Best back up program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rxl125, May 8, 2006.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

I have an intel iMac 17" and I am wondering what is the best way to backup all my harddrive? I have an external HD, is there a program that will look at my HD and compress it to the external drive? Is there anything on OSX that does this, or do I have to buy a program...

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, for donationware and shareware, there's Carbon Copy CLoner, and SuperDuper!. No compression there though..

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There's a box in the top, right-hand corner of the web page with a button beside it called "Search Forums". Its for questions that may have been answered many, many times already. 3 times today already, as a matter of fact.

4. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

so if I get this right, the super whatever program and carbon both copy the hard drive bit for bit, so if my main HD has 30 gigs on it, the backup with be 30 bigs in size as well?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That is correct (in essence*).. it will erase the target driver first, so I suggest partitioning it if you don't want to waste space.

Not a bit for bit, but file for file, hierarchicly.

6. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

is there a program that will write in a compressed matter?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

tar.. sort of. and then gzip.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of any backup utils that compress on the fly that don't cost $$$$. If you need to do that, check out Retrospect from Dantz as a starting place.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

SuperDuper allows you to output to a disk image file, I think it allows for a compressed dmg file as well.

EDIT: I just checked and it does give you the option of making a compressed .dmg

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't want to try and compress (post disk imaging) something as large as 30+GB. But that's just me.

10. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Superduper! Amazing proggy and great customer service.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, I do remember trying it one time and it took about 5 or 6 times as long, plus I don't know if you have the option of Smart Updates (which only comes with the paid version anyway).