Best Cell for a Mac and PC user

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lollypop, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Im looking for a new phone, my current Moto V600 is getting a bit old (had it for 2 years).

Im not huge on a high megapixel integrated camera, but I would like the images it takes to be decent, my V600 sux!

I want it to sync with iSync, as well as outlook on my work PC, ideally via activeSync. So I will need a decent contact manager and calender onboard.

I would prefer if it was a moto, but I like the new SE's.

It has to have decent bluetooth and expandable memory.

I can only upgrade every 2 years, so I want to maximise the technology I get, so I would really like it if it has 3G support.

Was thining the Moto A1000 but my cellular provider told me they discontinued support for it.

Any suggestions?

2. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

all the sony walkman phones are very good. Cameras in particular on them are the best for phones, uses real image processing. Most come with expandable memory.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html this will show you compatible devices with isync, and it will likely come with software for windoze.

3. josepho macrumors regular

Despite my current phone being a Nokia, I have had the best experience using Sony Ericsson phones in conjunction with my Powerbook. Personally I prefer the user interface of Nokia Series 40 phones, however this UI simplicity often also limits the capabilities. My next phone will almost certainly be a UMTS (3G) model, as I currently use my phone for internet access daily, and whilst EDGE is good (at 200kb/sec+) it's not as high as it could be.

If you're looking for near-flawless iSync compatibility, my vote would be for a Sony Ericsson model. The camera quality, in general, is very high, not to mention they're fairly stylish.

4. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

i really want one of the new sony ericsson walkman phones but they are just so freakin expensive.
    Roomate got the New motorola SLVR w/ cingular yesterday for $229-
    with 2 year contract --> not too bad
    He had all the same requirements and after playing with it in the store he couldnt help himself.
    comes with 512 MB of expandable SD micro memory... can play up to 100 songs with itunes on the phone which was a great plus. takes good photos (640 x 480) plus low quality video. Has bluetooth along an adapter so you can plug in any pair of headphones.

It works like a Jumpdrive with USB interface and 512 MB of memory.
    Only downside is USB 1.1 but im pretty sure this is due to the size restrictions on the form factor itself... couldnt fit the chipset for USB 2.0

Let us know what you decide on cause im thinking of getting the PEBL, or one of sony's :eek:

5. glitch44 macrumors 65816

But the PEBL isn't listed as supported for isync... or is that list outdated?

6. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

Nokia 6682 is an awsome phone, has EDGE, and has perfect bluetooth integration. Also, it can isync almost everything. Address, pictures, calendars, etc. Also, it has a megapixle camera that takes great photos. Also, if you are a fan of teathering than it's a great phone for that too. And the UI is slick as hell.

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

He got a crap deal, RadioShack sells it for 149.99 with no rebates on a 2 year planor 199.99 on a 1 year plan.

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have the Motorola RazR V3i with iTunes and expandable memory, and I love it!! It does everything I need it too PERFECTLY!!

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Where did u get it? and for who?(cingular, verizon ect)

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think Apple could have! They did it with the Nano!

11. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i would go with sony ericsson. for quality and features, as well as platform independent compatibility, you cant beat these phones IMO. i reccoment the K700i/ k750i, or you could even wait for the K790i cybershot phone.

www.sonyericsson.com check it out!

S

12. therevolution macrumors 6502

I guess there's no official support, but it looks like it can be done with a little bit of work. I had wondered about this too, since I have a PEBL on the way. Looks like a nice phone!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

SonyEricssons have a UI that craps all over Motorola's.

Actually, so does everyone else :p

14. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

forgot about that... i dunno why they wouldnt include USB 2.0 with the SLVR??? maybe it just wouldnt fit with all the other electronics in the Phone.
    :confused: