Best Carrying Case for 12" powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alohafish, Jun 30, 2004.

1. alohafish macrumors newbie

May 23, 2004
    I'm about to purchase a 12" powerbook with a superdrive for school next year, and I'm in the process of trying to find a good carrying case. I was looking at Marware's sportfolio II carrying case because it's light and slim. ( I'm still not sure though. Any good suggestions???
  2. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How are you going to use it? I need to carry my laptop and a bunch of books. I didn't want the books banging against the laptop so I am actually going to use two bags - a messenger style bag for my books and a Tom Bihn Buzz for the laptop. I haven't gotten it yet (it takes a while to get one!)
  3. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    or you could do this amazing thing:

you could SEARCH the hundreds of threads about this exact question.

crazy that someone else asked this before, huh?
  4. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I am also a student. I thought it would be wise to carry my laptop in my backpack, as I don't want people to know I have one when I'm off campus. I bought an Incase laptop sleeve. Apparently their site is being remodeled, so it's down. Apple also sells these. I've found mine to be very capable of storing my PowerBook in another bag, such as my backpack. It takes up very little space. I also think it's a very high quality bag, with lots of attention to detail. While I don't really recommend using it as a standalone case because it doesn't have a lot of padding, it does have nice carry handles and comes with a shoulder strap.
  6. upperblue79 macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2004
    Little Rock, AR
  7. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
  8. spasticmutant macrumors member

May 2, 2004
    Santa Clara
    Waterfield ( ) makes rockin' bags. In addition to the bags, they sell a padded sleevecase with suspension strap. Get the optional D rings and ballistic flap and you're good to go. I personally got an upgraded full-on large Cargo Suite Spot that includes this sleevecase with optional extra configuration, but my full rig not cheap for a student.

For a student, I like the D Rings on the padded sleevecase and the ballistic flap because you can attach the accessory piggyback pouch to it. I can put a power cable, wireless mouse, and Kensington lock in it no problem. The extra flap keeps the laptop safe from prying eyes, spills, insects, and dust. The suspension strap that goes with the optional D Rings is extremely comfortable, and mildly bouncy.

It's light, it's padded, it's comfortable. The fabric is extremely sturdy, and though I'm not sure it could take a bullet (maybe a wadcutter - definitely not a jacketed hollowpoint), it's certainly every bit as strong as seat belt material.

Oh yeah - it's all American Made! What a concept.
  9. Bungalow Bill macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2004
    I got the incase that fits the 12inch powerbook, and it is perfect. when i go to work on set or in the office, i just bring the bag itself, when i go out of town i just put it in my backpack for extra protection. The incase is great cause you can move it into and out of oher bags and it works like a sleeve, but with dual portability
  10. omala macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah, but searching this board for bags/cases turns up a hard-to-sort-through mess - I tried it a few weeks back when I got my new powerbook 12.

Personally, I'm currently using a Tucano second skin 12" zippered padded sleeve (fry's/ sells them for $25 - search for Tucano), and a Kensington Saddlebag (backpack/shoulder bag, available from anywhere for $40-$50). Works for me, has plenty of space, and didn't cost too much.