Best Chess App for Beginner?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by nope7308, Dec 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

nope7308

Can someone please recommend a good Chess app for beginners? I'd like something that has tutorials to teach you the fundamental principles and basic strategies. Bonus points if it has good graphics and a smooth UI (I have a 4S). Naturally, I'd prefer a free app, but I don't mind spending a dollar or two.

Thanks for any/all suggestions!

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope7308

After testing practically every (free) Chess app out there, I believe I've answered my own question: Shredder Lite.

If anyone's interested, this app automatically adjusts difficulty based on gameplay, mimics common human errors (relative to difficulty), and warns you immediately after you make a really stupid mistake. In this way, it indirectly teaches you the fundamentals by helping you develop proper habits during play. The UI is fairly intuitive and everything seems to run smoothly. For a free app with no ads, it sure beats most of the alternatives.

I hope someone finds this info useful...

3. macrumors 6502

4. cr2
    macrumors regular

I think you should get the upgraded Shredder for a very nominal cost -- the best part it works on iPad too (don;t get iPad version)

I am retired from chess. If you want to really get better then check internet chess club -- worth every penny spent....

Cheers!

5. macrumors 68030

As far as I can tell, paid version of Shredder is an iPhone/iPod touch app (it will run on 2X mode, but not iPad native).