Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
This may be old news, but I searched through the forums and didn't see anything right off hand, but,

I know Best Buy has been selling Mini's for a while now, but looking around their website, it seems that they are also selling a full line of Apple Products (at least online):

Best Buy Search

Has anyone heard of this already??

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Yeah they have been selling them online for a pretty long time but if they were to ever sell them in there stores that would be quite a change.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ummmmmm they sell them in stores too....yea at a bestbuy here in toronto at least. they have imac g5, powermac g5, powerbook 15" mac mini, and ibook and 20" cinema display all on display in the store

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
bestbuy near me only sells the minis. the nearest apple store is about 1.5 hours away. :(

just typed this on my PSP. 2.0 finally came out today.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
My understanding is that Best Buy Canada sells macs; Best Buy USA does not. There was a pilot program for about a year, from summer 03-summer 04, in which Best Buys in non-apple store markets had a few in stock, but it did not go anywhere and was cancelled. According to a thread a month or so ago, Best Buy was going to sell minis in the USA; then that plan was apparently scuttled.

Related note: I took my ibook to a Circuit City the other day to get a case; the salesguy told me that he has a G5 imac and he absolutely loves it. ;)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
All the Best Buys I've been to in the US in the past few months (Minneapolis, Miami, Chicago, Lawrence) have only sold the Mini. They've also managed to make sure it didn't work at all, and to have their sales people not know anything about it.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
I heard that some Best Buys sell Macs in-store but my local ones do not. :( I think they've been selling them on-line for awhile, though.

Why would someone order one from Best Buy on-line rather than directly from Apple? I could see buying one from the brick and mortar store, instant gratification. But if you're ordering on-line why not go with Apple? :confused:

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
biohazard_6969 said:
ummmmmm they sell them in stores too....yea at a bestbuy here in toronto at least. they have imac g5, powermac g5, powerbook 15" mac mini, and ibook and 20" cinema display all on display in the store

Hehehehe... true, they "sell them" but ask the sales dorks how many they actually have in stock in the back. Make like you actually want to buy one and they'll give you that odd look that almost asks "But Why?"

From what I was told at the BB over by Sherway Gardens, the 20" iMac, PowerMac and Cinema Displays are not stock items, they might have the 17" iMacs and maybe an iBook in stock.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
one of my friends is on the geek squad (bleck) at one of our BBs and saw the light with my powerbook 3 months ago. Since then he has been preaching Mac to all the people and pulling the "7000+ PC viruses in 2005 alone, 26 ever for Mac OS, and none for OS X" line and has sold over 15 minis to people looking for a way out.

If only the rest were as knowledgeable and honest...

ephex

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2004
USA
tuartboy said:
one of my friends is on the geek squad (bleck) at one of our BBs and saw the light with my powerbook 3 months ago. Since then he has been preaching Mac to all the people and pulling the "7000+ PC viruses in 2005 alone, 26 ever for Mac OS, and none for OS X" line and has sold over 15 minis to people looking for a way out.

those are interesting figures, got any source for them?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
At the bestbuy store I use to work for we use to sell minis, powerbooks, and ibooks. Then we cut it downt o just minis, and now we dont have anything. :(

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
tuartboy said:

for my own pc repair business, it would be suicide for me to switch everybody over to the mac side ;)

...but if they ask, i will tell them who is better

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
cardiac dave said:
Hehehehe... true, they "sell them" but ask the sales dorks how many they actually have in stock in the back. Make like you actually want to buy one and they'll give you that odd look that almost asks "But Why?"

From what I was told at the BB over by Sherway Gardens, the 20" iMac, PowerMac and Cinema Displays are not stock items, they might have the 17" iMacs and maybe an iBook in stock.

yea thats the best buy i was refering to. the one at sherway. i never asked, but i was in there admiring the G5's for so long i had about 5 sales reps ask if i needed any help :eek:

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
wako said:
only because nobody wants to code a virus for a Mac...
that's total FUD. It all goes down to the core foundations of how unix and windows handle user levels or permissions. In the case of windows there is such a thing as LUA (least user access (known as other names too)) which is incredibly buggy and practically unusable as it requires a lot of extra work to get it linked properly. Often it results in the user having to log out as the LUA and then logging in as the super user just to do simple tasks. Besides, windows comes default as the admin mode and only a power user would ever want, or be able to, set up a properly-configured LUA account.

Unix defaults to a LUA-type account. You never run as the super user (admin) unless you specifically enter in your password. This is the reason you have to type in your password in OS X when you make system changes or installs. In unix you type in SU in the shell (works in OS X terminal too) to gain this level of power, but you log out asap. No real damage can be done when running in user mode, so the system is generally safe. OS X core works off this same platform.

