Best Buy to Discount iPhone by $50 Beginning Sunday

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Best Buy
    is launching a new four week promotion that will drop the price of new iPhone purchases by $50. According to AllThingsD, the sale will apply to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5, when purchased with a two-year contract from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

An iPhone with two-year contract typically costs $200 for the 16GB entry level phone, so with the sale, the price will drop to $150. The discount applies to all phone models.

Best Buy has offered similar sales in the past, most recently discounting the iPhone 5 by $50 during the holiday season. Other retailers have also offered significant discounts on the iPhone 5 in the past, with Walmart selling the device for $127 at one point.

Best Buy's current sale will begin on Sunday, May 26 and it will run for four weeks.

Article Link: Best Buy to Discount iPhone by $50 Beginning Sunday

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

3. macrumors newbie

Hopefully they will price match the phone I just bought two days ago!

4. macrumors 68000

B...

This MUST be an indication of the new iPhone 5S launching at WWDC with a better camera, bigger and better screen (500+ PPI), faster processor, GorillaGlass 3, fingerprint scanner, capacitive touch home button and Ive's flat black and white all-new iOS!

In all seriousness, older tech has and always will be discounted when newer tech is on its way.

5. macrumors 6502a

Wait, so the on contract $0.99 iPhone 4 will also get a $50 discount? So they'll pay you $49.01 and give you an iPhone 4 to sign up for a 2 year contract? :confused:

6. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

So like frys electronics did like 4 months ago.

7. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think it's more of an indication that BB wants feet on the ground in their stores. I picked up my iPhone 5 the last time they did this and an 11" MBA for $150 off, but they got me in the store. They also got me in the store yesterday to spend my $15 rewards certificate earned from the above purchases. It was quiet in there. :(

B

8. macrumors member

Does AT&T pricematch? I don't have a Best Buy that close to me.

9. macrumors 6502a

It's because RadioShack has been doing this for the last week or so. They are also discounting the Virgin Mobile iPhone 4 and 4s by $50.

10. macrumors 68000

M5RahuL

Does anyone know if this coupon is good for no-contract phones too ?

11. macrumors 6502

johnparjr

Reading comprehension

when purchased with a two-year contract from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

So no

12. macrumors 68000

M5RahuL

13. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

I can't ever seem to be at the right place and time with all these deals. I either buy on the first release date, or get impatient of waiting around for them to come and buy them just a week too soon. :(

14. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

I'll wait for the 5S.. My 4S is still a worthy phone, I can wait a few months :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502

Lol, good catch!

16. macrumors 65816

Either the 5S is coming out next month (WWDC surprise) or sales are slow enough to justify the sooner than expected discount.

17. macrumors 68000

I got an e-mail from AT&T last week saying I could upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 16gb iPhone 5 for $100 (I am out of contract). Decided to pass since the iPhone 4 really does everything I need plus I have the 32gb model and it's full. :)

18. macrumors 603

iphone 5 has been on sale every other month since release

even if the 5S comes out in september i will wait till december since there will probably be sales on it by then to upgrade from my 5.

19. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Your guess is as good as mine.

Good luck; you'd be crazy not to try.

Gotta love those Memorial Day weekend sales! :)

20. macrumors newbie

My carrier gives similar deals every few months.
    The last such discount was when the new Samsung phone came out.

My carrier gives me a new iPhone when my contract expires. That will be next Jan and I plan to pay an extra $100 to get the 32GB iPhone 5. My 16GB iPhone4 is full!
    :(

21. macrumors 68000

1080p

That deal probably requires you to trade in your iPhone 4. That essentially means you are selling your iP4 for $100. You could get more selling it on eBay/Craigslist.

22. macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 is getting a bit long in the tooth... especially the molasses pace of At&t's 3G in NYC.

23. macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes but how far away is it. This is more likely a sign that BBs sales figures are so slow they are worried about having overstock they can't return even if release isn't until the Fall. They know there are folks on a June/July end of contract from the phone releasing then in the past so they are trying to grab them.

----------

Not always, but you can bet you have to sign a contract. I'd almost rather not renew until my current phone is truly dying and see if the carriers all go t-Mobile style.