Best CD/DVD Burning Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zflauaus, Aug 7, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I know you probably have a bunch of these programs, but bare with me. My DVD Burner was originally designed for Windows so it does not come with DVD Burning software for the Mac. What are so good free/low-cost Mac DVD/CD burning software? Thanks!
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    OS X might support it out of the box. If not, try Patchburn. It will probably add support for your burner under OS X.

For paid utilities, Toast Titanium is the best Mac burning software.
  3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004

I believe this subject has come up here quite frequently. Maybe check the search feature to see what others have already commented.

If you use MacOS X 10.4 "Tiger" it has CD/DVD burning built-in (Burn Folders). The iLife suite (US$80 for the '05 version, $50 for the '04 if you can still find it) includes iDVD which will burn video DVDs. Roxio Toast 6 Titanium is one of the best all-around (data, audio and video) CD and DVD burning programs for MacOS X though. You can often find it on sale for $70 (I think it's normally $100) if you shop around (Amazon,, etc).
  4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Just use the finder that comes with OS X. Put a cd/dvd in, drag the files onto the cd, drag it to the trash which will turn into a different icon which looks like a nucular button or something and your done.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Another vote for Toast. Absolutely fantastic piece of software. Well worth the price (especially when bundled with an external DVD-burner...) :)
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    A third vote for Toast. I've always been a bit tight when it comes to buying software (I usually like to try and find a free app that does what I want) but in the case of Toast, the app is definitely good value for the money. (I actually also purchased Jam with it as well, and that has been a great app as well.)

It all depends what you want to do with it though - if you're just burning basic discs, then OS X's built in burn utility is probably adequate. If you're wanting to do VCDs, SVCDs, disc copies, image files, bin/cue, hybrids, UDF and all that wonderful stuff, Toast is the app you want! :cool:
  7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Well, to be honest, I would recommend 3 applications:

1)Finder in OS X (unless you have OS X 10.2 which doesn't support disk formats that will work on PC's)
    2)Disk utility (really, you can do amazing things with this...)

If you just want to burn data, you will need no more than the built-in Finder's burning capabilities

If you want to be able to burn additional types of disks, you may be willing to try disk utility. Disk utility is a fine app and many people ignore the fact that this is the only app that can make a .dmg file that contains BOTH disk images from a hybrid PC-Mac disk.

If you want it all, then you will use Toast. It supports everything that Finder and Disk utility has, plus burning VideoCD's, making your own Video DVD's, burning multitrack CD-ROM XA's, enhanced music CD's, burning cd's with ISO-9660 format, and more.
  8. Patch^ macrumors regular

Mar 11, 2005
    Great Britain
    Roxio Toast!! (Finder and Disk Utility are good to).
  9. jecoy2011, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

jecoy2011 macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2011
    ROXIO TOAST FTW! It can be your DVD burning software if you are using MAC. MACburn is also available if you have the budget. ;)
  10. LionNz macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2011
    can it burn my toast ?

I N NEW HERE and my toaster is not working anymore.
    Can you burn my toast ?
  11. Dave Braine macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    Which Mac?
    Which OSX?
    Which version of Toast?
  12. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2012
    My votes goes to....

Toast Titanium from Roxio and Patchburn.....

13. LadyX macrumors 68020

Mar 4, 2012
    Best CD/DVD Burning Software

Does the Toast Titanium require a Blu-ray Reader/Burner to rip Blu-ray movies?
  14. firedept macrumors demi-god

Jul 8, 2011
    Another vote for Roxio Toast Titanium.

LadyX, yes you will require a drive capable of burning Blu-ray disc.
  15. Dave Braine macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    For ripping a BluRay as well?