Best Buy Lies

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Freg3000, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Just browsing through Best Buy and their "glossary," and I came across some great bits of misinformation:

"Macintosh supports Apple iPods only; PCs support a full range of digital music players, including Apple iPods."

You know, even though I use an iPod, I know that there are other digital music players that work on the Mac. While the majority of people using Macs probably are using an iPod for their digital music needs, there are most certainly some who do not. Let's get onto some more lies:

"AAC-The only file format used by Apple iPods, AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding."

Hmmm, I guess they forgot about all of those other little formats the iPod also plays....like MP3, Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF, Audible, etc.

Stuff like this annoys me. Best Buy is a consumer electronics retailer. They should know better. Ugh, ignorance is bliss (and really painful if you know better).

[rant over]

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Best Buy cheats. As of right now, they still owe me over 50 bucks in rebates in addition to a $100 gift card. And their customer service doesn't know anything at all. Not even how to get their printer working.

Rant over.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I was at Staples on Friday getting a new hard drive, and I saw a chart that showed compatibility of various mp3 players..... apparently the Apple IPOD is only supposed by Windows. :rolleyes:

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If you think the website is bad, go to the store in person walk up to one of their supposed computer guys and say, "I need some memory for my mac." I'm not sure if they can help you, but I do know that when asked which of their hard drives or cd drives were mac compatible I was told none of them were, and they don't carry apple stuff. :rolleyes: Yeah right dumbass...

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Best Buy Blows Monkeys

A few years ago, my roomate and myself went there and bought two PC's. Of course this is pre-Mac enlightenment, and I was still a lost soul. Anyhow, we both bought the same computer that had a $100 rebate. We both sent them in and about 8 weeks later, he got a check in the mail, I got zero.

So I called Best Buy and the CS rep stated that I shouldn't get one as there was only one rebate per household. I said what the %$@!#$!! So anyway, no $100 bucks. Their mail in rebates are ridiculous.

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Do remember that you are dealing with Best Buy. Don't confuse them with a high quality company.

7. efoto macrumors 68030

BB as a whole is completely rediculous. The only nice thing about them is their usefulness as a price-match location and occasionally they will have good pricing on a few products.

Oh, and they usually have good prices on newly released DVDs...well, sometimes.

8. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Did you know that the iPod mini software for Windows converts the songs to an MP3 format before it puts the songs on the iPod?

At least, that's what the Best Buy guy said.

9. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I regularly drive 100+ miles to buy electronics, despite having two Best Buy stores within 15 minutes of my home.

The clerks are idiots, the stores are too freakin' frantic and their corporate policies are nothing short of piracy.

Specifically - I bought a portable CD player and purchased with it the Best Buy "protection plan." For $9.99 I was assued the Plan would replace the unit should it ever become damaged or inoperable - NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

About six months later a little piece of plastic broke off and rendered the unit useless as it had no way of knowing the lid was closed.

Upon returning to the store WITH the original receipt, I was told by the clerk, the night manager and the general manager (I made them call her) that the Plan required me to bring in ALL the original packing material. They wanted the box (which I had), the foam packing material (whch I didn't) and that was that. Case closed. F**K YOU very much.

It's been two years and I am still pissed about this. Can you tell? :mad:

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Well, I must say that they are nice about letting you play with the stuff in the store.

Also, one time I bought a printer from them and took it back with a paper feeding problem, so they checked it and told me to pick one of equal or lesser cost. Considering the original printer had cost $499, I could get pretty much any non-laser printer in the store with the way prices have come down on them.

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

You should have gone back for another try when different people were working.

12. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Why would you buy an HD at Staples?

Just curious...

:confused:

13. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I work at a local camera store, I have about 2 customers a day come in complaining that they couldn't handle the customer service at Best Buy. Apparently they are over there telling people that digital zoom is the really important one, and that you can get away with no optical zoom on your camera...... what a bunch of idiots. I don't see how they can even get away telling customers things like that. Oh well, at least they are driving business to me!

14. denm316 macrumors 6502

I agree they dont know what they are talkin about, but most are people making 8 bucks an hour and could care less about thier job.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is a frustration in that Best Buy or the manufactures does not see a difference between a "family" or "roommates" living under the same roof. Call it cultural bias or whatever. In cases like this get separate receipts, and have a second address you trust. One can not blame them from wanting to limit rebates to a single address (most rebates are for the consumer, not the corporate user).

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know what you mean. I work for a photo store that will call the manufactures directly when there are rebate issues. Are we 100% on those calls, no. But we do have the customer at heart.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To me the only reason to buy at Best Buy is their 12 to 24 month no interest financing. If I can't get that, I shop elsewhere.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

At least with 2 PC's; they were not that anal. With an iPod, they wanted the packaging, and I was able to convince them to use the packaging from the upgraded iPod.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have bought a few HDD's from Staples with no problem. My question is, why not?

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Using your reasoning, I shouldn't shop at Best Buy at all, since financing of any sort doesn't interest me in the slightest. I would much rather save up and buy all at once. And I don't go there to shop. :D

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I too work for a local camera shop. In our area we have a problem in dealing with the "free gift cards" and the "no interest financing". For us the problem is one of those wanting these deals, "pumping" us for information, with no hope for a "sale". The problem is that no one area of the country is representative of the whole. In the DC area stats show that Best Buy and others do not do well on the "interest free financing".

In my area what I love is those that come in with a manual is a language other than English, and what help with it.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And those that might know a thing or two (those over 40+ years old) are not seen on the floor. Or so it seems to be the case in my area. I know a number of the over 40 set that never got a call back from Best Buy.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are right, particularly if you can find local dealers that can give you better service.....

24. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Black Friday.... 120GB IDE hard drive for $39.99.... not a bad deal imo.

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have plenty of better options around me - most of them are closer to me than Best Buy is, too (including an Apple Store).