best backup drive for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brettcovington, Jan 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

What is the best backup drive for a macbook pro? I have the early 2011 Sandy Bridge macbook pro.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

any external hard drive using Time Machine will get the job done

3. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any external HDD will do. Some though, seem to have issues with the WD series of drives. But you can get a decent HDD from OWC (www.macsales.com).

4. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I use two InXtron (was MacPower) SK-3500 Super-S (contains a Oxford Semiconductor OXUF934DSB bridge) with two WD WD20EARS and a 3 m FW800 9-pin cable (good quality, very good shielding). The enclosures support FW800 and daisy chaining. The read/write speed in this configuration: up to 95 MByte/s. This configuration is very silent.

Btw, you should probably buy the SK-3500 Super-S3, because it supports USB 3.0 (supported by Ivy Bridge CPUs) and has newer firmware, which supports drives > 2.2 TB.

5. macrumors 68030

The best? Any of the thunderbolt external HDs - you should be able to complete full backups in a couple of minutes. A bit pricey though ;)

6. macrumors 6502a

bobcan

7. macrumors newbie

DroboFS

Personally, I use a DroboFS, but I also live in two worlds (windows and Mac) all day. So for me I need a very open storage solution that works well and reliably. The Droo is not the fastest solution on the market today but then again I'll take the performance hit over a good backup solution.

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

It back from my main drive to my optibay drive.

As for my optibay drive—I don't back it up. :eek: