Best bang for the buck Macbook Pro (with Leopard)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by firefoxnx, Dec 26, 2006.

1. firefoxnx macrumors member

firefoxnx

Get the ADC Select membership for $500. That entitles you to purchase hardware from the ADC store. Get the 15"/2Gb/2.33GHz MBP for $500 less than original price. You get to download Leopard right away.
    Get the most out of the $3k you will spend.

What do you think?

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

don't you need to be a Select member for AT LEAST a year... i think they only give you the discount after renewing your membership before your first year expires.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The Apple Student Developer membership DOESN'T include Leopard. You have to be a select member and that's a whole different thing. Although, the student membership does come with a substantial once-in-a-lifetime discount.

(edit: oops, sorry thought you were talking about student membership. Move along, nothing more to see here)

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just one note: To download Leopard, you actually enter a serious contract with Apple, which Apple will enforce if necessary. Showing Leopard to anyone who doesn't need to see it to develop Macintosh software is against that contract, so that makes it impossible to install Leopard on your MacBook and take it with you. Or use Leopard at home if you have a family, unless you have a study that you keep permanently locked. Posting screenshots to MacRumors will get you into serious trouble, uploading Leopard onto a Bittorrent gets you into trouble of unknown size.

But of course if you want to develop Mac software, a Select membership isn't a bad idea at all.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

To be honest, you might aswell wait a few extra months. Paying $500 for leopard and a DISCOUNT on your MBP, not $500 off the price, doesnt seem to be worth it in my book.

Although, when leopard comes out thats when I'll be writing my pieces of software (personal uses first with intention to sell)

6. firefoxnx thread starter macrumors member

firefoxnx

On second thought...

Well ofcourse getting Leopard comes with NDA. But its great for developers/power users who want to stay ahead of the curve.

On second thought this HP Pavilion laptop looks pretty sweet. I can't believe Apple is lagging behind?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No - the hardware discount is available immediately now. Used to be different.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I can't quite see how would develop Leopard applications on an HP Pavilion. Since this is the point of this thread, and HP doesn't have any laptops that allow Leopard development, not even laptops that can legally run MacOS X at all, I would say it is HP which is lagging behind.

9. firefoxnx thread starter macrumors member

firefoxnx

I wasn't implying that. Just trying to comparison shop and the HP hardware specs measure up pretty good.

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

so in fact, you dont want to develop software. you just want a MBP for cheap and think getting the developer pack with pre-release of Leopard is a smarter move.

If you wanted to develop software for the Mac.. buy a Mac. dont go 'comparative shopping' against HP's when they are a different class in themselves.

11. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Not to mention when some new Leopard seeds are introduced they are as only full installs, no upgrade path. So you'd have to reinstall all apps you have and backup all your documents. Sounds like a hassle that's not worth it. Plus it shouldn't be used in a production environment either.

12. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

That's the 2nd forum you've brought up the HP Pavillion in, in 12 hours as a MacRumors member. Setting yourself up as a troll to be ignored.:(

13. firefoxnx thread starter macrumors member

firefoxnx

WTF? Look at my profile before accusing me of being a HP troll. I don't own any HP sh*t. I own intel iMac, iBook G4 and former Powerbook G4.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I'd say that it is Apple which is lagging behind with software licensing.

While more evolved corporations like Microsoft knows how to sell intangible "licenses" for money and make more than Apple does in a year within a single quarter, Apple is still going with the ole hardware lockin/DRM dongle approach.

Hello 1980s!

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

We are mac users, we don't care about hardware specs.

<excuse> Oh and by the way the HP is so fugly, and enjoy lugging your 1.6" thick laptop through town, no way that is gonna get you laid... :rolleyes: