Best cellphone to sync with PB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cloudgazer, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I need a new cellphone.

originally wanted to get the v3 Razr. but the review have not been very good.

I want a phone that I can sync using BT (not USB) with my Pbook.

It must be able to sync with my Address Book and must be able to share photos using BT.
    (I am considering Nokia 6230i)

Any suggestions?

also, does anyone know anything about the 'Nokia Collector" software for mac?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There's a list of supported phones on Apple's website – unfortunately the 6230i isn't among them. You can still send files to and from your Mac with Bluetooth File Exchange – but there's no iSync support I'm afraid. If your heart's set on that phone, there is a shareware app called Phone Director that does many iSync-type things and works with the 6230i – that might be worth a look.

3. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Yeah, I saw that, but was under the impression that the page was a little out of date.
    Apparently the 6230i is one of the best Nokia phones on the market.

OK, actually it just accured to me, that the Nokia phones on Apple's site all run the Symbian OS. (the 6230i doesn't)

I will take a look at Phone Director - thanx

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, but so's iSync... ;)

Yeah, I've heard pretty good reports on them – I have a 6230 and I've been more than happy with it. My only gripe is it's not iSyncable! I've eagerly checked the iSync page each time an update has been released but, like you say, only a certain type of Nokia's smart phones are syncable and the 6230/6230i aren't among them.

5. dxm113 macrumors member

who is your wireless provider?

Some carriers cripple some BT features on phones. For example verizon is notorious for this, the BT sync works but OBEX is crippled. Some of the other carriers may also disable some BT features.

So, make sure that your carrier's version of the phone supports both syncing and OBEX . . . else you may have to hack your phone to get what you want

6. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

dxm113: I don't think I need to worry too much about my provider.

The Cell companies in SA (MTN, Vodacom, Cell C) are all pretty jacked up.

I did some research on 'Phone Director' and a) it costs money b) you need Tiger - I'm still running 10.3.9

This could turn out to be a pretty expensive exercise for me.

Has anyone used or looked at 'Nokia Collector' software?

Of course, i could alway settle on a phone that does appear on the Apple pages.

7. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I don't suggest getting a Treo 650. It took about 12 hours (or roughly two weeks) to finally get iSync to work. I bought programs, tinkered with all kinds of settings, and also nearly broke my mouse from continuously slamming it against my desk. FINALLY, I was able to get it to work, but it still doesn't transfer everything properly.

Still a great phone though. Amazing, actually.

Fishes,
    narco.

8. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Too bad about that....I was actually thinking of getting a TREO, but really want sync to work.../..

9. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Well, it's still a great phone. If you can get over the hours it takes to get iSync to work, then I think you'll truly be happy with it. The best thing is to be able to control iTunes on my Mac via-Bluetooth on my phone. It even displays the album artwork, title, song, etc. I've talked a couple people into buying one after showing them that. The last gadget I truly got obsessed over like this was the iPod.

But yeah... iSync... blah.

Fishes,
    narco.

10. davebl macrumors member

i have had really good luck with any nokia with the symbian series 60 OS and bluetooth. all have performed well with isync.

11. dcv macrumors G3

I'd recommend any Sony Ericsson handset... nice designs, easy to use interface and work perfectly with iSync.

12. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Can you sync your address book?

This would be the most important feature for me

The same question applies to dietcokevanilla.
    Although can't say I'm mad about the Sony Ericsson phones. The screen quality looks a bit crappy, and the interface doesn't do it for me at all.

Also, there are currently great special offers/deals going on Nokia and Motorola phones, but strangely none for Sony Ericsson.

13. dcv macrumors G3

Yes I sync all my contacts. There is really very little to the set-up. I didn't know what I was supposed to do... as far as i remember i just turned on bluetooth on the powerbook and the phone... the PB detected the phone and asked me to enter some sort of code to pair them (and vice versa) and then i managed to just sync the two using iSync. it's as simple as that, it just works!

I only sync my contacts so i don't lose phone numbers etc in case my phone ever gets lost or stolen, i don't use it for calendar functions but presumably those would also sync(?). I use bluetooth file exchange to access pictures etc on the phone's memory stick.

I have the Z1010 but wouldn't recommend that particular handset to you since it's a 3G phone. I'm pretty sure other Sony Ericsson handsets would sync just as easily and some of the latest ones have really decent cameras built-in too. Well S.E. are my preferred manufacturer... i personally don't like Nokia phones. You mentioned the Motorola Razr - that is a nice-looking handset, but i don't think it compares that well to Sony/Nokia feature-wise.

good luck with whatever you decide!

14. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

I have a Nokia 6680 on Orange which i sync every day using Bluetooth with my PM.
    Works perfectly and never had a problem! I've even ditched my old Sony Clie SJ-33 since I now have eveything on the phone.

Anyone interested in a used Clie SJ-33 perfect working order and absolutely no scratches on the screen? ;)

15. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Thanx for the prompt reply dietcokevanilla.

I've never had such a tough time choosing a phone before.
    Nokia is ver ybig here in SA, all the service providers seem to punt them. Motorola is catching up, but SE don't have much of a presence.

My brother had one, and hated it. I usually trust his judgement.

And like I said 'no special offers' when getting an SE.
    My service provider is wiling to give me a R2000 gift voucher in addition to a new phone to renew my contract (the exact price of a Nano....)