Best Buy (in Canada) Carrying Apple Computers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nspace, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Nspace macrumors regular

Checked the paper this weekend to find Best Buy in Canada (or at least Ontario) is now selling all sorts of Apple products.

Their flyer showed a 15" powerbook for sale with a DVD burner in the description and was listed for the price of $2649. They do not give any other information about the specs, in proper best buy form of course.

Well the Powerbook for $2649 is actually the one with the combo drive according to the Apple website.

My friend went in there today and showed them the ad and wondering why the laptop in the store which was only equipped with a combo drive was the same price. He told them he wanted the laptop with the superdrive for the same price as advertised and they refused.

I hate that store with a passion. Not to mention the fact that the photo beside the description of the 15" Powerbook is actually the 17" model.

2. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Usually Best Buy will honor their ads, even when they realize that they screwed up in it.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, they legally have to sell you the one in the ad, if they advertised the wrong product for sale. Its the law. It doesn't matter what you sell, the law is valid for all industries. This used to happen sometimes at the Sporting Life I used to work at. So yes, go in and get the Powerbook WITH the superdrive for the listed price, even if they truly meant the 15" model with only the Combo Drive.

And its weird how Futureshop only sells the iMac, eMac, and iBooks, and not the Powerbooks or PowerMac. I always found that quite annoying, seeing as how they wouldn't be a bad place to buy an Apple product (there are 2 right near where I live, which is more than I could say about any other Apple retailer). :eek:

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Attached Files:

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Actually, most companies put a disclaimer in their ads that protects them from misprints. Hence the "Prices subject to change" thing at the bottom. However, if you look toward the back pages, where you see the "Price Guarantee," I bet somewhere in there it excludes them from misprints.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Where are you located? The futureshop near me stopped carrying all apple products except for ipods.

To the origional poster. I would buy one at the lowered price then sell it for a few hundred more. Or if you are in the market for one buy it for yourself.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I live in Thornhill, right near the north Toronto border. There's one in Toronto near Finch Station, and there's one in Richmond Hill.

I don't know of the situation now, but 6 months ago, they sold everything but the "Power" line. Too bad. I also find this strange because Bestbuy owns Futureshop anyway, so if Best Buy carries the entire line, I would have thought that FS would have as well.

And I went to McMaster, and the Futureshop I know of is near Limeridge Mall, and it isn't very good. ;)

EDIT: Okay, I just checked the FS webstore, and they seemed to have stopped selling Apple products except the iPod and iPod Mini, and certain eMacs left over. :(

8. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

Fast responses!

I have already got my Powerbook, but I hope someone who was planning to buy one sees this and gets the deal. I have heard the same thing about them legally having to do it, otherwise it could be considered false advertising. My friend also point out they only carry the 15" powerbook.

I wonder if there there are any catches with the photo being a 17" hehe.

Best Buy and futuresh*t i mean shop :) are some of my least favourite stores. Multiple times I have asked them for products and they have told me they don't carry it, in parictular cd's and dvd's. Then of course I find them in the store later on. I never trust the people there.

Nice job grabbing the ad! Even though I am not shopping for one I am tempted to go over lol; there is one 5 minute drive from my house. I have never seen Futureshop carrying very much Apple products either. I should probably put my location to Toronto like I usually do, so people not familiar with the area have an idea.

Just out of curiosity, now that Best buy carry's Apple computers here, does that mean you could take your computer or iPod for service there?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm....don't know about servicing, but I'm guessing that they'd send it to Apple for you if they "inspected it" (ie: looked at it and scratched their heads :p ). They probably don't have the resources to fix many issues on the spot.

Anyway, I don't like FS or BB either, but I don't know of another electronics store I check out regularly. The first store that pops in my head in Canada is Futureshop, and that's always where I go to first if I'm looking for something. Then I look out for ads from smaller companies that may sell the same thing. I go to FS because its so easy. There's a lack of choice in Canada right now, with Best Buy basically running the entire show. :( Its even worse than in sportswear and sports equipment, where the Forzani Group is the only choice Canadians have for sports goods. But yes, electronics is the worst in Canada.

If there's another place to get a good selection, just lead the way.

@Nspace: Which BB? Is it the one near Yorkdale?

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Futureshop has got to have some of the stupidest employees I have ever seen and they are all PC loving freaks.

11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Ya that futureshop moved down the road to a slightly bigger location that is still kinda crappy, but thats not the one I go to anyway. I go to a much newer one in the ancaster meadowlands and they only have third generation ipods (no apple computers, mini's, or 4G's)

12. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

The one near Sherway Gardens mall, on Queensway.

Computer Systems Centre ( http://www.csctoronto.com ) is good for mac stuff.

For my PC's I never even consider going to best buy or futureshop. There are lots of small independent stores with better pricing, smart people, and good service.

I have gotten into so many fights with futureshop and best buy. I remember I bought my 8500 almost a couple years ago for something like 390 when it was brand new. So I went to futureshop who was selling it for 450 (this was after the fact) and told them a place 2 blocks down (and thats how close it was) was selling it for 60 dollars cheaper. "I don't believe you, it is the oem version, this is the retail box, its better and thats why it is more expensive"

The store down the street was actually selling the retail box too but he refused to believe me and obviously wouldn't lower his price. The people are futureshop are also extremely! annoying. Every corner there is a sales person bugging you, and when you actually do have a question they all seem to disappear!

13. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

I too got piqued by the ad: "Hey, that looks like a 17" PB with DVD burner!" Too good to be true of course. Isn't it great when a bunch of Canadians get online and start bashing Canadian things, eh? I've actually had pretty good dealings with Best Buy: they're not perfect but they're not any worse than most places and a lot better than Future Shop. FS employees don't seem to know a whole lot about many of their products. The Best Buy by my place doesn't have many Apple models yet: just the G5 desktop, a 17" older display, the eMac, and the iBook. But some accessories have started filling the shelves. I agree that Computer Systems Centre is the place to go: too bad I moved out of Toronto a few years ago.

(Maybe I should just buy my PB from BestBuy. *sigh* It's been 16 days since I ordered my PB and it hasn't even been built yet for shipping. Maybe I'll just give up on the whole Apple idea and stay with Windows: I'm really busy at work and I need another computer. Frankly, I'm starting to not care about what I use anymore.)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

NOOOO!!! LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE, APPLE!!! :eek:

Actually, I'd like to avoid Futureshop and Best Buy from now on, seeing as how they're the exact same company. D'oh! And I agree about FS having the dumbest crop of employees in the world. I, too, have had better experiences at Best Buy. I bought a Rayovac NiMH 15-Minute charger and batteries from them, and asked if they were dual voltage (ie: 120 and 240V) chargers, since I was going to Oz with it. I knew the answer should be "Yes" because of the Rayovac website, but I just wanted to be sure since the box didn't say anything about it. Anyway, the employee went and spent a lot of time trying to find out. I bought the item, and he was right. :)

That's what you have to do with FS employees: Ask them questions that you know the answer to, just to see if they're bullsquatting you or not. I HATE having to do this every time I walk into a Futureshop. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to avoid both companies. That CSC store looks amazing for Apple stuff!! :eek: