Best buy's ipod protection plan is AWSOME!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shortys408, Mar 25, 2006.

1. shortys408 macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2006
    I had a 3g ipod non clickwheel, 15gb. I purchased it less then 2 years ago. I bought the protection plan because the batterys supposedly crap out around 2 years. Recently the battery died and I took it to best buy. They said they no longer carry the 3g and replaced it with a new 30gb ipod with video. Apple's protection plan doesn't even do that :) I only paid 40$ for this plan.
  2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    Same here, I had a 2G mini and the battery went out. Not only did they give me a black 4GB nano, they also transferred the remainder of the replacement plan to the nano.

Best Buy rocks!
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    If you read the warranty though, they are not obligated to do that. Sometimes it is less of a hassle for them to just do an exchange, and thus they do that. I'm glad you got a new iPod, but please realize that this same experience is not necessarily duplicated in every store.
  4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

Oct 6, 2005
    wow that is so awesome..maybe Ill buy my next ipod at best buy.
  5. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    I work at Customer Service at Best Buy and deal with this multiple times every time I work. So here is the lowdown:

Best Buy offers both a replacement plan and a service plan on iPods.

Under a replacement plan they ARE obligated to do this. iPods that best buy offers a replacement plan on (currently only the nano, previously they have been offered on early 4th gen and prior) are products which are designated in such a way they can be sent back to the manufacturer and Best Buy will receive a credit. (Many many products, mostly smaller ones, have this designation.) For this reason it is cheaper for them to just exchange if for you in the store.

Under a service plan Best Buy will send your iPod out for service. Best Buy offeres the service plan on curent video iPods and late 4th gen iPods. Repairs will be made unless the cost of the repairs exceeds the cost of a replacement, in which case you will be notified and you will be given a new, off the shelf, iPod. As of me typing this Best Buy ONLY services the 60gb video ipods, but not the 30gb videos. The service center has not yet converted for those. Most likely it will be sent out for service, but will be 'junked out' at the service center and you given a replacement.

Best Buy will also honor the manufacturers warranty, but this is more iffy and will probably vary store to store. They are SUPPOSED to either exchange the unit or send it to service for you and have Apple pick up the tab.

I definitely recommend the best buy plans over the Apple ones, espeically on the nano since it is cheaper and you receive a replacement in store. For other iPods you essentially get the same deal no matter where you buy it, but best buys price may be cheaper.

WARNING: Best Buy will not cover cracked screens! If your iPod has dents it may be deemed user inflicted damage.

Edit: BEST BUY'S REPLACEMENT PLANS AS OF AUGUST 2004 NO LONGER COVER BATTERIES, but the service plans DO cover batteries. There is major company wide confusion on this (understandibly so), so you would probably be able to get away with using it as a reason if you have a replacement plan, but don't bank on it. Also, many employees will tell you otherwise, for some reason the company can't get this issue straight.
  6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Yeah, I had a Windows laptop long ago and the power adatper fritzed out. They shipped me a new power adapter and battery too. I didn't even NEED the battery either. My old was one was still getting 3 hours of life.
  7. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    You should really check into this.

Replacement plans are non-transferrable. UNLESS the product in question was exchanged within the manufactureres warranty and if the product being exchanged for is exactly the same. It is also up to the stores discretion if they even want to do this. Keep in mind there is no official documentation of the transfer of the plan from your mini to the nano. Your exchange slip does not officially document this. Also the insurance company best buy uses for replacement plans, as far as they are concerned, are only covering your mini, they know nothing about the nano. Then again, Best Buy is not very concrete in their policies, if you bitch enough you can get almost any exception made within reason.

For service plans the plan is transferrable to whatever replacement product you get for the remainder of the plan. Unless a no lemon exchange was preformed, then the plan is considered fulfilled. A record of this transfer is kept in the Best Buy system (if someone takes the time to enter it).

Sadly customers get misinformed A LOT at best buy. The companies policies are so complex it's hard for employees to keep track of them all.
  8. ieani macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    I still wouldnt mind seeing every Best Buy reduced to smoldering rubble. Nothing they do will ever change that either. They are the epitome of "sell you **** you dont need so we get our bonus" companies. I worked there for 3 hrs and quit because they wanted to pay me next to nothing to sell the more expensive but actually worse cameras to the avg. idiot customer plus all the worthless extended warranties and accessories, so the department head would get his fat check. **** him. I refused to do it and walked out. I havent been there since.
  9. bloff24 macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2008
    Best buy return Policy

some People have no clue, Buy it at sams club, Pay the membership fee and you have an unlimited return policy as long as you have the reciept.
    return your ipod 3 years later for a full refund.
  10. integragsr macrumors member

Aug 14, 2008
    what kind of service plan does bestbuy have for the ipod touch? Will they replace it if something goes wrong with it?
  11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2008
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    MMMMMM Can you provide a link showing that policy? I have been a member there for 10 years and never seen that.
  12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2007
    i believe they changed it to 60 days.. i could be wrong though

but i know costco has a 90 day return policy... AND you get full refund even if you opened it.. used it... scratched it.. etc...