Best Apple USB Modem Alternative?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umiwangu, Feb 8, 2007.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I need a modem for my new Macbook. But it seems that the Apple modem is too expensive. What is the best USB modem that is compatible with Mac?

2. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Ookaaayyy. I guess that means there aren't any viable alternatives...
  3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    that's right - there probably aren't many. if you're looking for a non-apple alternative, how many do you think there are that make mac OS X software to go with it so it will work on a mac? it's not a huge market for a company to target and expect profits. modems are generally going the way of the duck-billed platypus with the prevalence and availability of wifi.

you could try google - i found this by googling "usb modem". it's the same price as the apple usb modem, but i did not check to see if it offers mac-compatible software with it. if that looks interesting to you, you should research this one and any others google shows you...
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    When you follow up to your own post it looks like your question has been answered. If you google for "Mac USB modem" you will find many things like this. They are clunky and often expensive compared to Apple's modem. A search for "USB Modems" finds many small, inexpensive modems. I do not know how compatible they are with Macs. That is research you can do on your own. Best wishes.
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
  6. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Thanks for the help folks. Unfortunately, there are places in this world that do not have wifi or even broadband. I guess I'll just get the Apple modem.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you know which modem Apple uses, I'm sure you can get the retail version.

But USB Modems (even cable and DSL versions) and Mac OS X tend to be real a PIA.

Likely you will find a modem and driver just about the time that an OS X update renders them useless.
  8. yangyin macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2008
  9. nornirishmack macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2008
    "3" usb installation drivers

Can ANYONE help me please?
    Recently purchased a Usb Mobile Broadband Modem on the 3 Network, this was to provide me with intenet in my home without a landline telephone.
    They are meant to work with all computers and they provide a driver for Macs. Now this driver is not working with my Mac and it would seem that on some Macs, the sofware provided by the n etwork simply is not compatible. Now so far in the uk, I have heard of about 250 similar cases and 3 seem to have no apparent knowledge.

Could anybody shead any light on this matter please, I just cannot seem to find a solution.....................
  10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2008
    Call the network and ask for help?
  11. lacidar macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2009
  12. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Jeepers dude. Thanks for hijacking my thread. (Yes, it is more than 2.5 years old.)
  13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2002
    Bay Area, Ca.
  14. MacFenton macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2009
    Central Florida
    Replacement choice

I've been looking for several days for a modem for and older G5 iMac and found that llterally no one has any of the Apple branded USB modems still available. I read reviews on Zoom modems, some no names and opted for the USR5637 USB modem, US Robotics. I ordered one yesterday through Amazon for under $50 (new not used), and with the SuperSaver 5-9 bus. day shipping it cost me nothing for the shipping. I could have had it faster, but with the economy I can afford to wait, more than I can wait to afford.
    See here for pricing:

Hope this helps. :apple:

15. cordroosen macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2009
    bluetooth dialup works fine

as i was searching for a cheaper alternative to the apple usb modem as well i will share my experience with a bluetooth analog dialup modem with you.

i shot it on ebay - new for 17 €

its a real neat small device which comes in a small neoprene travel bag.
    it weights nothing , size is comparable to a pack of cigarettes. included power adapter is light and small as well.

TYPHOON BLUETOOTH 56K WIRELESS MODEM KIT V.90 - 955660 MODEM KIT V.90 - 955660&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

i unpacked it an dumped the included usb stick in the trash since my macbook pro has bluetooth already.

the macbook pro 2010 model A1286 - snow leopard - found the modem via bluetooth instantly -
    i did not install any software! - bluetooth pin was 1111 - it was written on the underside of the modem. i was able to dial in the internet on the first attempt.

so now i can wirelessly connect per dialup when i travel. it works perfect and the range is like 25 meters.

much much more convenient - wireless - with the macbook compared to the wired apple usb modem.

16. spidennis macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2010
    while this is an old thread, the problem still exists, and now it's even worse .... no apple stock ...... at least in the US.

this bluetooth wireless modem looks cool .....
    but not to be found in the US?

so I dug up an old airport (the round one) ...
    it's got a phone jack on the back ...
    could I, can I use this?
  17. rkuntze macrumors member

Jun 13, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Yes, you can. I sold mine on Ebay last year--used it for years. Currently use the Apple USB modem for faxes.
  18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    This Zoom 3095-00-00G claims Mac compatible.

If you search Mac USB modem on eBay there are many 56K modems listed on eBay for about $10 shipped.

Are there not any cell data plans in your area. You could get a Tmobile compatible RAZR and unlock it then use it to tether your computer with their $10 basic unlimited cell data plan (none 3G) which should beat 56K speeds.
  19. AimeeLarry macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2010
    Other options: type mac USB modem at's search box, you can find there are many mac supported USB modems be listed, then select the best one that meets your need. :)
  20. animatedude macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2010
    can i use the apple modem as a DSL modem? lol