1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Best battery for 12" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kraftzwerg, Jan 23, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

After 200 battery cycles, my battery lost more than one third of its capacity and I'm in the market for a 2nd battery for my 12"PB (last revision model). Besides the original Apple battery, I have noticed two other offerings, the "high capacity" battery at OWC, and the Trupower Battery, which is a lot cheaper, has less nominal capacity, but claims to have some special energy saving electronics ...

Do you have any experience with non-Apple batteries for the 12" PB ?

2. macrumors 68030

I had one of the NewerTech batteries in my Powerbook Ti back in the day, and it was quite the performer. Held a really long charge, longer than my original Apple one. I'd recommend them, but I would look around to see if I could score one cheaper, if I were you (like on eBay).

3. macrumors newbie

I bought the OWC battery recently for my 12" PB. It works fine, actually I get a bit more time from it than from the original Apple battery. But it doesn't fit as well as the original - I had to press really hard to get it to go in, and it sticks out a tiny bit in the front. From reading the Powerbook forum at Apple.com, getting replacement batteries that fit correctly is something of a problem, no matter who you buy it from.

4. macrumors 6502

I had a NewerTech extended battery in my TiBook 800... it was awesome. After three and a half years of use, my original battery was in rough shape, and the new one put me in the 5 hour range. I only ever got 3.5 to 4 hours on my original battery.