Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
I had planned to use it to buy an open box rmb at Bestbuy. In the past the ACTUAL coupon came in post office envelope. Now, you have to go online, request it with an activation code and show the NEW address. In the past no proof was needed for the new address. BB apparently caught on. So it may be more difficult now to get that additional 10% off.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
probably because tons of people, myself included, use to buy them on eBay and use them on almost any large purchase. I think last year alone I used 5 (TV, mac, fridge, TV, dyson). I always used them online though. I would think that loophole still works.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
probably because tons of people, myself included, use to buy them on eBay and use them on almost any large purchase. I think last year alone I used 5 (TV, mac, fridge, TV, dyson). I always used them online though. I would think that loophole still works.

That loophole doesn't work either. you have to show an actual change of address in order to get the actual coupon code in the mail or by text. It was a great deal but BB caught on. Bay still sells $100 off coupons, but I'm not sure they are trustworthy, and can't be used for open box items.

noahbalboa

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
That loophole doesn't work either. you have to show an actual change of address in order to get the actual coupon code in the mail or by text. It was a great deal but BB caught on. Bay still sells $100 off coupons, but I'm not sure they are trustworthy, and can't be used for open box items.
I paid $7 for a Movers coupon off eBay, worked fine!
I paid $1155 for a brand new base model rMB with free Beats at BestBuy. Don't know how or why they matched the BTS deal but it happened! I used the Movers 10%, EDU $100 off, and they matched Apple BTS for free Beats.
I attached my receipt if anyone wants to check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1290 2.JPG
    IMG_1290 2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11,610

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It might not work if you try to get the code through best buy directly, but you can still buy valid codes on eBay for ~$5

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
It might not work if you try to get the code through best buy directly, but you can still buy valid codes on eBay for ~$5

I just bought from ebay a movers coupon good until november that appears to have the bb barcode that the register needs to scan. I just hope it works with the open box price. My bb has a gold base open box right now for $1180, about 10% off. It seems a bit high. There doesnt seem to be any rhythm or reason to how individual bb stores price open box apple laptops. I saw someone posting somewhere that an rmb open box was purchased for around $1030.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just bought from ebay a movers coupon good until november that appears to have the bb barcode that the register needs to scan. I just hope it works with the open box price. My bb has a gold base open box right now for $1180, about 10% off. It seems a bit high. There doesnt seem to be any rhythm or reason to how individual bb stores price open box apple laptops. I saw someone posting somewhere that an rmb open box was purchased for around $1030.

IIRC, the movers coupons cannot be used on open box items. I may be wrong, but I thought that was a stipulation of it. It may also be harder to use in store b.c they could ask for the new address.

You are in a difficult spot b.c you cannot buy open box macs online for in store pickup.

noahbalboa

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015

Yea, i don't know how they price their open box stuff. My store had 2 open box base models for $1221 each. I saw someone mention the $1030 for open box too which is why i checked. What's the point, it's $80 more for a brand new one, or $30 if you price match Apple Edu discount.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Plenty have used the coupons with open box stuff. The coupon process did change. I did but real coupons from Ebay a while ago and they worked without the mover site. Those coupons now go for $100 plush. The remaining coupons last I checked (those around$10) were in sore only.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I paid $7 for a Movers coupon off eBay, worked fine!
I paid $1155 for a brand new base model rMB with free Beats at BestBuy. Don't know how or why they matched the BTS deal but it happened! I used the Movers 10%, EDU $100 off, and they matched Apple BTS for free Beats.
I attached my receipt if anyone wants to check it out.

Did you just ask the worker regarding the BTS promo when buying your Mac? Looking to buy a base 13 rMBP and it would be nice to use the $100 student discount & receive free Beats headphones as well.

noahbalboa

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
Did you just ask the worker regarding the BTS promo when buying your Mac? Looking to buy a base 13 rMBP and it would be nice to use the $100 student discount & receive free Beats headphones as well.

Yes, i actually called on the phone and spoke to a sales rep earlier in the day and he said they'd match it as long as i can show them the promo exists. Then in-store i asked and he talked to the sales manager, then I had to show them online it existed. I haven't actually heard of anything else getting them to match the BTS promo, but good luck!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

IIRC, the movers coupons cannot be used on open box items. I may be wrong, but I thought that was a stipulation of it. It may also be harder to use in store b.c they could ask for the new address.

You are in a difficult spot b.c you cannot buy open box macs online for in store pickup.

They can definitely be used on open box items. I've done it twice this year, once last month.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

It's possible that you'll have to do what I did last month: go to a web site, enter or scan the code on the coupon, give it a phone number to send the actual coupon code to, and then have the code scanned at the register. Kinda wacky but it worked OK - but I was glad I had my phone with me. I had expected that the coupon would just get scanned at the register. That coupon had an August expiration date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.