Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floridonet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA
As an employee of Bby, let me set some things straight. First of all I am one that takes pride in where I work and the level of knowledge for me to do my job. People when ever you buy something always know what your getting into before you sign something and ask plenty of questions no matter what. If you have any doubts ask to speak to someone else or don't sign up. Sorry any of you guys not knowing what you were getting into are just foolish.

I tried to take a shortcut and it cost me a little pain. There was a large line at the checkout and when I mentioned, I was getting a 4G iPad, they directed me to the mobility services. This should have been my first hint of something was amiss. When I said I would just activate the iPad on my own which I have already done in the past, they said I would then need to go to the standard checkout line. I thought what harm would it be if they simply activated it for me? I proceeded to ask questions but the associates really didn't have details. "We're just pre-activating for you so when you turn on your iPad, it will already be connected to the Verizon network." was the depth of the answers. I can't say they were knowingly signing me up for a post-paid plan. In fact, I don't think the associates I worked with really had a clue. They couldn't answer why the minimum plan option was 2GB and not 1GB. It's because 2GB is the minimum for the post-paid plan. I had more of a sense that they were flying blind. In any case, the sheet they gave me had no details of the plan either.

If you know your stuff, then you are in the very small minority. I can tell you from my experiences with Best Buy that the majority of the blue shirt employees know only basic knowledge of the products and probably even less with the services. It's great to see someone so passionate about their jobs. I've encountered knowledgeable associates at BB so I'm not saying associates like you don't exist. I'm just saying you are too few and far between. Workers like you either go into management or leave the company in pursuit of bigger and better things leaving the not so knowledgeable associates on the floor. ;)

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
As an employee of Bby, let me set some things straight. First of all I am one that takes pride in where I work and the level of knowledge for me to do my job. People when ever you buy something always know what your getting into before you sign something and ask plenty of questions no matter what. If you have any doubts ask to speak to someone else or don't sign up. Sorry any of you guys not knowing what you were getting into are just foolish.

Secondly I cannot as one employee out of the many in the over 1200 stores validity all of my fellow coworkers but we strive to give the most accurate and truthful information. And to provide you with everything you need to get going. I inks it's this mantra is what sets us apart from other competitors. Best buy is not like any other competitors in that we take the extra time to sit and show you the value of what your buying and all additional parts to make it nothi short of an exceptional experience from whatever your buying. It is our job to show you the value and offer everything we have and to explain it 100 percent. Your not gonna find this anywhere else, Walmart as a huge example and if this is what you don't like well honestly go somewhere else.

Me personally as an employee and a constant shopper all of my experieces there have been nothing short of exceptional, I think when you have a bad it experience it's all vu common to overreact buy making some outrageous statements. The last thing I will close out by saying for every customer I aggravate for doing my job which is showing you all the accessories and offers we have to go with what your buying, the true reward is that 1 or 2 people that no matter what thank you regardless. It's our job to offer these things to you but it's your job to make the decision. It's our job to find the best solution to each customers needs. Sometimes it's the hotspot device sometimes it's the embedded 3g4g and sometimes neither.

I value all of the experiences I've had with my customers and will admit more then not I have customers wanting my information for me to help them outside of Bby. I do my job exceptional and all of my fellow co workers.

Those of you that took the time to read everything I had to say I thank you.

A very passionate anonymous Bby employee.

Where's the value in getting bamboozled into signing up for a post-paid plan with a $35 activation fee and losing the ability quickly check your data usage? Just so either employee or corporate can get a "kick-back" from verizon? Also along with a UNECESSARY credit check (this is always done when you sign up for a post-paid plan) which was also done without the salesman really explaining that this was going to be done. Whilst if they just gave me the iPad without their 'help' I could've done it on my own without a $35 activation fee and having to waste 3-4 hours of my time converting from post-paid to pre-paid. Your fellow employees or your company have all the same under-handed tricks that used car dealerships use!!,

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

Secondly I cannot as one employee out of the many in the over 1200 stores validity all of my fellow coworkers but we strive to give the most accurate and truthful information. And to provide you with everything you need to get going. I inks it's this mantra is what sets us apart from other competitors. Best buy is not like any other competitors in that we take the extra time to sit and show you the value of what your buying and all additional parts to make it nothi short of an exceptional experience from whatever your buying. It is our job to show you the value and offer everything we have and to explain it 100 percent. Your not gonna find this anywhere else, Walmart as a huge example and if this is what you don't like well honestly go somewhere else.

