Best Browser for 7.5.5. on LC III?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mopedfreak, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mopedfreak macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    Old timer question I have a souped up Mac LC III with 36megs ram and a 2.1 gig hard drive hooked up to my Cable modem.

I want to use this old beast as a "guest computer" for occasional use.

I installed system 7.5.5 and Apple Open transport. then downloaded IE 4.01.

It works, but not all that well.

So, What is the best Internet browser for this old Mac? I'm not to worried about speed, I just want the majority of sites to work.

Any ideas?
  2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    Netscape or icab....

but in all honesty, the best browser for anything that is os9 or under is IE....
  3. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    It should be noted that that hardware is not fully up to supporting most web pages on the net today. There are no browsers for it that support later web layout formats, Java support would be limited at best, Flash/Shockwave support would be minimal to nonexistent and image rendering within a browser would be slow and very memory intensive.

Given the limited hardware and the resources most modern pages require, Netscape Navigator (not Communicator) 4.0.8 would be a good choice for that system. Even then, you'll have to be picky about where you go on the net. Plus cable networking speeds far exceed the standard port speeds on those older systems. You may have gotten around this using an LC expansion card for ethernet, but even that would have relatively limited through put.

I don't even attempt to connect any of my 68k systems to the net anymore. The slowest system I have with a browser is my Quadra 950 (upgraded to a PowerPC 601 at 66 MHz with 1 MB of L2, 136 MB of memory and 2 MB of VRAM) and it is painful going to most sites these days on that system.