Best Buy Again Offering Buy One, Get One Free 32GB iPhone 4 This Weekend

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a replay of their Christmas Eve offer, BestBuy is again offering the 32GB iPhone 4 in a Buy One, Get One Free offer.

Apple doesn't officially offer the 32GB iPhone 4 anymore. After the introduction of the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 is being officially sold now as an 8GB model only, but 32GB models must remain from previous inventory. The 32GB iPhone 4 costs $199 with a 2 year contract. Both phones need to be signed up for the two year contract, but this still represents a $199 savings if you are in the market for a new iPhone 4.

The offer is for in-store purchases only this Friday and Saturday.

Article Link: Best Buy Again Offering Buy One, Get One Free 32GB iPhone 4 This Weekend

2. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

They must really have a surplus stock of 32GB iPhone4s. :eek:

3. macrumors 65816

parapup

I thought BOGO was only for 'cheap' Android phones? :confused:

Anyhoo this will help iOS maintain its market share for the umpteenth time next quarter so it's all good :p

4. macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

16GB is more than enough for 80% of people. Not surprised that 32GBs are in this deal.

5. macrumors 68040

Maybe, maybe not.

Best Buy has about 1,100 stores in the U.S. If twenty people took advantage of this offer (two phones apiece) at each location, we'd be talking about 44,000 units. Apple sold about 20 million iPhones last quarter, so in the grand scheme of things, 44K handsets is a drop in the bucket.

From a logistical standpoint, it may be more expedient for Best Buy to clear out inventory this way. They are probably getting a silent nod of approval from Apple. Apple has likely set the wholesale buyback price of the discounted 32GB iPhone 4 model very low. With the logistics headache and expense of recovering the discontinued handsets from the various retail stores, Best Buy probably decided to take hit on the margins.

6. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Best Buy is trying to make up for screwing over a bunch of customers at Christmas for not delivering their gifts on time. Maybe they should send those customers a free iPhone :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder what OS those phones have installed.

8. macrumors 68020

Doesn't really matter, it's upgradeable to iOS 5 if it's an iPhone 4.

9. macrumors 68040

Probably iOS 4.x.

The 32GB ones listed on the web store specifically state iOS 4. Per the article, these units are likely back inventory stock from before the iPhone 4S release (and thus iOS 5).

10. macrumors 6502

There's nothing "free" about having to sign up for Verizon/AT&T 2yr contracts.

11. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

It still saves the extra $200 that you have to pay upfront.

12. macrumors newbie

This may be an obvious question...

But are there any work arounds... Or is the Best Buy price not an upgrade price? I have a need for 2 iPhone 4 (or 4S) and this would be a great deal for the 4. The problem is, one phone is not eligible for an upgrade until Jan 29, 2012. Does Best Buy have any ability to 'gain a customer'? The phone that is not eligible is a cheap with no data plan, this would net AT&T with one more customer with a data plan.

13. JAT
    macrumors 603

But, you'd have to use a computer to do it.

14. macrumors 6502

Picked up two of them today. I pretty much got the last ones in Northern California. Santa Rosa, San Rafael, and Vallejo didn't have anymore. Got mine from a Best Buy mobile kiosk in Santa Rosa's mall.

15. macrumors 68020

Yeah? For most iOS updates that's been the way it's been, but from the first point release after iOS 5, you can do over the air updates.

For most people accustomed to iphones, it's not news.

16. macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I couldn't find any within 100 miles of me. They must have had about 2 at each store... :mad:

17. macrumors newbie

mrallgood

NO KIDDING!!!! That's the least they could do.

18. JAT
    macrumors 603

My parents went to get this deal, but BB couldn't alter their Verizon business account. So they walked away.

19. macrumors member

PantherJeep

Yeah, same here - unavailable at any Best Buy from Los Angeles to the Mexican border. :mad:

20. macrumors newbie

sad I missed this