Best Buy mbAir with 8gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by musicnut90, Jul 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm looking to purchase a new MB Air from Best Buy with their $100 student discount, but can't seem to find an option to upgrade the RAM to 8GB. Does anyone know if there's a method for ordering one of the 8GB models through BestBuy, or do they only carry the 4GB models that are visible on their site?

I don't have a BestBuy near me, so I'm not sure if they carry those models in their brick and mortar stores.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum or if I caused any inconvenience.
  2. macrumors 65816

Why not just get it from apple?
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    I have never seen Best Buy carry the custom order models, only the stock configuration.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2012

Thanks--it doesn't seem as though it's possible, just wanted to know if anyone had any luck in the past through any other avenues.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2010
    You can also look into B&H, which is carrying some custom models, as well as other bonuses and matching discounts from Apple.
  6. macrumors demi-god

Dec 30, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I got $150 off + $100 App store card today @ the Apple Store doing an education purchase.

Now it was the stock 13" but still.

Attached Files:

7. macrumors member

Jul 3, 2013
    East Coast US
    That is a great deal, $949. shows the educational pricing as $1,049. What location did you buy it at?

Oh, I get it, $949 for laptop + $100 for app store card. Good way to circumvent some sales tax.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2010
    you buy it on amazon and save on tax. I rather save 100 bucks on tax then get a free app store card. I live in Boston so it's 7% and best thing you don't have to lie that your still a student. :D
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2011
  10. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    That's a great deal. It's always fun to juggle Edu vs. tax and/or free shipping to find the best price. Congrats.