best cell phone to work w/ a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by condor, Jul 16, 2004.

1. condor macrumors member

Okay, so I am looking to get a new cell phone and am not feeling loyal to any one provider so my options are wide open. I was completely ready to order the Motorola v600 with Cingular service until I did a little digging and found it isn't compatible with iSync! That blows, as it seemed like the perfect phone.

I currently have a t68i which, although it works great with iSync, is showing its age. I've also decided I want a flip phone, which cuts out most of the options by Sony Ericsson. Does anyone have any advice for me based on phones they have been happy with? It seems like there isn't the greatest selection out there right now. Is there anything big coming in the next few months that I should wait for? What are the chances of iSync getting upgraded to work with the v600?

Thanks!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've got a Motorola T720. It's a good phone, likes iSync just fine, and can be used as a very very slow dialup modem. It's a year old so I don't know if they're still available, but I imagine that it's successor would be just as good, if not better.

By the way, be careful with cables! You'd think a cable is a cable but many are not compatible with Macs. If you buy a Motorola phone, buy the Motorola-branded cable. Do some research online and check Ebay for good deals.

3. Soire macrumors regular

Hey I have a T730c with Verizon service. How is this compatible with a Mac?

I mean, i hook it up with a cable, and then what? It'll sync my address book?

What else will it do, and how easy is it?

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Personally I'm a fan of Sony-Ericsson phones, I have a T610 which is a huge step up from the T68i.

If you're set on getting a clamshell phone I'd recommend the SE Z600 my mum has this phone and I love it, it has all the features of the T610/630 and a few more plus an awesome screen. If price is no object you might want to look at the SE Z1010 I'm seriously considering this one for my next phone. BTW the model numbers might be different for the US versions.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'll second the T610. If you really want a clamshell the models listed in earlier posts seem pretty good. i can't comment on their Mac integeration unfortunately.

6. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I have the T610 as well and it works great. The wireless syncing through bluetooth is pretty nice too. I've never had a problem with my phone working with iSync either.

7. AdamZ macrumors regular

I third the T610

Actually anything from Sony Erricson is going to be your best bet. Everything from iCal & Address Book comes through iSync as good as any other compatible phone. I especially like that events in iCal can be set to automatically turn my phone to silent when the event starts, and then return to the previous profile after the event has finished, all automatically. This is great during meetings, classes, movies, whatever you schedule. So you never have to remember to turn your phone to silent! But the best reason for using a Sony Ericson phone is for the best piece of shareware ever. Sailing Clicker. You can control your Mac via Bluetooth! Start and stop iTunes from the next room, see the song title and duration on your phone. DVD control, powerpoint, keynote, mouse control, ect. It will even pause itunes or DVD when you get an incomming call, and play again afteer the call has ended. Address book pictures come up on screen upon incomming call. It will even set your iChat status as away, when you and your phone leave the house. So much more!! Anything striptable! This program was the only reason I wanted bluetooth. the site is Sailing Clicker

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Whoa! I had no idea you could do that. What do you set in iCal to make that happen. That is way cool.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The T610 is discontinued. It was replaced by the T637, which has a much better display, same bluetooth and iSync functionality.

I'm curious, though: how do you set the phone to not ring during certain events using iCal? I don't see any function like that iCal.

10. SillyKary macrumors member

You set it on the phone. At least that's how it works on the T68i. You can make it go silent on any event in the calendar.

Yeah the z1010 is an awesome phone. But I doubt it will come to the US anytime soon. It's a 3G UMTS phone, no carrier here has that service yet.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well he did say through iCal, I thought. Can't find this function on the phone, either. Don't see where profiles can be linked to events.

12. SillyKary macrumors member

On the T68i:
    Set up two different profiles, one normal, one silent.
    Menu - Settings(5) - Profiles(2)

Then go Menu - Organizer(7) - Calendar(1) - Options(7) - Profile switch(2)
    Set it to Auto and choose which profile to use when you have an event in the calendar.

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

While were on the topic...

Is the SE Z600 compatable with Cingular? I would like this phone but don't really want to change companies. :D

14. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Nokia 3650. Does everything + bluetooth + you can put doom on it (yes doom) and it works in eroupe and japan

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

any SE phone with bluetooth is a good choice.

16. dav macrumors 6502

SE phones have the best bluetooth. K700 should be out soon which is excellent.

17. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

18. dav macrumors 6502

Too expensive for a phone though... :rolleyes:

I was hoping it would be cheaper.

19. clr900 macrumors regular

20. dav macrumors 6502

Tmobile, ATT/Cingular as far as I know, that is just off the top of my head though..

Anyway take an SE over a Moto phone anyday, you will not regret it.

21. nerd macrumors member

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in using Sailing Clicker (mentioned previously) with my powerbook.

What sort of bluetooth range can I expect with a phone like the T637?

Does anyone have any "simpler" phone recommendations? I'm not really interested in all the bells and whistles (like a camera, etc.)

22. clr900 macrumors regular

I wish SE would make a phone that is a lot like the new k700 but does not have a camera, instead it would be a little smaller but still keep the same size screen. In my opinion none of their phones are very nice looking, but I think they could make one without sacrificing much except the camera.

23. dav macrumors 6502

SEs whole product display at the last CEBiT or whatever was about cameras in phones.. I doubt they would get rid of it.

24. SillyKary macrumors member

I used Salling (not Sailing) Clicker with an iBook, Acer bluetooth dongle and T68i in a lecture hall. When I tested it before the presentation, I could move several rows back (about 8-10m) before I started getting trouble. The range of built-in bluetooth (newer PBooks) may be smaller. I heard the metal case shields a bit.

If you wanna use Salling Clicker, you need bluetooth. "Simple" phones don't have bluetooth. That's considered a pro feature. And pro phones these days usually also have a camera.