Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a nice little 1080p video filmed from my iPad and just finished editing it using iMovie, of which I just purchased. I feel this home movie can use a little touch and want to add a small ten second clip from a certain YouTube video online.

What would be the best method in downloading this certain YouTube video onto my iPad to then import to iMovie to add my movie project?

The ipad isn't JB if intakes any difference.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Reactions: Ghost31

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Ok, I'll bite; how did you download Youtube videos w/ that program (Mymedia)?

I tried it, and on that built in browser, it says, "This Video is currently not available"

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just found an app called MyMedia which let me download a YouTube video, saved it to camera roll and iMovie found it. Love it!

Downloaded this app, went to YouTube, picked a video, tapped and held on the video, tapped download, gave it a name... And nothing happens :confused:

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
As i said above, for me on Youtube, it says the video doesn't exist. Tapping or holding on the video did nothing. Using the share url did nothing. Possible junk app?......at least for youtube.

I know on my pc, I use a program to download video in the format I want....pc only program.

Also, lots of ads.

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
I found this info; watch the 1st/left youtube video instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XqL-C1L9Q7k#!

EDIT: Final word, this app doesn't do anything more than many other ios ipad apps. You cannot drop this file into the generic photo/video stream on the ipad/iphone. The file(s) stay within the "MyMedia" app structure.

EDIT #2: Just use the EXCELLENT web browser iCab to download file links; once the file is downloads to iCab, you can do many things w/ it, including opening it in many apps that you already have installed.

Last edited:

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
I found this info; watch the 1st/left youtube video instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XqL-C1L9Q7k#!

EDIT: Final word, this app doesn't do anything more than many other ios ipad apps. You cannot drop this file into the generic photo/video stream on the ipad/iphone. The file(s) stay within the "MyMedia" app structure.

EDIT #2: Just use the EXCELLENT web browser iCab to download file links; once the file is downloads to iCab, you can do many things w/ it, including opening it in many apps that you already have installed.

This is good to know. Way back when, downloads HD allowed downloads of you tube video until they were caught they then eliminated this in an update. One day I mistakingly updated. Good to know there a still ways to do this.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I use iCab for plain youtube videos. Another app called Download (icon is green with an arrow pointing down with some other scribbling around the arrow). The Download app can grab videos off a lot of places other than Youtube. It uses a bookmarklet to do the downloading.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
as far as I can remember you can only use videos filmed on the iPad in iMovie for iPad. You would need to use a computer to incorporate the YouTube video.

this is a major flaw (IMO) with iMovie for iPad.

EDIT: http://www.ipadintouch.com/how-to-convert-youtube-video-to-edit-in-ipad-imovie/
that might help you

Actually I made a folder on my MacBook for videos I took with my iPhone. I synced that folder to my iPad and used those videos to make an iMovie trailer on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.