Best case for Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Winstonp, Feb 5, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

What's the best 15'' apple case?

My hope is for something:

1. Very Very Protective
    2. Not so large that it cannot fit into my school backpack

2. macrumors 6502

If you're looking for something really protective, I'd check out some products by Axio. Their Hardsleeves (under Laptop Cases on the website) look to be pretty slim, and extremely protective. If you're not looking for something that extreme, check out Booq. They make really great stuff, and their line of Vyper sleeves are great (and they've got one for the MacBook Pro). Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

3. macrumors 68000

Marware is the best for what you're looking for. Their 15" PowerBook case should fit your MacBook just fine. They may even have a MacBook case out now.

www.marware.com

4. macrumors 6502

I got a booq backpack and case for school next year. I love it.

5. macrumors 68000

Mareware's Sportfolio Sleeves would be best for you. I bought one for my girlfriend's 15" PB and she loves it. It offers great edge protection while being thin enough to easily slide into her backpack.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I think I need something harder.

booq's viper m2 doesnt ship until march and may, and the axio plastic case doesnt ship until may....

that sux, they both seem absolutely perfect.

I supposed I can use a transitional case until then.

Any other suggestions?

7. macrumors 68000

Harder? Wow, do you throw your backpack around a lot or something?;) :D

The Marware case has hard plastic wrapped in neoprene around all the edges so when your MacBook Pro is in your backpack and you set it down roughly, the edges of your MacBook are protected from damage. My gf has told me time and time again how much she likes this feature; it especially comes in handy when she sets her backpack down on a park bench. The hard plastic keeps rivets like the ones found on park benches from denting your laptop.

I can't recommend these cases enough. A "harder" case won't protect your laptop in a backpack any more than the Marware or any other softsided case will. When you set down your backpack, only the bottom edge of your laptop case will come in contact with that surface.

Also, a harder case will be extremely thick and take up lots of room in your backpack.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

What do you mean, is there a gap in plastic protection, where it is only cloth protecting the macbook?

How thick would you say that this plastic is? Also, does the plastic incase the entire sleave or just some parts?

This sounds like a good buy....

9. macrumors regular

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

11. macrumors 68000

There's no gap in the plastic protection around the edges of the case. When you slide your MacBook into your backpack while in the Marware case, your MacBook will sit vertically. The Marware case has a plastic bar wraped in neoprene (for cushioning) that goes all the way around the edge of the case. So, when your laptop is sitting in your backpack, only the edge with the neoprene and plastic will come in contact with the ground when you set your backpack down.

The plasic is thick enough to prevent any dents to the side of your MacBook Pro. And yes, it is a really good buy.

12. macrumors 604

kretzy

Check out this guide, it will probably be a good resource for your research.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

If anyone wants max protection in minimum bulk, try Tom Bihn's Brain Cell, a semi-rigid padded sleeve which has a new size just for MacBook Pro. There's a vertical version and a horizontal version. I think both have handles, but the horizontal adds a stretchy pouch for the power supply or whatever. I've used early versions in the past, and they look to have improved since then too. The hard sides and a nice big cushion on the bottom edge give you drop protection you don't expect from a compact sleeve.

15. macrumors 68000

16. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Crumpler school hymn is a good choice as well.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

2.1-1=1.1

1.1/2= .55 inches of "stuff" between the MBP and the world.

Doesn't seem bad to me.

18. macrumors regular

FongMan

I actually emailed www.mac-case.com about this product:

http://www.mac-case.com/MacCase Messenger.htm

now if you're like me who wants it for school purposes then this is perfect.
    I got a reply and the gentle man says that they are redesigning the sleeve for the Mac Book Pro. Release date or range i'm awaiting from him

19. macrumors newbie

hearudude

20. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

With the delays that are cropping up for UK orders, you might still get it sooner than an MBP. :p

21. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I just got this, and it says it will fit up to a 15" book. Just check the dimensions of the MacBook to make sure. The padding is built right into the backpack, but I don't know if it's enough protection for you. Check it out.

22. macrumors regular

The STM Rebounds are the original, and still best, high density/ high resistance polyurethane foam sleeves. Fit like a glove. Always have. The MacBook Pro model is due any day...

BB

23. macrumors newbie

hearudude

I would still take the Zeroshock over the rebound.

I think its safer than a polyurethane case.
    Plus hate the feel of polyurethane!
    Just my 2 cents.
    hearudude

24. macrumors 68000

Tucano, the maker of the Neoprene case will be shipping their Neoprene "Second Skin" product in two weeks. I called Italy where they make them and I got the info. The problem is this people... if you're using one of the form-fit cases, the Powerbook cases DON'T fit... it's not so much a thickness issue, it's the width... the zipper will scratch cause it fits too tight... it's just not ideal, but Tucano will be shipping theirs in two weeks... You can get them for like $20 at frys electronics or online at www.outpost.com just MAKE SURE it's the one that says MACBOOK PRO!!! This thread is full of idiots saying it's the same as the powerbook, clearly they don't have their macbook pro yet, lol.

25. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Has anyone used/tried the Radtech Slevez? I am considering purchasing one but I don't know EXACTLY how well it protects the MBP. I have a laptop backpack and would put this inside that, or a shoulder bag... whatever fits my mood. :D