Best Carry bag for TiBook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MaxRool, Dec 4, 2002.

1. MaxRool macrumors member

I am looking for a bag to carry my TiBook around in. I am considering the "The Gent" (i know, sounds lame) from Crumpler, but would be very interested in feedback from other TiBook users.

I want it to use for every day travel to and from work and do not want it to look like a traditional laptop bag.
    ie I don't want everyone to realise that I have a laptop with me.

Thanks

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I'd consider a backpack to hold your laptop...draws less attention than shoulder bags.;)

Me, I'm using a regular backpack from Jansport, and am getting the TomBihn Monolith to protect the ti-book...

[EDIT]Corrected spelling error[/EDIT]

3. MaxRool thread starter macrumors member

OK, I give in what's a TomBlin Monolith?

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Sorry, I thought I had included the link. And hey, I spelled it wrong.

Click me for the Monolith--Great protection.

[​IMG]

As you can see...it offers good protection in your backpack, and draws little attention.

Now what does the bag that you were looking at look like? Post a link please ^_^

5. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Don't get a laptop bag that LOOKS like a laptop bag - you're inviting thieves, and... people might think you've got a Dell in there!

Check out the great bags at STM. especially the Alley - that's what I've ordered for my TiBook.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I would also recommend Tom Bihn products, but I love my "Brain Bag" and "Brain Cell"!

Horribly long URL to the product page

And the pictures...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've had mine for over a year now and they're still in great shape after being dragged all over the place. :D

Oh yeah, the bag comes in more colors than just purple. ;)

7. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Paint chipping

I would stay away from the bags that have straps that wrap around the TiBook once situated in the bag.

Over a single year of use, the straps have rubbed off some paint were the two meet, along the bar that harbors the hinges to the monitor.

Not a major issue, but something to thing about.

Chad4Mac

8. iMax macrumors member

just got the 1ghz tibook, and the brenthaven titanium2 backpack, and it works great... high quality, low profile and very functional.

i did read somewhere on the internet about this guy who designs and seels, custom made, these leather bags for the ti that are extremely high quality, beautiful and very functinal, but they cost upwards of 400.... or even more maybe....

the titanium 2 is a great bag.

9. MaxRool thread starter macrumors member

Thank you to all for your replies.

Over Achiever & Rower_CPU, The TOM BIHN Monolith or maybe the BrainCell look exactly like what i want to put inside a traditional style pack pack. (I may even go the Brain Bag)

gotohamish, unfortunately the STM site says"Coming Soon" so I was unable to look at anything. (PS Dell? shudder :) )

Chad4Mac, thanks for that advice about paint chipping (It make sense now that you mention it and I probably wouldn't have thought of it :( )

iMax, did you have a link for the brenthaven titanium2 backpack?

PS.
    for Over Achiever Crumpler USA

10. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Not sure if a TiBook will go well in this ... works great for my pismo. I think the dimensions are right.

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Sure it will, with room to spare ;)

12. MaxRool thread starter macrumors member

Room for two :D

13. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I got a Tom Bihn Monolith and it didn't live up to it's advertising. although my requirements are prolly higher than average (it gets thrown in a pack with 20-30 pounds of books and things), I got a collapsed cell in the corrugated plastic during a quick 2 minute test in my backpack when I got it. it has absolutely no support on the thin edges, so I was really worried about my tibook getting squished under all that. to fix this I bought some ~1/8th inch thick acrylic plastic pane of some sort, cut it into pieces, and then used it to add armor to the case. I put two rectangles down the little pocket areas in the sides to give it some rigidity put two more panels in the front and back to reinforce the corrugated plastic. overal the pieces didn't change the bag cosmetically at all, and its a LOT sturdier. after carrying it around in my backpack for about three weeks I haven't noticed any damage to Tibook yet, not even scratches on the screen (though I do keep an ordinary piece of paper over the keyboard when its packed).
    I emailed Tom Bihn and he mentioned that he was looking to redesign the Monolith...so he might be changing it soon. my lombard got so beat up that the rubber on the back of the screen even started to chip off at places, so it's great that the modded Monolith has been able to preserve my Tibook

14. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm also using a Tom Bihn bag for my powerbook. Like other posters here, I have very high standards for this bag and it works perfectly. I can put my laptop in there with tons of books and nothing gets hurt. I t has fallen on the ground and been pushed around with no problems yet. I would personally reccomend teh bag that I got.

BEN

15. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

They must be available as MacWorld Magazine here in the UK gives them away each month with a printed 'hint'.

Hamish

16. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Ahhhhh!

Two conflicting info on the monolith...having second thoughts on buying it...

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Check out the backpacks, sleeves and shoulder bags made by sj design.

www.sjdesign.com

They have a new line of stuff designed for students with built in notebooks and it is designed to keep the computer separate from the "cargo." The really unique thing about the sj design bags is that you don't have to take the computer out of the bag to use it. As such, you don't risk dropping it or scratching it so much. There is a non-slip material that holds the computer firmly in place. Another material is on the bottom that keeps the bag from slipping off a desk or your lap. I have a lapdog and I can drop the bag on my lap, unclip it, fold it open, and be using my computer in a matter of a few seconds (without ever removing the computer). Then, when I want to get up, I just fold it up, clip it, and I'm on my way. The concept of the bag wrapping around the computer is patented, and several of the other bag manufacturers tried to copy it and ended up getting sued (it really works, and is worth a look).

M

18. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

McRain,
    Wow, thats a cool bag there. Unfortunately, I need to carry around more than just my laptop, and I'm not so sure how many textbooks that backpack can handle.

Otherwise, that is one really slick design ;)..kudos to the company :)

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it's worth it, it just needs a couple of simple mods. tell Tom Bihn of my mods and he might even get them done for your when you order one he he :D

20. MaxRool thread starter macrumors member

Nah
    Gonna go the Monolith and the Brain Bag too!:D
    Thanks once again for everyones advice.

21. TomBihn macrumors newbie

Monolith and more

Choppaface's ideas for modifying my Monolith are good ones and I hope to include some of them into my next generation of that case.

However, we try to build cases that provide the maximum protection for the least weight and bulk. We've sold hundreds of Monoliths for G4s and have had only a few complaints, none of them about protection. Because the TiBook is particularly susceptible to torquing and flexing, I can
    foresee certain situations where one might require even more rigid protection; maybe a Pelican Case is the answer then.

Reading these posts keep me thinking and designing.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming.

22. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Re: Monolith and more

You're not THE Tom Bihn are you? If you are, I'd like you to know that I am a happy customer of your online store who purchased a Trager Courier Laptop bag a few months ago for my TiBook. I like the bag much more than the Timuk2 bag I got but returned.

23. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

WOW. Thanks Tom for taking the time to post. You have great looking bags/sleeves...I've been considering buying your products for a while now. :D

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Tom,

Like I said above, your Brain Bag and Brain Cell have worked out great for me. It's so refreshing to find high quality bags that don't disintegrate after moderate/heavy use. Along with your Snake Charmer I'm one happy PowerBook owner.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing your future designs.

:)