Best camcorder for macs for under $500.00?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Greenone, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Greenone macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2005
    Hi -

Maybe there's another more appropriate area to post this but I'm here so I'll ask away:

I've been leaning toward either the Canon Elura 100 or the Panasonic PV-GS300 and both have strong pros and cons which are driving me nuts. If you want to go nuts too, see what I mean by going to and comparing them!

I'm slightly more interested in the panasonic but it appears to be better friends with a PC than a Mac. :-( But maybe I'm just reading in to little comments (consumer reviews) that I shouldn't be...

2. RPP macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    The GS is 3CCD and the Elura is 1CCD, meaning the GS is going to put out higher quality footage and nicer colours. I have, however, heard people say that the GS isn't so nice to use, atleast for the type of things I film - not having an adjustable viewfinder and such, but I don't know if those things would even be relevant to you. The Elura is kinda small, too (I think ...) if that means anything.

I've never heard of cameras being more mac friendly than others, though.

Personally, I'd go for the GS. I doubt the little annoyances I have are going to effect you too much.
  3. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    I have a GS400 that I like quite a bit. It has a few annoying interface/configuration quirks but the quality of the video is great.