Best Buy Will Begin Selling iPod's Later This Month

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Just had to post this. It's really exciting! :D

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956305.html?tag=fd_top

2. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

maybe this will lead to best buy selling apple computers. that would be nice:D

4. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

Not another Circuit City!

I hope not. Selling Apple computers is a somewhat high maintenance activity: it requires keeping the Macs well presented and at their best. When faced with cheap commodity boxes available at places like BestBuy, consumers will not choose Apple unless it is well presented. Based upon the experience at places like Circuit City, I wouldn't expect that to happen. Apple is just fine selling its wares at the Apple Store and the CompUSA store within a store.

The cross-platform iPod, however, should go over very well.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Best buy did sell Macs a few years ago.

failed miserably.

arn

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Hey arn, can you fix that typo in the title, pretty please? It's annoying the He!! out of me! :mad:

Thank you. ;)

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

selling ipods

god this is terrible and good. this will really hurt us independent apple reseller owners. the ipods isnt that bad though. i think this is a bad move for apple, i think best buy people dont know anything. i just pray they dont start selling macs, which i highly doubt they willl because they have put so much money in the apple stores. i think they are just selling the ipods at best buy because you dont have to know alot about computers to use one and it will draw curiosity towards apple.

iJon

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

This is definitely good news. All my PC friends love my iPod, and they said "Boy, wish I could get one." It's pretty cool now that I can say "You can."

PC users who hate the Mac but get an iPod. Haha! We'll convert them yet. :p

9. djniche macrumors regular

I have very bad experiences with best buy's customer service. Many problems with returns, exchanges and refunds. I have heard from employees also that they really dont care about their customers.

But the ipod will get more sales and that's great for apple. 500 stores all over the country will transale into big exposure and hopefully big sales.

I'm trying to get a 20 gig ipod and sell my 5g. But I will go to the apple store, because i know if something goes wrong best buy will make it a nightmare to solve the problem.

10. daRAT macrumors regular

This is great news for Apple, but I will buy mine from a local Mac dealer to support the small guy.

I have lately had unnatural urges to buy a iPod...hmmmm

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This is good in the sense that it will give apple more exporsure to the masses. In a way this is good for the small Apple retalier because if somone buys the iPod at Best Buy they might want to buy more Apple stuff so they go to the small guy to get a computer cause Best Buy does not carry them, its a win-win situation!

I can't wait to see more people with iPods!

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

This is what we've been talking about all along, right? A way to get Apple more exposure and introduce PC-heads to the quality of Apple products. Our Trojan Horse.

Not only that, adding Best Buy gives Apple 750 retail outlets to peddle the iPod for the Xmas shopping season. Could be a major boon for the bottom line. Purely tossing around some numbers here, but if each store sold 10 ipods a day, that's 600 per store per quarter, or 450,000 overall; at an average of $350 a piece, that's $157,500,000 in revenues. Not bad for a little gadget.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you guys are right.

i think good will come from this, as long as best buy doenst start selling computers, but apple probably wont let them do that, god i hope not. there isnt much profit with the ipods at a reseller anyways, but it will be good for apple so not really bad for us resellers. but if there is a independent reseller in your area (like here in fayetteville arkansas where i live) buy it there, you will get more customer support while the robots at best buy wont even give a care about you. later

iJon

14. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

"Best Buy will carry the 5GB and 10GB Windows iPods, for $299 and $499, respectively. The retailer also will sell the 10GB Mac iPod for $399."
    Can some one explain this quote for me?
    Do we get a discount for being a Mac user? The iPods aren’t made different just the software that comes with it, so why the odd pricing?

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

typo

i think that was a type. if i remember right they will carry all the windows ipods at the regualr price and only carry the mac 10 gig at the regular price. correct me if i am wrong.

iJon

16. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

September 15th has come and gone

At my local Best Buy store located conveniently right down the street from me, the not-so friendly salesperson in the personal audio section of the store couldn't very well spell iPod, much less let me know when they might be selling them. I know the is MacRUMORS, but I thought that the previously mentioned article had a date of 9/15 for selling these both in the stores and on the web. I can't find them either place.

Are we talking about the same Best Buy?

And for the record, Circuit City is just as bad as far as selection and quality/price as Best Buy, but since they're on commission, at least they'll talk to you.

17. bombensington macrumors regular

FYI-

Just went to Best Buy the other night, and the iPod has arrived, fully stocked.

18. rugby macrumors regular

I think this is great for Apple as long as the salespeople are trained as to what the iPod actually is and can do. Best Buy is good as long as you know exactly what you're looking for and it's not a computer.:D

P.S Best Buy won't sell Macs again, they are a dump and move sort of store.

19. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I doubt any of the "big chain" electronics stores (best buy, circuit city) will try to sell macs again any time soon, but selling the iPod is a good idea and hopefully those stores will start to stock more Apple accesories at least and software, I have exactaly zero small buisness mac stores in my area so I have to do my buisness either online or do some travelling so this would be great....

20. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I have to agree - Best Buy and Circuit City ARE my options here, save for Shreve Systems, which sells refurbished and old stuff only (they advertise in MacWorld and other pubs). So when these two retail monsters carry mac stuff, that makes me really happy. But I don't think selling full systems will be an option for either of them anytime soon.