Not only is that a huge issue, but all *nix-based systems have specific permissions for every file. There are 3 types of permissions: User, group, Others. Each type has a read, write, execute setting and unless the file has given permission to something to write or execute to it, it cannot be changed. Therefore, no virus can touch files it doesn't specifically have permission to modify. Sure, you could write a sweet virus that trashes the hard drive and shows a gif of a dancing bunny on the screen, but good luck at getting a *nix system to ever let you run it without getting the user to specifically authorize it!

Also, OS X 10.4 is starting a new tech called Access Control Lists that allow much greater freedom in permission settings.

Windows does not have this security in place and cannot add it in without a total OS rewrite. They might get it right with Vista, but that'll still be a while.

Basically, from a professional programmer and Windows repair tech POV, it stops looking like security through obscurity and starts smelling like a trillion dollar mistake on Microsoft's hands. Too bad they made so much money...

That is the short technical explanation of why OS X is virus free. Something unforeseen may come up in the future, but the current ratio of 0:infinite is quite in favor of OS X! :p

Hope you believe it now!

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
wako said:
only because nobody wants to code a virus for a Mac...
Oh, and do you know how famous you would be if you did write one?!

Think of all the press! MS would throw a party for you!

Coding an OS X virus is every hackers dream. It's about the only first left!

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
jefhatfield said:
for my own pc repair business, it would be suicide for me to switch everybody over to the mac side ;)

...but if they ask, i will tell them who is better
Hey, I totally agree. Check my sig.

notdenizen

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
tuartboy said:
.... Also, OS X 10.4 is starting a new tech called Access Control Lists that allow much greater freedom in permission settings.

Windows does not have this security in place and cannot add it in without a total OS rewrite. They might get it right with Vista, but that'll still be a while.

Windows already has ACLs. I'm pretty sure they've had them since NT4 - well before linux and certainly long before OS X. They're obviously not helping much on the windows virus/security front, but credit where credit is due ...

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
notdenizen said:
Windows already has ACLs. I'm pretty sure they've had them since NT4 - well before linux and certainly long before OS X. They're obviously not helping much on the windows virus/security front, but credit where credit is due ...
New tech for tiger though. ACLs provide capability far beyond traditional Unix permission systems. "ACLs have existed in various forms in many other operating systems over the years. In many ways, Tiger is playing catch-up here. Even classic Mac OS has some file sharing features that are beyond the capabilities of traditional Unix file permissions."

Both Windows and Linux distros have an ACL based security model, the only significant difference between them in security is that Windows comes with many features turned on that Linux has turned off by default (that and, as I understand it, the Windows encryption for their ACL private keys is flawed(older, but does cover NT ACLs))

Basically, OS X 10.4 added ACL capability to provide a full peer-to-peer networked environment for a mac/windows world.

My Original Source for the ACL info (and a mighty good read)

Now, to stop eating skittles and go to bed. :p

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
tuartboy said:
Oh, and do you know how famous you would be if you did write one?!

Think of all the press! MS would throw a party for you!

Coding an OS X virus is every hackers dream. It's about the only first left!
Absolutely....I had echoed similar views in another thread....it would definitely be every hackers dream to get ONE virus working into OSX....that would make MS happy for sure.....they would not be alone atlast....if it is really the smaller number factor, then there HAVE to be some viruses atleast by simple proportions logic...not completely zero!!!!!

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
intresting how a thread about bestbuy turned into a thread about coding viruses for OSX, super-user controls, ACL's and the "capabilities of traditional Unix file permissions", but in case anyone was wondering, I stopped by the local BestBuy (in Virginia) and there was not the first peice of MAC hardware or software, in case anyone was still wondering.....

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
The BB i worked at sold the Mini only. The sales people knew nothing about them. I asked why, and he said "we are told not to push the Mini".

That may explain why they put me in DI (digital imaging). They asked a question in one of my interviews about how computer literate i was. I told them i was quite familiar with both winbloz and Macintosh computers. The response from the interviewer (the asst. mngr.) was "People use macs?".

Honestly, as $$$ driven as BB is i can not see them selling any Mac much longer. Mainly, i think it is because most people that want to buy a Mac know that most of what BB employees say is utter ****. :p

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
The Best Buy by me sells the Mini's, and the wired Apple keyboard and mouse. One of the employees told me that all Best Buy's will eventually carry a ton of Apple Products.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
lopresmb said:
intresting how a thread about bestbuy turned into a thread about coding viruses for OSX, super-user controls, ACL's and the "capabilities of traditional Unix file permissions", but in case anyone was wondering, I stopped by the local BestBuy (in Virginia) and there was not the first peice of MAC hardware or software, in case anyone was still wondering.....
sorry about the hijack... I just... talk... too... much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.