Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Whelp, to make a long story short - I'm fed up with my OLD 802.11a/b DLink router, transferring files between my PC desktop and MBP is disgustingly slow.

I figure as long as Apple finally released the N firmware update for the Atheros card in my MBP, I might as well get a draft N router.

From what I've read, the Netgear pre-n routers with the Airgo chipsets are the best performers, HOWEVER this will likely not be the case if you use the Atheros XPan chipset in the MBP, so am I to believe that the best option for me is to go with a router that uses the Atheros chipset? I should think so...

Anyways, that narrows it down to the D-Link routers (DIR-625, 635, and 655) I suppose I could get the Belkin N1 but it looks like a toy and costs too much for what it is.

Best Buy has the 625 on sale for $79.99! :eek: I'd rather get the 635 with the additional antenna but from what I've read on anandtech it's only good for a slight range increase, and minimal speed increases (if any.)

Hm, does anyone own one of these things? I'm just looking for some guidance here!

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Nevermind.

The "enabler" still isn't out yet. I'm an idiot.

That "free" firmware update does NOT enable 802.11n, as had been rumored around the internet recently. It's simple a revision of the current Airport firmware.

My guess is that they won't release this till the Airport Extreme routers start to ship at the end of Feb. :( Even then, it looks like it will still be $1.99 (which I understand to a certain extent, their story about how they are required to charge some kind of fee for a "significant product enhancement" that expands on a products initial performance.)

Crap.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Well, ideally, the one to get would be the European WRT300N v2.0. It has an Atheros chipset. In the states I'm not sure what would be best since I have yet to test the 802.11n functionality of any router, particularly my own WRT300N v1.0 with its Broadcom chipset. I think most of the interoperability problems that existed with early draft hardware have been worked out, but we'll have to wait for the 802.11n firmware update before we can truly know.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Well, ideally, the one to get would be the European WRT300N v2.0. It has an Atheros chipset. In the states I'm not sure what would be best since I have yet to test the 802.11n functionality of any router, particularly my own WRT300N v1.0 with its Broadcom chipset. I think most of the interoperability problems that existed with early draft hardware have been worked out, but we'll have to wait for the 802.11n firmware update before we can truly know.

I agree, from the firmware updates posted on D-Link's website for the Atheros routers, there have been a number of updates that solve problems with the Marvel and other draft-n chipsets out there. It seems like everyone's finally getting somewhere with the draft research and all.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I own a DIR-625, it's great. Never shut off or crashed since i bought it, and I use a buttload of torrents, downloads, etc. Heavy duty and high quality. Haven't tried its N capabilites yet, obviously.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I am actually in the market for something similar, since I ordered a APX and my housemate was asking me for a recommenation of a PC compatible 802.11n USB adapter that he can get so he can get good file sharing speeds.

Then I realised something, none of the adapters on the market currently explicitly mention that they are draft 2.0.

I think it is wiser to wait, since between draft and draft 2.0 the differences can be quite significant.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
I would recommend any of the linksys wrt's that will run dd-wrt. dd-wrt is the best thing for your router since sliced bread.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I would recommend any of the linksys wrt's that will run dd-wrt. dd-wrt is the best thing for your router since sliced bread.

I don't know about the non-n routers from linksys, but from the reviews that I've seen that router was consistently the worst performing of the bunch, in range, speed, reliability, compatibility, etc. I wouldn't suggest it from what I've seen.

I ended up going for the DIR-655 from D-Link, I figure if the 802.11n wait is too long I can use the gigabit capabilities for guaranteed speed and stuff. :D

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I don't know about the non-n routers from linksys, but from the reviews that I've seen that router was consistently the worst performing of the bunch, in range, speed, reliability, compatibility, etc. I wouldn't suggest it from what I've seen.

I ended up going for the DIR-655 from D-Link, I figure if the 802.11n wait is too long I can use the gigabit capabilities for guaranteed speed and stuff. :D

What reviews?

DD-WRT is the best thing since sliced bread. You can even run OpenVPN on those things!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Sorry to say this, but the DIR-655 when mixed with my network, effectively killed it. My internet upstream died (30 Kbps reported, instead of the normal 368), and my wireless 802.11n clients performed WORSE than 802.11b clients. I just bought one, and am having to take it back since it can't even perform as well as my WRT54G.

I agree with the other poster who said "wait".

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I am actually in the market for something similar, since I ordered a APX and my housemate was asking me for a recommenation of a PC compatible 802.11n USB adapter that he can get so he can get good file sharing speeds.

Then I realised something, none of the adapters on the market currently explicitly mention that they are draft 2.0.

I think it is wiser to wait, since between draft and draft 2.0 the differences can be quite significant.
Draft 2.0 is exactly the same as the draft 1.1 that has already been announced. It's just that they are going to rename it to draft 2.0 when they formally approve it.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/22/80211n/index.php

Macworld said:
Temporarily dubbed draft version 1.10, it will go out as version 2.0 when it is released to the full IEEE 802.11n committee, about 400 strong, by the end of the month.[/QOUTE]

Macworld said:
Manufacturers like Atheros, Intel, and Apple and their customers will be happy to hear that version 1.10 is compatible with the pre-802.11n products they have already created.[/QOUTE]
In other worlds, most products out now can be updated to Draft 1.1 which means they are already Draft 2.0 ready since that's the same thing.

It's actually bad that Macworld uses the term Pre-N since Draft-N and Pre-N are not the same thing. Pre-N routers are a proprietary standard that basically extends 802.11g to use MIMO technology, while Draft-N is actually the standard that is related to 802.11n. I've seen some people complaining that the Airport Enabler doesn't help increase the speed with their "N" routers, which makes me wonder if what they have are Pre-N instead of Draft-N.

Sadly it looks like there may still be a further Draft 3.0 coming before N is finally approved in 2008. Hopefully Draft 3.0 is basically just a production name rather than adding major changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.