Me personally as an employee and a constant shopper all of my experieces there have been nothing short of exceptional, I think when you have a bad it experience it's all vu common to overreact buy making some outrageous statements. The last thing I will close out by saying for every customer I aggravate for doing my job which is showing you all the accessories and offers we have to go with what your buying, the true reward is that 1 or 2 people that no matter what thank you regardless. It's our job to offer these things to you but it's your job to make the decision. It's our job to find the best solution to each customers needs. Sometimes it's the hotspot device sometimes it's the embedded 3g4g and sometimes neither.

I value all of the experiences I've had with my customers and will admit more then not I have customers wanting my information for me to help them outside of Bby. I do my job exceptional and all of my fellow co workers.

Well said.

nUFamn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
BBY 1) quick-talked me over to their mobility desk, 2) as he was activating my device, the guy was bragging to the coworkers about how he'd never performed so many activations in one day, then tonight 3) successfully canceled my account, 4) told me to go to Verizon to pick up a new SIM, and now 5) Verizon is saying that each iPad is unique to its SIM, or something with their software is unable to activate a SIM for a device which does not have a phone number... or something.

Regardless, BBY really screwed this situation up. I SPECIFICALLY said "I want to be able to monitor and modify my data plan from within iOS" and he was like, "Oh yeah, this is the same process plus blah blah blah..." i.e. full of crap.

I'm sure there are genuinely helpful BBY employees out there; they have helped me before. But in my town on Friday, they used iPad Day as "Gold Mine Day" as a chance to fleece people, imo. Then they compounded the situation by, according to VZ, wrecking my iPad.

I think this will be the last time I buy an iDevice via any means besides directly from Apple. Not trying to be dramatic... but I pre-ordered one for my parents and that worked flawlessly. :rolleyes:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
BBY 1) quick-talked me over to their mobility desk, 2) as he was activating my device, the guy was bragging to the coworkers about how he'd never performed so many activations in one day, then tonight 3) successfully canceled my account, 4) told me to go to Verizon to pick up a new SIM, and now 5) Verizon is saying that each iPad is unique to its SIM, or something with their software is unable to activate a SIM for a device which does not have a phone number... or something.

Regardless, BBY really screwed this situation up. I SPECIFICALLY said "I want to be able to monitor and modify my data plan from within iOS" and he was like, "Oh yeah, this is the same process plus blah blah blah..." i.e. full of crap.

I'm sure there are genuinely helpful BBY employees out there; they have helped me before. But in my town on Friday, they used iPad Day as "Gold Mine Day" as a chance to fleece people, imo. Then they compounded the situation by, according to VZ, wrecking my iPad.

I think this will be the last time I buy an iDevice via any means besides directly from Apple. Not trying to be dramatic... but I pre-ordered one for my parents and that worked flawlessly. :rolleyes:
So cancel the plan, return the device to BBY and rebuy it and start over again. Or go to an Apple store to buy it. Or reorder one from any one of many mail order places. There is no shortage.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe I am just thick, but I can't understand how you can be signed up for this type of service without your knowledge and consent. They would need all sorts of personal info - DL, Social Security number, etc. - to do this. Why would you give them all this info and not ask yourself "why?" when you would not need to provide this info for any other straightforward purchase?

Do you guys just hand over this info to whoever asks for it without question?

nUFamn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
So cancel the plan, return the device to BBY and rebuy it and start over again. Or go to an Apple store to buy it. Or reorder one from any one of many mail order places. There is no shortage.

My 'contract' says "service cancellations must occur within 3 days of purchase." I canceled tonight and I'm returning the iPad tomorrow, but there wasn't time to do that tonight. (I'm not using LTE tonight anyhow; why give it back early?) I would've taken care of it tonight, but I thought VZ could just give me a new SIM and I'd be on my way. There's a couple retailers that have them here, but no Apple stores so I'll just have to make do I guess.

