Best app for learning mandarin?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Hyperchaotic, Jul 24, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Hyperchaotic

I was wondering if my iMac could give me a hand learning Mandarin. Google reveals some MacOS apps for this purpose but it is impossible for me to see what is good or not. Any recommendations will be very much appreciated :)

2. macrumors 68030

superbovine

get a real teacher.

3. macrumors 6502

meh.

Get a "pillow dictionary". Guaranteed fastest way to learn another language.

4. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

First, I have to say I agree with superbovine - you really need a teacher, and preferably a class.

That said, I´ve used both Wenlin (expensive) and Clavis Sinica (inexpensive) to complement my Chinese studies at a university here, and found both to be very good. Wenlin seems to operate much more smoothly, but Clavis is fine if you don´t have the bucks for Wenlin.

Both programs will help you through texts and give you pronunciation, but you´ll need - at the very least, and in addition to a teacher - GOOD grammar books (like Basic Chinese and Intermediate Chinese, Yip and Rimmington, published by Routledge). Those grammars are fantastic, I use them all the time as reference, but they´re very condensed - you really need quite a bit of vocabulary for the examples to make sense and be useful.

http://www.clavisinica.com/
    http://wenlin.com/

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hyperchaotic

Well...

Hadn't quite expected those first answers, guess I shouldv'e been more specific.
    My wife is chinese. I just wanted to play a bit with my Mac and see if I could supplement the learning a bit on my favourite toy.

Thanks for the tips, I'm heading there :)

6. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Start with Clavis then, you might find it´s enough. With a Chinese spouse, you certainly don´t have to look far for a teacher, lucky you :D

7. macrumors newbie

Chinese

Hi all,

I am interested learning Chinese as well. As far as I know it is really difficult to learn a langugae like Chinese. I was teaching myself for a while, but I failed. Now I am looking for a Chinese language that could significantly help me make progress in Chinese learning.

Any of you happen to know any program that is both practical and could be flexible. Please let me know know.

Thank you..

8. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

www.chinesepod.com is pretty good. Very flexible, with lots of tools. You can get the podcasts for free, but I really recommend buying one of the less expensive plans, so you get access to some of the tools.

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors newbie

thank you

Hey Mathew21 ,
    Thank you, it seems Minds Abroad really has some good stuff..

11. macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Rosetta Stone here... well at least that was what I used to learn Russian... but I cannot stress that going to night classes is the best thing to really learn a language...

12. macrumors newbie

Have a look at memrise and search in langauges for mandarin; there's quite a lot of stuff there and for various levels. Hsk1 and upwards.

I've been using it as a rank beginner and found it excellent, and most of it is free - needs a web browser though, don't think there's any downloadables.

http://www.memrise.com

13. macrumors newbie