Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy is offering a "Black Friday in July" promotion this weekend, which will see the company offering significant discounts on many products. One of the major deals included in the promo is a price cut on iPads, dropping the price on the iPad Air 2 to the lowest we've seen since the tablet launched last October.

Best Buy is discounting its lineup of Wi-Fi only iPad Air 2 models, dropping the price on the 16GB model from $499 to $374.99. The 64GB model is priced at $474.99 instead of $599, and the 128GB model is available for $574.99, down from $699. Discounts are available on all colors of the Wi-Fi iPad Air 2.

blackfridayinjulybestbuy-800x584.jpg

Best Buy's Black Friday discount is scheduled to begin on July 24 and last through July 25, but customers who sign up for a Best Buy account can get early access to the deals beginning today. Signing up for an account is a free process, but does require a phone number and an email address.

In addition to offering a discount on the iPad Air 2, Best Buy also has several other Apple-related deals worth checking out. The 2.2GHz 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB of memory and a 256GB SSD is available for $1,749.99, a discount of $250.

128GB iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models from Sprint are available at a $100 discount with a two-year contract, dropping the price on the devices to $299.99 instead of $399.99. There's also a deal for a free Jawbone UP2 Activity Tracker with the purchase of any smartphone from Sprint.

Unrelated to its Black Friday promo, Best Buy is also offering discounts on the 128GB Wi-Fi only iPad mini 3, dropping the price by $150 on both the Silver and Space Gray models. With the discount, the tablet is available for $449.99 instead of $599.99.

These deals, particularly the discount on the iPad Air 2, are likely to go quickly, so MacRumors readers hoping to get an iPad at a discount might want to purchase today. Deals are online only today, but will be available in store on Friday and Saturday.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy.

Article Link: Best Buy Launches Black Friday in July Sale, Discounts iPad Air 2 by $125

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Best Buy's Black Friday discount is scheduled to begin on July 24 and last through July 25, but customers who sign up for a Best Buy account can get early access to the deals beginning today. Signing up for an account is a free process, but does require a phone number and an email address.
Hmm...

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...e-more-than-all-of-nigerias-princes-combined/

Also, iPad Air 2's have been frequently available on ebay as new, from legitimate sellers (i.e. resellers) at $499 (for the 64GB model; $399 for 16GB, and $599 for the 128GB) for quite some time now. Combined with ebay's Bucks program, anyone that misses out on Best Buy's sale shouldn't fret too much. The only caveat is those sales are more obscure.

Last edited:

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
With a new iPad Air to be released in 3 months (based on previous releases), it doesn't make sense to get one now. Too bad they don't have a 13-inch MBP at a discount. Then again, maybe that's good thing for my wallet. :rolleyes:

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
I just bought that darn 15" macbook pro from Best Buy. I'm still within the 14 days. Should I try to get a price match? Or just return the device and re-purchase it? Also, does anyone know if you can add the student discount to that deal?

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I just bought that darn 15" macbook pro from Best Buy. I'm still within the 14 days. Should I try to get a price match? Or just return the device and re-purchase it? Also, does anyone know if you can add the student discount to that deal?
The student discount should apply, but usually you'll need to make a return+repurchase in order to get that applied, which should also get you the new discount applied as well.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
You can get a price match, but you probably need to go back to the store while this sale is happening. Not sure about the student discount, but you can ask them.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Holy crap, I know that the iPad Air 3 is probably just around the corner, but I can't take seeing these sales go by anymore, I want to jump on this iPad Air 2 deal. However, I am not seeing anything on the site about the Air 2 being on sale. Do you have to make an account first to see the deal online?

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
With the latest iOS iteration, Tim Cook made me upgrade my iPad Air 1 to the Air 2, so as to have a fluid, functional experience. I just got that Air 2 from BB less than 2 weeks ago so it is nice to know I can now put an extra $125 back in my pocket.

(However I did trade in my Air 1 to BB last week when they had a trade in your old tablet deal—16 GB Air 1 got me $170 in credit towards the Air 2. Does anyone know if I will have issues trying to price match this Black Friday in July deal based on how I got the Air 2 with a trade in deal? Should I just return the Air 2, how would that work based on using a credit from a trade in? ...anyone ever deal with a unique situation such as this?)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Nice deal on the 15incher. I mean Apple sells that Macbook 15 spec as USED at that price point. I know you can't upgrade Ram any longer, but how easy is it to upgrade the SSD? I just purchased an 1TB SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) for my mid 2012 MBP and haven't put it in yet, but I'd rather have a new machine - and put this new SSD in it. I feel like my mid 2012 is going to die. Lately I've had a lot of freezes and crashes, plus it gets really hot these days. I think I'd rather trade it in now while I can get good value for it. However 256 GB just isn't enough space and I don't want to rely on external HDs.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
With a new iPad Air to be released in 3 months (based on previous releases), it doesn't make sense to get one now.

An Air 2 is an exception... Only reason is due to the 2GB Ram, it's more of a future proof product. If there's a good deal on an Air 2 then I'd recommend it at this late in the cycle stage.

Reactions: Jetcat3

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I was waiting on a great deal like this to come along. Already bought and picked up mine. Setting it up as I type.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Is this Mid-2015 15" Macbook Pro a better value than a 2014-15" with double the storage, 2GB GPU for around the same price? They do have the same processor.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
With a new iPad Air to be released in 3 months (based on previous releases), it doesn't make sense to get one now. Too bad they don't have a 13-inch MBP at a discount. Then again, maybe that's good thing for my wallet. :rolleyes:

Would say the iPad line has pretty much saturated. Not a lot of things Apple can add the the 3 to make it sell again especially since people don't upgrade iPads every year or two years like the iPhone. Maybe the iPad Pro but honestly it will probably cost more.

Would say getting an ipad air 2 now for like $400 is probably one of the best tablets you can get and have it last for at least 4 years.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The thought of having to buy a 2015 rMBP with a 2 year old process just makes my blood boil.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
God dammit, I just paid $500-something for a 64 GB refurb last week. Wondering if I should return it to an Apple Store and get this one instead.

Edit: After sales tax, it's about a wash. My refurb works great. Is it worth returning it to an Apple Store and buying a brand new one on sale from Best Buy for the same price? Do refurbs have lower resale values when I go to resell it in a few years?

Last edited:

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
God dammit, I just paid $500-something for a 64 GB refurb last week. Wondering if I should return it to an Apple Store and get this one instead.

Edit: After sales tax, it's about a wash. My refurb works great. Is it worth returning it to an Apple Store and buying a brand new one on sale from Best Buy for the same price? Do refurbs have lower resale values when I go to resell it in a few years?

If I'm buying a used one, I'm not sure if I'd care... it's already going to have as much or more damage than a refurb one either way...

That said, I'd probably complain a bit if someone sold me a refurb as a "one owner".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.