Maybe I am just thick, but I can't understand how you can be signed up for this type of service without your knowledge and consent. They would need all sorts of personal info - DL, Social Security number, etc. - to do this. Why would you give them all this info and not ask yourself "why?" when you would not need to provide this info for any other straightforward purchase?

At least in my case, I was on board until I looked at the contract's finer print that had been glossed over or not displayed on the digital signature device. The salesperson explained that I would be able to activate their plan and then deactivate it from within the device just like the normal iPad plan, which is not so. I wouldn't be complaining had he been correct.

Maybe some are careless with this info, but I was misinformed about some aspects of "their plan" and tried it out based on that misinformation.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
At least in my case, I was on board until I looked at the contract's finer print that had been glossed over or not displayed on the digital signature device. The salesperson explained that I would be able to activate their plan and then deactivate it from within the device just like the normal iPad plan, which is not so. I wouldn't be complaining had he been correct.

Thanks for the clarification.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
My 'contract' says "service cancellations must occur within 3 days of purchase." I canceled tonight and I'm returning the iPad tomorrow, but there wasn't time to do that tonight. (I'm not using LTE tonight anyhow; why give it back early?) I would've taken care of it tonight, but I thought VZ could just give me a new SIM and I'd be on my way. There's a couple retailers that have them here, but no Apple stores so I'll just have to make do I guess.

Maybe some are careless with this info, but I was misinformed about some aspects of "their plan" and tried it out based on that misinformation.

Nufamn, you're situation mirrors mine, the twerp who had me get on this crap post paid plan kept reassuring me it's the same as if I signed on within the iPad. The fact that thIs is happening in multiple locations in multiple states confirms my suspicion that his was an official policy handed out by likely a corporate memo.

nUFamn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the clarification.

No problem! Thanks for reading and listening to me whine. :D

Nufamn, you're situation mirrors mine, the twerp who had me get on this crap post paid plan kept reassuring me it's the same as if I signed on within the iPad. The fact that thIs is happening in multiple locations in multiple states confirms my suspicion that his was an official policy handed out by likely a corporate memo.

Yeah, my rep sounded totally confident that everything would be fine and operate exactly as I'd expected, and that what he was doing was the 'normal procedure.' I think it's a corporate memo, too... they realized that with Apple doing pre-orders, they wouldn't sell as many devices as last year, and needed to increase revenue in another area to capitalize on the iPad launch as best they could. I just wish there was an Apple store around here! :rolleyes:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Instead of just saying how much you love your job why don't you explain to us why you are instructed to do the things you do? Why trick unsuspecting customers into signing up for a post paid plan with unnecessary fees? Why try to sell customers a wifi iPad and a contracted 4g hotspot rather then a 4g iPad with no contract? I get the accessory push that's best buys whole business model. Sell $5 cables for $60 to make up for the low prices elsewhere. But these other tactics are pretty questionable even for best buy and you answered nothing with your post.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I agree this is wrong, the managers and employees are trying to boost their ring credits.commission/spiffs or whatever that particular chain calls it. What i don't quite get, YOU had to give your social security number for this to work. What on earth do you think they might need your SSN for? They do this because they are taking advantage of the fact that people are so excited and want the product so badly they will give up information they normally wouldn't just to make the process go smoothly. Never give your SSN or okay a credit check unless you were already planning to prior, and you are 100% sure its legit.

----------

Instead of just saying how much you love your job why don't you explain to us why you are instructed to do the things you do? Why trick unsuspecting customers into signing up for a post paid plan with unnecessary fees? Why try to sell customers a wifi iPad and a contracted 4g hotspot rather then a 4g iPad with no contract? I get the accessory push that's best buys whole business model. Sell $5 cables for $60 to make up for the low prices elsewhere. But these other tactics are pretty questionable even for best buy and you answered nothing with your post.

