Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAWandHOARDER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I just had my first experience at Best Buy using their Trade-In Program. They gave me $260 for my iPhone 4s 16GB Verizon and I also had a $50 gift card that I signed up for that was available for my next upgrade.

So basically I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 32GB for free. It was a quick, smooth transaction in the store and I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't just wanting to sell their phone for cash.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I just had my first experience at Best Buy using their Trade-In Program. They gave me $260 for my iPhone 4s 16GB Verizon and I also had a $50 gift card that I signed up for that was available for my next upgrade.

So basically I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 32GB for free. It was a quick, smooth transaction in the store and I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't just wanting to sell their phone for cash.

The go for upwards of $300 on ebay. No immediate gratification but certainly you get more cash in the end:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
take out your ebay fees and shipping and you are about the same. Craigslist is the best place to sell :)

This.

Plus you don't run the risk of a buyer finding a "scuff" on the phone and raising all kinds of eBay and PayPal chargeback hell...

Craigslist at a SAFE location is awesome. If you're dumb enough to meet someone in a back alley, you get what you deserve. Be safe and CL is 100% safe right back.

Trading in costs you more profits, but you can be dumb with no repercussions.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I also used Best Buy trade in last month and it was a quick way for me to get the most for my old android phone plus I got to use the right away for iPhone 5 accessories as Best Buy had no 64gig iPhone 5's in stock.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Agreed! Sold my 4S for $340. Met buyer at Starbucks. It only took 10 mins of my time and immediate cash in hand. Best Buy...no thanks.

Why I always sell on Craigslist, I would never buy haha. I am way to OCD to buy a used cell phone.

vonWachtstain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
We just switched to Verizon so I had to sell our 4S. First my wife's white 4S with box and all never used accessories went for $400. Then mine black 4S with iphone 4 box (I mixed them up) and all used accessories for $400. And one week later my sister's black 4S with box and no accessories for $400. Do you see where I go with this? All phones were like new with not a scratch on them. All were still on warranty. Craigslist is the best way to sell it but you have to be smart about it and watch out for trouble.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
We just switched to Verizon so I had to sell our 4S. First my wife's white 4S with box and all never used accessories went for $400. Then mine black 4S with iphone 4 box (I mixed them up) and all used accessories for $400. And one week later my sister's black 4S with box and no accessories for $400. Do you see where I go with this? All phones were like new with not a scratch on them. All were still on warranty. Craigslist is the best way to sell it but you have to be smart about it and watch out for trouble.

Also CL prices are not universal. Depends on supply and demand in your area. In my are you won't get more than 230 for iPhone 4s 16gb. The iPhone 5 will fetch you less than 500.

vonWachtstain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
Also CL prices are not universal. Depends on supply and demand in your area. In my are you won't get more than 230 for iPhone 4s 16gb. The iPhone 5 will fetch you less than 500.

While I dont doubt it I also want to point out its up to you how much you will sell it for. I refused countless people offering me 150-380. I held out. If you have nice phone dont sell it cheap. You are still paying for that contract. No need to subsidize phone for somebody else. Its tough I know.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Agreed with Craigslist. I been selling iDevices on there since the first iphone and macs even before that. I never had an issue. You just have to be smart and meet at a safe place. Craigslist crime has spiked a lot in recent years. Meeting at a police station is good place to meet. You aren't doing anything wrong and police officers even encourage it.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
While I dont doubt it I also want to point out its up to you how much you will sell it for. I refused countless people offering me 150-380. I held out. If you have nice phone dont sell it cheap. You are still paying for that contract. No need to subsidize phone for somebody else. Its tough I know.

You could hold out, but after a week or two, you may just sell it. Depends how much the money is needed. Also, if others are selling it for less than you, it may be a while.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I use Craigslist often. What I do is I come with a buddy of mine and we meet at a safe public location. I also come with one of those pens to check the money to see if they're real or counterfeit. I let the person know in advanced about the pen so they won't feel some type of way. I actually said that to one person and never heard from him again lol

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
This.

Plus you don't run the risk of a buyer finding a "scuff" on the phone and raising all kinds of eBay and PayPal chargeback hell...

Craigslist at a SAFE location is awesome. If you're dumb enough to meet someone in a back alley, you get what you deserve. Be safe and CL is 100% safe right back.

Trading in costs you more profits, but you can be dumb with no repercussions.

Good points, whenever I deal craiglist i always make sure to bring my Smith & Wesson .40 sub incase any crazies are out there.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Agreed with Craigslist. I been selling iDevices on there since the first iphone and macs even before that. I never had an issue. You just have to be smart and meet at a safe place. Craigslist crime has spiked a lot in recent years. Meeting at a police station is good place to meet. You aren't doing anything wrong and police officers even encourage it.

^^ this is me too I've been using CL since, well forever. For all electronics/ gadgets I meet at Starbucks because they have free wifi and I can test it a little more and you can plug stuff in.

I hate ebay because I don't like giving one third of my money away. To avoid getting raped by ebay/paypal you have to include the fees in your sell price which pushes the item above it value and you end up with no bids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.