Best Blogging Software - ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Aug 5, 2005.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Hi there...

Currently I'm doing a little blogging over at Blogger. BUT, I get annoyed with having to go to the website all the time...and DashBlog (a widget), is great but doesn't have all the functionality I'd like. PLUS, I'm planning to move my blog to my own server, and DashBlog didn't act very friendly there (could be operator error).

SO, I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Blogging softare...right now I'm trying out <a href="http://ecto.kung-foo.tv/">ecto</a>. It looks nice and OS X-ish, and also has a nice icon (very important).

Anyone?

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I like RapidWeaver the best. iBlog is a popular one as well.

3. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I hear Ecto is the best. I use Live Journal, unfortunately Ector doesn't work with it but it does work with Blogger.

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

My only complaint with ecto (after a few hours of fiddling) is that it's a little unstable. It has crashed on me two or three times. Also, some of the templates don't seem to want to stick after quitting the app. BUT, the interface is nice, and as long as your editing in html mode (rather than rich text) it seems to work great.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If memory serves, WordPress allows for e-mail posting. Set it up and you can post an entry by sending a plain-text e-mail.

No more visiting the site to make your posts, but other than that I thinks it's totally web-based.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Does indeed.

You can still edit all your files locally. You can even install a local wordpress on your Mac.

8. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I use MovableType and sometimes ecto to publish my articles. Right now I think people can get MovableType free, they are doing the 3.2 beta right now. I used the 3.0 beta for a very long time and it was complete with no restrictions like the pay version. Since then I have bought MT simply cause they make wonderful software and felt like supporting them.

jon

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

gotta love Wordpress. brilliant blog suite thing

11. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Wordpress for me! Wouldn't use anything else. Easy, stable, fast, and produces a nice little RSS feed for you.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

hands down the best.

13. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

All good comments. I think in the future I'd like to move to movable type or wordpress, but for the moment, I'm going to stick with Blogger and continue using ecto -- it does a lot of what I want to do, I just have to learn html a little better.

Go on...

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If you want to see what tools I use on my site (in the works) check out this page.

15. andysmith macrumors 6502

I use Nucleus on the server - it's a brilliant piece of software, and not over-complicated (like WordPress, I've found), with a great range of plugins. It's also very easy to skin and template.

Most of the time I use Ecto to blog to it.

16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I really like MyBloggie. Its a PHP application, and I run it on my SquareBlog site. Best thing is, if you know PHP/CSS you can get it to look like the rest of your site, and if you want a feature adding, post a message on the forum and the guys that coded it will look at implementing your idea. Awesome.