He did have a few valid points: be your own advocate, know exactly what you are purchasing and if there are any possible strings attached, and if there are strings, know exactly what information you are required to provide, and provide no more than that. Ask questions.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
He did have a few valid points: be your own advocate, know exactly what you are purchasing and if there are any possible strings attached, and if there are strings, know exactly what information you are required to provide, and provide no more than that. Ask questions.

Agreed, but it does not excuse stores from pulling tactics such as the one Best Buy is accused of doing here.

I think people mistake people being gullible as it being ok to take advantage of that. Just cause there are things people can do to keep themselves from being tricked doesn't mean it's ok to trick them if they don't do that.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California

My last day of employment at best buy was the iPad launch day. I don't understand why stores wanted to activate as many embedded 4g iPads as possible, we really don't make any money from the activation. (there is no commission for employees if anyone's wondering, unless they're trying to produce better numbers to get more hours or something, who knows) It also seemed silly because Verizon customers were charged an activation fee because we activate it as a postpaid plan through our system, not the prepaid option out of the box.

Mobile broadband contacts however, are a complete different beast. Hotspots and such are incredibly profitable for the store, and store management will do whatever it takes to get someone signed up for this instead of built in 4G.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Agreed, but it does not excuse stores from pulling tactics such as the one Best Buy is accused of doing here.

I think people mistake people being gullible as it being ok to take advantage of that. Just cause there are things people can do to keep themselves from being tricked doesn't mean it's ok to trick them if they don't do that.

We agree, it doesn't excuse them, but it goes both ways and as people have been getting conned for eternity, lets face it , for as long as other people have been willing to con them. The people doing the advantage taking will say well I'm only doing it because that idiot isn't protecting himself. Its a supply and demand argument, the only way to help is to tell the con artist he's an ******* and to stop doing it, and at the same time to tell the victim to take all possible precautions to not be victimized.

Dimemaker

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Verizon got me

I too got caught with the post paid trap with the Verizon salesman.

I was unaware the difference between the two services and plans. I was never offered an option. I thought it weird when they opened the box, and even weirder when they required my social security number. I was traveling from out
of state and was mostly happy to get my IPAD and get back.

Thankfully there are forums like Macrumors to get the word out on their shenanigans. Quick trip to Verizon set things right. Very simple fix.
Manager of the store quotes as saying in an annoyed voice "Of course they did"
In reference to them putting me on a post payed plan.

Still a little annoyed there was an unauthorized credit check on my account and who knows when or if ill get my $35 back for the activation fee. (They said I would) Overall though I thought they handled it well after hearing all the nightmare stories about getting it switched back and holy crap is the verizon speed fast. So im happy with my purchase and service.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I too got caught with the post paid trap with the Verizon salesman.

I was unaware the difference between the two services and plans. I was never offered an option. I thought it weird when they opened the box, and even weirder when they required my social security number. I was traveling from out
of state and was mostly happy to get my IPAD and get back.

Thankfully there are forums like Macrumors to get the word out on their shenanigans. Quick trip to Verizon set things right. Very simple fix.
Manager of the store quotes as saying in an annoyed voice "Of course they did"
In reference to them putting me on a post payed plan.

Still a little annoyed there was an unauthorized credit check on my account and who knows when or if ill get my $35 back for the activation fee. (They said I would) Overall though I thought they handled it well after hearing all the nightmare stories about getting it switched back and holy crap is the verizon speed fast. So im happy with my purchase and service.

unauthorized as in you are claiming you didnt give them your social, or as in you didn't know thats what they were doing with it?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Why? Because a lot of people are just stupid, plain and simple.

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Why? Because a lot of people are just stupid, plain and simple.

I don't really consider myself stupid, but when I picked my iPad up last week from Best Buy I really wasn't given an opt out. I argued that there was no need to do the "activation" or run my credit, and I even had to talk to a manager, but was told it was new policy and my only other option was to purchase a WiFi only model if there were any left. Personally, I didn't really care about the credit check, I was told it was needed to make sure people with balances owed to AT&T or Verizon weren't allowed to buy/active an iPad (BS I'm sure). The part that bugged me was the posibility of being put on a post paid account (something I knew could be fixed but didn't want to hassle with). That's why I kept telling them I didn't want to activate the 4G and wouldn't give them a date of when I wanted it activated. Just kept telling them the dates would vary so don't activate it.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
My last day of employment at best buy was the iPad launch day. I don't understand why stores wanted to activate as many embedded 4g iPads as possible, we really don't make any money from the activation. (there is no commission for employees if anyone's wondering, unless they're trying to produce better numbers to get more hours or something, who knows) It also seemed silly because Verizon customers were charged an activation fee because we activate it as a postpaid plan through our system, not the prepaid option out of the box.

