Best Blank DVDs?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GoGoSamGo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Feb 28, 2007
    I know that this probably isn't the right place to post this but people were very nice with my last question. I'm going to be editing a lot of stuff and burning many dvds (not only for myself but for others too). My question is for those of you who have experience with burning DVDs, what brand is the best, as in which one's seem to be flawless for you, which one's seem to work in almost most of the DVD players you know? My last question is about the speed listed on the blank DVDs, is it best to get one's that are 16x or does it not matter? Thank you for your help guys.
  2. Macvideopro macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2007

Taiyo Yuden is a good brand for burning DVDs.
    I have burned hundreds of Taiyo Yuden DVDs and I haven't had a single problem. You can get them at Make sure to get the Premium line.
  3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I second the recommendation for Taiyo Yuden. Many, many people in a variety of online forums claim that they got the best and most consistent results with media from this company.

- Martin
  4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    I like HP, but I don't burn thousands, I haven't had a bad one yet.
  5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I like TDK myself. Been using since 1999 with my first CD-R drive and no coasters yet. I did a few video projects with it and haven't had a bad one.
  6. dadsp33k macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2007
    Parkville, MD
  7. scott182 macrumors member

May 23, 2004
    Madison, WI
    As you can see already, most people here will probably recommend Taiyo Yuden. I've never used them, but I've burned hundreds of HP and TDK discs and never had any problems yet playing them in standalone DVD players and computer drives. I can usually find these for cheaper than the Taiyo Yudens seem to sell for.

I could be wrong, but I think the speed of the discs will only limit how quickly they can be burned. Theoretically, a 16x disc should burn twice as fast as an 8x disc, though this probably isn't always the case in real life. Of course, you'll need a 16x burner to see these results. I've used 8x and 16x discs with the same results using an 8x burner.
  8. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I'd say Verbatim are the best I've used. Sony is awesome too.

I've had some not-so-good experience with Fujifilm.
  9. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    We use Ridata at work with very good results.
  10. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    Roswell, GA
    I've been using Memorex 16x DVD-Rs for a long time, and never had a coaster. They are usually on sale somewhere every week for $20 per 100. This way you don't have to waste your money on shipping and handling.
  11. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there

videohelp seemes to have a very good review section for things like media, players, burners, etc.

12. djdawson macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
  13. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I've got a few questions. I've been using Sony DVDs in our house on our dvd player and everything seems perfect without any problems. However and other dvd players, after about a half an hour of playing on a different brand, it pauses and plays a little like its skipping around. Would this be because the DVD is hard for the player to read? I was thinking about getting some taiyo yuden dvds and was wondering if that might help out.

Also on a side note, if my dvd burner in my imac is having a hard time reading burned movies that I have done on it, would this be a sign that my burner is going out? It burns movies fine, but then once its done and i put them in again it won't be able to read them a lot of the time. Thanks for the help.