Best Buy came through (*gasp*)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fretbuzzer, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Fretbuzzer macrumors newbie

My hated compaq (comcrap) finally died within Best Buy's warranty. I have been waiting to switch to mac ever since a friend of mine gave me a grape I mac and I fell in love with osX - even on a g3 333! Best Buy has been stocking Apple online but not in our stores. Regardless, they let me exchange my dead 2year old Compaq for a new iMac G5 20"!

Looking forward to it arriving in the mail this week. :)

2. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Wow, what a deal. Did you have to pay anything?

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Wow. Considering how fast PC hardware ages, you literally got 3-fold of what you paid for on your Compaq. Seriously, what a deal.

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

This has to be the strongest argument ever in favor of purchasing Best Buy's extended warranty.

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That's awesome! I would have thought that they would either fix it or give you a newer Compaq/equivalent PC model. Either way, you made out like a bandit.

Daniel

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yeah, my friend bought a used 15gb iPod for $100, took the battery chord out, and would up with a new 40gb 4G ipod for free. Most people loose on the warrenty, but some people make out like bandits. I guess they're good for best buy, so everyone wins, except the people who loose, but they're dumb so it doesn't matter.

7. Fretbuzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ideas?

I had to shell out $200 for the Imac (not complaining), but in the end, I still received full purchase for the compac almost three years later. I did not even have to fight.

Besides RAM, what should be my first purchase? :rolleyes:

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If your Mac came with iLife '04, you probably qualify for getting iLife '05 for $20 through Apple's Up-To-Date program:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

9. Romulan macrumors member

Hey atari! Where'd you get that powerbook G5 that's in your profile :p!