Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
so theres a lot of best mouse threads but i'm not looking for the best...in fact i barely want mediocre. i just want something cheap.

i don't want a cordless

all i want is 2 buttons and a scroll wheel
also i'd like the tracking to be pretty decent, in fact thats the reason i want to up grade from my current mouse. comfort is not important, my current mouse is one of those tiny ones and i'm fine with those...or the bigger ones

hopefully there is one for less than 30....

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Logitec and Kensington probably offer the best range of products for Mac. I'm a bit partial to the track balls. I just got a Kensingotn Expert Mouse which is a track ball with the the "big" ball. It has four buttons and a scroll ring that can be customized. It's not cheap ($99) but it's really nice. I used the Tubo Mouse with my old computer for the past 6 years and never had a problem.

At work I have Dell that came with a Microsoft mouse. I replaced it with a Logitec track ball. For mouse it seemed OK. It had optical tracking and was quite smooth.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
bought a ibm optical scroll for 20 bucks , but let me tellyou you buy cheap you get it. it works fairley well but its construction and material is way behind the pro mouse. the pro mouse just needs a wheel.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by zvitali
I bought Microsoft Wheel Optical Mouse and just love it. See it here with free shipping: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10321708&hdwt=30803&loc=101&sp=1

Like it even more than MX700. It's very nice to hold, glides very smoothly and precisely. I am not a gamer though...

wow that one looks great, and thanks for a link...

i've used the one with more buttons on it...probably the mx700 and i love the tracking...this one looks up my alley, i'll check it out

DavidFDM

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Maine, USA
Check out dealmac for specials on mice. Some really good deals roll around weekly.

http://dealmac.com/headlines.html

This way you can get a quality mouse for just a few bucks. I have a MS Wheel Mouse Optical that works great but its a backup to my MS Cordless Optical which is heaven. I never realized how much I hated the damn cord.

edit: I just checked there is a good deal on some MS Mice.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've got the MS Wheel Optical too, it's the cheapest optical USB mouse I could find, and it works perfectly. But don't make the same mistake I did - DON'T install the MS driver! The Apple one's fine, the MS one disabled the clicking of the scroll wheel (actually it reconfigured it to do something different and I couldn't set it back), and caused some other problem too.

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
I got a Logitech Optical mouse from my local Best Buy. It meets all your criteria and is very smooth and reliable all for only $20!!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was just at a CompUSA in Los Angeles. They had small Mac-compatible USB mice, two buttons, scroll wheel, intended for use with notebook computers, on sale for $7.50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.