Best browser for OS X 10.1.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GnarleyMarley, Apr 25, 2006.

1. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

I'm using the stock IE at the moment, but it doesn't let me view most sites to their full potential. I was looking into Camino 1.0 and the new Firefox, but both say they require 10.2 or higher. So what other options do I have beside IE?

Thanks.

2. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

3. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

thats a terribly unreliable os. how is it that you cant find a simple, cheap upgrade to jaguar or panther?

4. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

I'd really like to. Where would be the best place to get an os upgrade? ebay?

5. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

6. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Strange, which program gives you this error?

7. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Internet Explorer

8. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Ebay would be a good place to start. The big question is what hardware are you running? Panther is a great investment but you have to be able to run in smoothly to enjoy it to the max.

10. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

700mhz 128mb 20gb

11. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

well, I would recomend you upgrade the RAM, it makes a whole world of a difference. Is it a G3?

12. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Nope. I d/l it and when I try and select it through the applications menu I can't.

Would it be easier for me to d/l firefox for mac to my pc and save it to disc and then transfer it over?

13. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Yes, if you have a PC, just download Mozilla for Mac (Not Firefox) using the PC.

14. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Awesome. Got it!:D

15. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

I think you will get a significant increase in satisfaction if you look for a cheap upgrade to 10.2. And while I second the upgrade to RAM to make it work better, as long as you have enough availible HD space it will still be more stable and compatible than what you are currently using.

Also, if you have trouble downloading the browser you could always have someone use http://beta.yousendit.com/ to have a link to an already expanded version of the program e-mailed to you...If the burning a CD thing doesnt work for you that is.

16. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Is there a plugin that I am missing from Mozilla to play like the audio from myspace.com or video from mlb.com? Like on myspace.com I get error connecting. Also it won't seem to let em log in. It's not a huge deal, but I'm just wondering if there is a fix or if the browser just doesn't support it.

17. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

I got it to work. Thanks anyway man.

10.2 Jaguar?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Software-Apple-...716777885QQcategoryZ80258QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will that work???

18. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

It should work fine, but again I say you should upgrade the RAM, 512 being the bare minimum.

Also, I would recommend Panther over Jaguar. Although I haven't used any of them before, most programs out there require atleast Panther to work. In addition, Panther introduced a great feature called Exposé, which I don't think I could work on a Mac without it: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

Here's an eBay link to Panther: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

19. GnarleyMarley thread starter macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Alright. I'm just going to get Panther and d/l Camino once I get it installed. Is $39.99 a fair price for 10.3?

20. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I don't know, it depends on you. It originally sold for $129. But it's much better than Jaguar, and a lot more compatible in terms of software.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have a few full legal copies of Tiger that I can let go for fairly cheap. PM me if interested.