Best Buy Service Plan. Grr....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Apr 15, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    As some of you may well know, I am only a Mac user by proxy. The hubby has a PB while I actually own a Toshiba laptop. This laptop has brought me some grief with problems ranging anywhere from a dead pixel in the bottom middle of the screen (very minor) to it just completely shutting down with no warning when I'm right in the middle of doing something. Luckily, I bought the Best Buy service plan for it when I got it. I thought I'd mainly be using it for the free battery every year of the service plan, but it has actually come in handy for actual maintenance.

Now the rant.... The hubby has AppleCare for his laptop and the couple of times he's had to send his PB in for service he has gotten it back within the week. I sent my laptop in for its latest service on 3/27/06 (it wasn't coming out of hibernation if I unplugged the A/C adapter before trying to wake it up). It is now 20 days later and I am still laptop-less. It wouldn't be so bad if their service center had been working on it for a while because the issue was a tough one, but I just called BB to get a status update on my service order and the nice Geek Squad lad on the other end of the line just happened to mention that they had only started working on it a couple of days ago. :eek: :rolleyes: While I'm glad I can at least get my laptop repaired for the relatively nominal fee of the service plan cost, I don't like being lappy-free for this long only to find out that the work on it has barely just begun! When compared to the AppleCare service the hubby has had I find this extremely inefficient. :mad:

Anyway, that's the rant.....

EDIT: Oops... forgot to log the hubby out of his machine before ranting about this. This is what happens when you have to share a laptop. :rolleyes: -floriflee :D
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Alright - I was getting into some severe gender confusion here - I mean I thought that I had just sorted out who was who...

I know its not any consolation, but I have a VCR that has been broken since October, and some Nike Free shoes that failed after one month and were returned in December... with no indication when, if ever, they will be replaced.
  3. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    One day shy of a month and I got my own laptop back today. (Woohoo?) The paperwork just said "Reset software settings." What?! :eek: All this time just for that?? I'm so very disappointed. If they're going to hold off on working on my machine for this long they could at least make it worth my while. Geez.... :rolleyes: :(

And yet... can't REALLY complain since I no longer have to play "Who gets to play with the lappy" with the hubby anymore. If they'd really been good they'd have "accidentally" replaced my PC with at least an iBook. I wouldn't complain.... :D
  4. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I'm sorry to hear about ur situation, but never never never never never buy service plans from BB because they're typically useless and waste of money. And when anything does go wrong w/ ur product, their policy typically does not cover it. Their more expensive service plan does cover most problems, but they cost a lot more than the cheaper one they sell you.

I have multiple friends who works for bb and they themselves never buy those plans because the product's manufacturer's warranty will typically overlap w/ the one BB sells u.

BB's techs are usually composed of amatuers and when they can't fix it, they send it in to the manufacturer to fix it and unable to give you any eta for when your product will be fixed.
  5. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    I don't generally buy service plans for products--especially not at BB, but I did this once because they offered a new free battery every year of the plan. That in and of itself made the plan worth it since the cost was much less than three batteries would have been. It just so happens that I've actually had to send it in for maintenance (which so far has been covered by the lesser plan). I don't like the length of the waiting period, but it's better than the alternative of having to deal with who knows how many more months/years of the problems I've had (assuming the manufacturer's service center actually fixes the problem).

The hubby keeps telling me that at least if I have to send it in two more times for the same issue I'll get a new lappy.... couldn't hurt....