Mobile broadband contacts however, are a complete different beast. Hotspots and such are incredibly profitable for the store, and store management will do whatever it takes to get someone signed up for this instead of built in 4G.

As a former mobile employee, I will say you are right about the no commission. Back when I worked there, Apple products, whether activations, new lines, upgrades, retail-price purchases, generated zero profit for Best Buy.

However, I keep in touch with my former VZW rep and he told me that BBY was planning on activating them in store. Why? Because when they do that and put you on a post-paid plan, Best Buy earns a bit of notional margin (money...profit) from Verizon for each device activated. I think this was the first time the carrier(s) (unsure about ATT) had this agreement with Best Buy, which is why BBY is activating them in store this time.

Depending on your location, chances are there were VZW employees at your location, answering questions and convincing people to sign up for LTE. They'd have the customer get the device activated in store, and then bam. Best Buy earns some money (no commission, mind you) and VZW earns money.

Now the question arises why do these employees do this? Well, frankly, they're told to. In the mobile department, in my district at least, we had high budgets to meet. A typical budget for each day for our department would be between $1.5k-$2k, on weekdays. Weekends it would be on the higher one thousands/low two thousands. On launch day and launch weekends, budget hits $3k. Depending on how strict the mobile manager or other assistant managers are, they can pull up reports on all the employees in the department and find out how much notional margin each employee has generated. They can see how many transactions they've had, how many new lines and upgrade lines they have, the Black Tie Protection attach ratio (transaction of device+BTP to just device), Buyback attach ratio, and accessory attach. When I was working there, it was expected that each transaction would be at least $90 in notional margin.

Best Buy gets zero profit by selling the device - where they get the profit from is accessory attach, BTP and Buyback attach, and for this launch, LTE activation. Speaking as a former employee of the mobile department, we are held to rather high standards. Our budgets soar on launch days and we are pressured to attach BTP and Buyback. Employees have to generate a good chunk of notional margin on launch days...so they do the postpaid option through beast. Not all employees are iPad savvy and know what this means for the iPad user...they are doing it because that was what they were told. Maybe they didn't know that prepaid plans through the iPad didn't have an activation fee. Maybe they didn't see it on their screen. I remember when we would activate devices, it would say on one of our final screens in the process "$35 activation fee" or "$18 upgrade fee" (Sprint/ATT). My department and I always pointed this out, and when we would print a summary page of the process and give it to the customer, it would outline it there too. I dunno :/ eh.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

If you reponse is any indication you're as bad as the other BBY employees who are pushing people into a plan without disclosing the true nature of it. Also, try rereading your comments for grammer and spelling before you submit.

It is your job to explain and describe services to a customer. Not hand them a TOS or presume they come into the store 100% informed about all the requirements/costs.

BBY folks are signing up people for plans they do not need to get activation and plan fees. Plain and simple.

If you are the exceptional BBY employee then I applaud you but if you signed one person up for that plan, or collected one activation fee then you are as bad as the rest.

Now, I am sure you were directed by your managers to steer customers to that plan, where possible, at the risk of not meeting your numbers so I'll cut you a break in that respect but I will not praise BBY or its staff for being customer centric.

----------

As a former mobile employee, I will say you are right about the no commission. Back when I worked there, Apple products, whether activations, new lines, upgrades, retail-price purchases, generated zero profit for Best Buy.

However, I keep in touch with my former VZW rep and he told me that BBY was planning on activating them in store. Why? Because when they do that and put you on a post-paid plan, Best Buy earns a bit of notional margin (money...profit) from Verizon for each device activated. I think this was the first time the carrier(s) (unsure about ATT) had this agreement with Best Buy, which is why BBY is activating them in store this time.

