best bluetooth mouse (not mighty mouse)???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2288, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

I'm looking for a good bluetooth mouse to go with my MBP. i ordered a mighty mouse a while back (the wired ones) and the trackball blows, even if i give it a good cleaning.

so i'm looking for a non-mighty mouse bluetooth mouse that is compatible with the MBP.

easy to use, and some programmable buttons would be nice. i'd be willing to shoot for the 50ish range at this point.

many thanks.

2. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I think the short story is that there aren't any very good BT mice. One problem is the the bandwidth of BT isn't as high as the Rf mice and people who want a good quality wireless mouse go with RF. I wish I had a better answer. I *HATE* my wireless mighty mouse. It is a *mighty* turd. Not sure what I'll do next, but I might go with the Logitech MX (or VX?) Revolution.

Wish I has an answer that you'd find more satisfying.

4. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

that's fine. at least i know i should change what i'm looking for.

a friend of mine on campus has this great logitech mouse. i should find out if it's mac-compatible.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Just to chime in, I love my BT MM. Best mouse ever.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i agree that there aren't many, if any at all, good bluetooth mice out there. i have a macbook and use a logitech mx revolution with it, and i could not be happier. i tried the wireless mighty mouse for a bit, but i couldn't deal with it. i hated the buttons, and i hated the trackball.

7. macca07 macrumors newbie

I bought a used wired Mighty Mouse, just to see if I would like it, before paying out for the BT version..... presuming the 2 are the same in use, I wont be buying the BT version!

Therefore I too have looked around for a BT mouse... with a view to using both with this iMac which has Bluetooth... but also further down the line, plan to get a MacBook of some description.

People here have mentioned alternative RF type mice... but as far as I know, these all require a transmitter of some sort hanging out the back of your PC, which to me seems a bit inelegant, when BT does away with all this.

Additionally I liked the fact that the BT Mighty Mouse is a laser mouse, so should in theory be able to be used on any surface.

With this in mind,the only equivalent mouse I could find (laser tracking, BT, no requirement for a seperate cradle for transmitter or recharging) was this mouse....

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=AMB03US

no idea if its any good... and my only gripe is that I would prefer it int he more subdued grey and black of their other mice!

If anyone has any other suggestions for a BT/laser mouse I would love to hear them.

8. ready2switch macrumors 6502

I ordered a RadTech mouse about 2 weeks ago and so far I love it. I got the BT600 because I wanted a 5-button mouse for gaming. It's a little bit smaller than the wired mouse I was using (an old MS Intellipoint) but now that I've gotten used to it, the other seems huge.

It comes with batteries which are rechargeable via the included USB cable, and you can use it as a wired mouse while it's charging. It was very easy to set up on my husband's Dell laptop and the website has the Mac driver. I plan on using it when I get my MBP.

That model is $59.95. RadTech has other BT mice (not 5-button) that are less if you're not looking to spend that much or not needing 5-buttons. Shipping was very fast. My only disappointment was that it is not metallic, the shell is a white rubbery material, which is actually pretty comfortable once you get used to it. I highly recommend (again, after only 2 weeks of use).

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx

9. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I've had my MediaPlay Logitech mouse for as long as I can remember (which really isn't saying much). I will probably use it on my new mac and see how many buttons I can get working. IT has yet to fail me. The scroll is starting to wear in (but that comes with age) but still works nonetheless. :)

10. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Will that radtech mouse work on any surface like the MM?

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think the BT MM is the best BT mouse out there right now. That's not to say it's perfect. The right click is a little unreliable if you're gaming, and the side buttons could be easier to push. But it doesn't randomly lose its connection, it doesn't go in to a low power mode after a few minutes of inactivity (requiring several seconds to "wake up" again), the battery life can be checked in system preferences, and the scroll ball is fantastic.

I have that mouse too (I replaced it with the mighty mouse). The problems I had were that it lost its connection every so often seemingly at random, that it needed to be recharged every couple of days, and that the white rubber is impossible to keep clean.

With its five buttons, 800 dpi, and recharge-via-cable trick, it seemed like the perfect BT mouse. But it just didn't work like I'd hoped.

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

13. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Yes. I use it on a pillow while playing games on my couch. :D

14. ready2switch macrumors 6502

I haven't had any issues with dropped connection at all. I do have to recharge often, but I would categorize my use as being far above average. I don't find the recharge to be a hassle, though, as you can pause for 15 seconds, plug in both ends of the cord, wait for the red light and go again. Also, I haven't had any problems with it being white.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Logitech v270.. definitely the best bluetooth mouse ever.

Tracking is very accurate and batteries last for 2-3 months before needing to be replaced.

$35 at newegg

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, maybe I just had a bad one. They did just replace it for me, but now I prefer my BT MM. the dropped connection came mostly in games - one seond I'd be fine, and the next i'd be immobile, getting pummled to death. that got old fast.

When I say recharge "often," I mean every couple of days. I know it's just a matter of plugging it in, but if it's always going to be plugged in, I might as well have a corded mouse. By contrast, I've had my BT MM 3-4 weeks now and it still shows 5 bars of battery despite rarely being turned off and having no "low power" sleep mode.

the staining really was the final straw though. it's not like i use my computer with dirty hands, but this looked yellowish-brown (same color as the macbooks stain, btw) after only a month. and not even bleach dented the stain.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, though. I really think that on its face, it's the best BT mouse out there, so if it works well for you, that's great.

17. ready2switch macrumors 6502

As far as recharging goes, I just remembered that in my excitement of getting a new toy, I opened it up at work and left 1 of the included batteries on my desk. I went out and bought rechargeable Duracell's and they vary on their recharge time. I have yet to use the included batteries so I don't know how those might compare.

18. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i hated this mouse. it just didn't work very well - the BT connection kept dropping out and the tracking was very poor on more than one surface.