Best bet podcasting equipment?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by wallraff, Mar 26, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2009
    I am planning to start a podcast where I interview one or two persons each time around a table in different locations (no permanent studio rather in guests environment) and I need advice on what gear to get and use.
    What I have now is:
    Macbook air with garageband
    Zoom H4n
    1pcs Behringer C1 xlr
    1pcs Rode lav mic

Would it be easiest to record directly to garageband by getting usb mic?
    I thought of getting a Blue Snowball or Yeti mic.

Would it be sufficient with one omnidirectional mic like the Yeti or do i need more?

All advices on podcast setups appreciated.
  2. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    The rule is to get the microphone as physically close to the sound as you possibly can. An omni mic would be a poor choose in an uncontrolled environment because it would pick up the sound of a passing truck or airplane or whatever just as well as the voices you want. You want a directional mic that is aimed right at the speaker. The best is a hand mic that is two inches from the speaker's face. But if that looks bad on the screen then use a lav mic clipped to their shirt.

The news guys use the directional hand microphone for a reason. It rejects sound that are not 2 inches directly in front.

If the mic is not close it will pick up reflected sound off the walls and what not. A lot depends on the "look" you want. If you absolutely can't have a mic on screen then hire a sound guy to hold a boom but for most interviews a lav mic does not look bad, just hide the wire under the clothing

If this is audio-only then it gets easy. Each speaker get his own mic that is boom mounted and with a pop-screen and he speaks directly into the mic