best city in us, uk, asia, south amer., africa, australia, pacific, europe?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 31, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    for us, i like where i live in the monterey/salinas area of northern california

in the uk, bude and clovelly are magical

as for europe, i have no experience on that one, but i keep wanting to see istanbul...gateway to asia or gateway to europe depending on which way one looks at it

and in the vast pacific, kauai is hard to beat:D
  2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Hmmmm... This is a very difcult question... So I will just describe you what the city where i live looks like... I love Lisbon, it's the capital city of this small country full of history, it's a very beatifull city, with all it's small houses, with the river Tejo heading on to the Atlantic Ocean, with the sun shining on every street, on every window, on every monument raised to celebrate the Discoveries... it's a wonderful city...
  3. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    simple guys, its Sydney :D

nah, maybe somewhere is Asia since there is no crime
  4. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure what I'd call the best city in the US... It really depends on what you're looking for in a city...

A nice tourist place is Mackinack Island (sp?) in Michigan. There are no cars, just bikes and horses... It's a really nice place. The Grand Hotel is world famous, but also very beautiful.

Now, if you come to McAllen, you'll be in the middle of the biggest drug trafficking highway in the US...
  5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    de-criminalize then you will start seeing 18 wheelers working for rj reynolds co.:p
  6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    For the US it has to by NY or SJ, I am in the states for two weeks next year for the Apple Expo New York (or Boston, but I think it has been confirmed for NY)

For the UK it has to be London, got to love the tube :) Manchester is pretty cool (I work there) but London still rules ;)

Haven't been to many cities in Europe or Asia etc...

7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Hmmmm...... I've been to many places.... and all of them have incomparable qualities.......

I really loved Seattle...... and I can certainly imaging myself living there, my favourite is probably London just due to the diversity of life and the literally endless possibilities that can be achieved there......... but it doesn't have a naturally dynamic setting like say Sydney or Vancouver........ London can also be an incredibly cold place if you don't know anyone either......

San-Francisco is very cool....... and I can't wait to see some of Scandanavia later this year......

The only place that i have been, and wish I hadn't wasted the money was Paris...... a much overated city IMHO......
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    For me, the choices would be fast-paced. I don't really like the country, so small cities don't appeal to me.

In Asia, I can't imagine any place better but Tokyo. It has everything, but privacy and a slow pace.

In the U.S.A., Philadelphia has it all, but San Fran bay area is my other choice.

UKers: It's not just cream cheese. I don't know how many times people from the U.K. have only connected Philadelphia with cream cheese but it's been a lot. :)
  9. afonso macrumors member

Feb 5, 2002
    San Francisco
    UK: London, by far... i live here and it's just an amazing life :D and the tube is wicked!! nothing beats getting stuck in a tunnel for 1 hour with no air conditioning and 33 Celsius inside!! :D

Portugal: Lisbon is vibrant, though a bit on the rough side... Porto is quieter, smaller and friendlier... still, I'd prefer to live in Lisbon as I like bigger cities...

US: gotta love nyc... though, the bay area is extremely nice as well :)

tiaguinho: entao es de lx? nice :) eh sempre bom ver por aqui mac users portugueses... tambem andas pela mailing list da apple? se quiseres manda-me um email ou assim... se ja tiveres o ichat usa o meu email como contacto e podemos falar.

later guys,
  10. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    i cant really judge having only been to several notable cities, but im quite fond of Boston and San Francisco. I would like to Tokyo eventually also, ive heard good things.
  11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    There are so many cool cities in the United States, but in order I would say Las Vegas, L.A.,Chicago, NYC, and Miami!!

In Asia, I heard Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghi, Singapore, Syndey, Mumbai and Kuala Lumpur are the best places to visit!! I plan to go to all of these cities within the next six months!!!:D

For Africa, I would say: Cape Town, Cairo, and Morocco

For Canada, I would say Toronto!! It is very nice there.

For central and South America, I would say Cancun, Purto Viarta, Buenos Aries, Rio de Janario, and Sau Palo!!!

For Europe, London, but it rains to much!!:mad:, Paris, Barcelona, Prauge, Rome, Athens and Venice!!

And for the middle East, I Heard that Mecca, Tel Aviv (minus the Bombing;) ), and Istanbul are great!!!
  12. kevinibook macrumors member

Jan 6, 2002
    Geneva ,Switzerland
    Re: best city in us, uk, asia, south amer., africa, australia, pacific, europe?

I agree, I have a summer house in Pebble Beach which is nice place to live...
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I've been to quite a few places around the world, and they all have good and bad sides - I don't think any one stands out. Even in the US there isn't one city that is 'best' overall.

Because it comes down to what is *best*? Its a subjective question, based on personal preference - do you like the wilderness, cosmopolitan, suburbia, etc. Climate also plays a role. So I really can't pick one place over the next - I just like visitign all of them and hope to visit even more - Going to Paris this year for the first time.

And I do think travelling and seeing other cultures and ways of life is important because it gives you a better frame of reference to your own life.

14. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    define "best" ;)

i really don't have a favorite.

after living overseas for 6 years it's hard to pick one. :)
  15. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Austin, Texas is arguably the best city in the US. New York absolutely rocks, but it isnt the live music capitol of the world :D. As for Europe, I have only been there once, and I did go to a lot of cities, but I havnt been to many of the largest/most popular cities in Europe. London was pretty cool I would probably go with London, but there are some pretty cool cities in France and Italy.