Best Browser for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wasimyaqoob, Sep 23, 2006.

1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Whats the best Internet Browser for Mac?

Firefox, IE, Safari?

I find Safari is quicker than Firefox.

2. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

Depends on the system:

G3 - Camino
    G4 - Firefox
    G5 - Firefox
    Intel - Safari (Is FF working universal now?)

That's an opinion of course, but Safari has too many problems with most sites that I see now-a-days...

3. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

FireFox has been slow for me lately, so i'm using Safari and its really quick.

4. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

There's also the issue of Keychain, is there a way for it to share passwords between browsers?

5. iVersa macrumors 6502

Safari is great, only minor problem I ever get is not being able to scroll in iframes, but only sometimes.

6. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i use both Safari & Firefox, plus i have Opera & IE installed but hardly touch them

7. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

My favourite is Safari, but I wish it was more reliable at correctly rendering websites... it seems to have got a lost worse over the past few months. I find Firefox is better in that respect.

As for IE for Mac, eugh! For a start, M$ don't support it any more, and also, it actually uses a different rendering engine than the Windows version... so if you were thinking of using IE for compatability reasons, you'll only be wasting your time.

I deleted IE from my system and never looked back.

SL

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

at first, i used Camino on my MBP but recently switched to Safari because it is fastest. Firefox is just too slow and Camino was beginning to lag.

IE is not available on the new Macs, to my knowledge

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Firefox is the way to go. If you want a browser that is compatibile with almost every website and will be a whole lot more stable over Safari in the long term, it's the way to go.

And the 2.0 Beta 2 is the best.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Firefox has been UB for a long time.
    I like firefox over safari because:
    1. single window mode
    2. extensions
    3. compatibility
    camino is good, but I like things more flexible and active, (Im using FX nightly, auto update everyday....)

12. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i find that safari cant load some of the pages out there, firefox is just the best for my powerbook anyways

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

None of the above, or all of the above. In fact, I'd say all of the above. Some sites don't work on some browsers. Firefox on the Mac has been getting less and less stable for me as of late. Camino has bugs, Shiira is in beta and Safari is useless on many sites. Not tried Opera. But they all do certain things pretty well, but they also all do certain things very badly. So I'd say just use'em all and see how you get on.

Personally, from a 'Work like Mac' point of view I prefer a combination of Camino and Shiira. But functionally this is probably the worst pairing. Firefox is the most universally compatible browser but is not Mac-like and the Mac version is extremely flaky compared to the rock-solid Windows version.

I feel this is kind of a major achilles heel of the Mac. I do a lot of browsing and more and more of my stuff is going Web. But there's no single browser that you can really depend on on the OS X platform. Putting aside the issues of IE exploits, in Windows both IE and Firefox are functionally complete for the entire web.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Meh, YMMV. Safari is compatible and stable for me.

Safari is the most "Mac-like" browser (with the prettiest rendering), though it does get hung up on a few things sometimes. Firefox is kind of clunky but works very well too. Camino is a good more-Mac-like alternative to Firefox.

15. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I go between Camino, Firefox, and Safari. I always end up coming back to Safari.

Also, and I know it's not a big deal, but I wish Firefox had a better UI.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's getting there. It's a whole lot better than it used to be.

17. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Internet Explorer :eek: :D ;)

**Edit** Eh, someone did already. But come on, IE is the s**t!!!! Old school browsing FTW!!! Wow...I must be drunk...

I use Safari for about 99% of my browsing and FireFox for the 1% that Safari doesn't seem to like.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it will be using cocoa widget in 3.0. there is test build on mozilla's ftp server already, but not stable

19. lindstrom macrumors member

I say OmniWeb. A very pleasant browser with all the options I have ever wanted to so far. Nice layout as well. Yes, it costs a few $ but I am very happy with my choice.

/Erik

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What...? Try Safari preferences -> Tabs -> Enable tabbed browsing... ;)

BTW: I'm using Firefox 2.0b2. Had to fiddle a bit to get the Context Search add-on (aka extension) to work, but with that and AdBlock Plus running, Safari is just plain annoying to use.

21. pengu macrumors 6502a

um. try installing acidsearch and pithhelmet for safari. i use firefox at work (win xp) but only because there isnt a Konq/Safari port to win32.

firefox doesnt integrate properly with ANY OS its on, and integration is a big thing for me.

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I used AcidSeach intensively whan I was using Safari (but disabled it now, because I'm using Webkit instead of Safari) - who do you think made the "MacRumors forums" AcidSearch channel...? ;)

PitHelmet (and Saft and any other Safari enhancer I've tried) are the spawn of the Devil and will not - in all foreseeable future - be installed on any Mac I'm using... neither reaches Adblock, Adblock Plus or Flashblock to their knees, and where Firefox is made for add-ons/extentions, Safari barely tolerates them. I've lost count on the number of Safari crashes I had when trying most enhancers (even AcidSearch).

Safari also tends to disabling a couple of enhancers for every little update, Firefox add-ons are for the most part just rendered useless on major updates...

Firefox is brilliant because I can actually choose which language the spell checker is using (built-in from version 2.0 - had to use Spellbound on 1.5). Try getting Norwegian spell checking in Safari under Tiger... :rolleyes:

23. pengu macrumors 6502a

um. i dont want to seem rude, but "making" an AcidSearch channel is about as hard as eating a sandwich.

24. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I use Camino - it gives you some of the features of Saft for Safari without having to buy and install anything. At this point, I don't remember why else I chose to ditch Safari, but I probably had other reasons. I think OmniWeb is coming along nicely, will consider it again after the next upgrade.