Depending on your location, chances are there were VZW employees at your location, answering questions and convincing people to sign up for LTE. They'd have the customer get the device activated in store, and then bam. Best Buy earns some money (no commission, mind you) and VZW earns money.

Now the question arises why do these employees do this? Well, frankly, they're told to. In the mobile department, in my district at least, we had high budgets to meet. A typical budget for each day for our department would be between $1.5k-$2k, on weekdays. Weekends it would be on the higher one thousands/low two thousands. On launch day and launch weekends, budget hits $3k. Depending on how strict the mobile manager or other assistant managers are, they can pull up reports on all the employees in the department and find out how much notional margin each employee has generated. They can see how many transactions they've had, how many new lines and upgrade lines they have, the Black Tie Protection attach ratio (transaction of device+BTP to just device), Buyback attach ratio, and accessory attach. When I was working there, it was expected that each transaction would be at least $90 in notional margin.

Best Buy gets zero profit by selling the device - where they get the profit from is accessory attach, BTP and Buyback attach, and for this launch, LTE activation. Speaking as a former employee of the mobile department, we are held to rather high standards. Our budgets soar on launch days and we are pressured to attach BTP and Buyback. Employees have to generate a good chunk of notional margin on launch days...so they do the postpaid option through beast. Not all employees are iPad savvy and know what this means for the iPad user...they are doing it because that was what they were told. Maybe they didn't know that prepaid plans through the iPad didn't have an activation fee. Maybe they didn't see it on their screen. I remember when we would activate devices, it would say on one of our final screens in the process "$35 activation fee" or "$18 upgrade fee" (Sprint/ATT). My department and I always pointed this out, and when we would print a summary page of the process and give it to the customer, it would outline it there too. I dunno :/ eh.

Zgamerpd109 pay attention to this in case you dont know that this is going on all around you in your BBY.

The rest of you...understand the enormous pressure applied to the BBY folks to perform or risk their employment.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I don't really consider myself stupid, but when I picked my iPad up last week from Best Buy I really wasn't given an opt out. I argued that there was no need to do the "activation" or run my credit, and I even had to talk to a manager, but was told it was new policy and my only other option was to purchase a WiFi only model if there were any left. Personally, I didn't really care about the credit check, I was told it was needed to make sure people with balances owed to AT&T or Verizon weren't allowed to buy/active an iPad (BS I'm sure). The part that bugged me was the posibility of being put on a post paid account (something I knew could be fixed but didn't want to hassle with). That's why I kept telling them I didn't want to activate the 4G and wouldn't give them a date of when I wanted it activated. Just kept telling them the dates would vary so don't activate it.

If this is true, then Bestbuy should be ashamed of themselves. I would hope that Apple would hold them accountable for this blatant misrepresentation of the facts. I just got done reading a long dissertation from an anonymous BB employee who was so proud of the company he worked for. Seems to me that the folks at BB got together and devised a scheme to rip off ipad customers. I will never shop there again.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
First let me say that i don't agree with the "tactics" here. That being said, there is blame in both sides. I agree you aren't stupid, surely. The problem i have is yes they push activations for obvious reasons, they're going to sell the devices regardless they'd rather sell it to someone who will get their numbers up. You simply gave in and agreed that you would take the post-paid plan in order to secure your LTE iPad, if you want to stop the behavior, don't cave like that. Im not saying i agree with the motives but its reality nonetheless. that being said, you do have an option, you simply say no. When they say you have to get a plan or get a wi-fi version, either take the wi-fi version or decide its worth it to argue and tell them they have no right to demand you activate a plan at which point they WILL cave and give you the device only. As far as the credit check, yes they are in fact making sure that there are no balances owed, but this is only for POST PAID accounts. No credit check takes place for prepaid accounts. Everyone should make a mental note if you are expecting a pre-paid account then don't give your SSN, there is no need for it. My main point is just stick up for yourself and your rights as a consumer depending on your situation, and most importantly know every detail of a situation before you go into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.