Best Company: ATI VS nVidia (for mac)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Apr 20, 2005.

?

ATI or nVidia?

1. ATI

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. nVidia

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I would like your opinions about this matter. Which company do you think offers the best products and the best support for graphics card for the mac? Which company you think it provides the Mac platform competitive cards at a most affordable price?

I would also like you to consider the technical support factor (aka driver functionality, hardware reliability, additional software for the company's cards etc)...

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think ATI is somehow better, because they give the users a panel where they can adjust options like anti-aliasing. I wish Nvidia would offer something like this.

3. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

No X800 or 850 at the Apple store!!! So sadly nVidia with its' 6800 GT and Ultra win. (for the moment)

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

right now NVidia has better hardware, but ATI has much better drivers, so it kinda balances out in the end. Right now id pick ATI over Nvidia personally.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

ATI, better image quality, faster in most things than the ultra and the same price as the GT, unless you plan on getting two 30" displays the x800 is the better card + you can get hardware overides and a slew of extra features with ATI software that comes with it (you can download it fro any mac with an ATI card, it's usefull)

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Since ATI got their act together with their drivers, I think they have a slight edge. The X800 for Mac performs just as good as the 6800 Ultra, but is smaller and cheaper. Sure you can only power 1 30" display, but I'm not too concerned about that. I also like the fact of how ATI releases their own drivers for PC, Linux, and Mac. Nvidia only releases drivers for PC and Linux. Another reason I like ATI is there are drivers for Linux on the (mac)PPC platform. Nvidia does not. If you have a Nvidia graphics card you are force to run without hardware acceleration.

7. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

I've always liked nV better but most of my GPUs have been ATI.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

ATI serves the Mac community better overall; it has a larger product range, the ATI Display control panel for tweaking and better drivers.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

ATi's Windows drivers suck, and their Linux drivers are total CRAP, however on the Mac NVidia's drivers can sometimes be a bit...low in performance. The Geforce FX 5200 (non Ultra) for example gets TERRIBLE Mac performance, but on a PC I can run Star Wars Battlefront on high settings, and it can even run Doom 3.

On a Mac, ATi ends up the best choice.

On a Windows or Linux box, I'd take NVidia.

10. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I agree. Totally.

ATI has been supporting the mac as much as they support PC's. Actually, i think it's apple that supports ATI! Remember the old times? When ATI first came out? Apple was the only one that exclusively put only ATI GPU's into their G3 machines, providing the best support for those cards.

I have been an ATI fan since the time ATI released ATI Rage 128, which was the only card which had better performance than the Voodoo 2 in Unreal. Later, I purchased an iMac DV 400 with Rage Pro with 8mbytes vram in it. It kept me playing games (even unreal tournament in high settings) for many years.

When I bought my iMac G4 (see specs below) I was greatly dissapointed. I was playing even warcraft 3 with some hickups! And somehow, nVidia's GPU's do not perform well in widescreen resolutions! ( :confused: ).

Now, I am using an ATI 9600XT which came with my g5 (look my specs in the signature). I have finished doom 3 and I played the game in 1024x768 ultra quality settings (actually, I could set it to high quality with no change in performance since ultra quality is not yet supported by current GPU's). And I feel no urge to upgrade my video card, although I know it's getting old.

With nVidia I felt the need to upgrade (as far as gaming is concerned) at the moment I purchased it!

Also, nVidia's prices suck. Do you know that in order to purchase Geforce4ti you need 590 euros and at the same time 6800 Ultra costs 580 euros?? :confused: . Check the prices at ATI and compare. ATI offers much more graphics card choices (9200, 9600, 9600xt, 9800, 9800xt), but nVidia offers 3 cards, Geforce4TI, 5200 series, and the 6800 Ultra, which imho are not worth their money.

Let alone the drivers...

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

ATi fan here.

Got a GeForce 6800 Ultra in my G5, but the only reason I did this is because it was released so much earlier than the Radeon X800 XT.

In every Mac that I have owned since my B&W G3, I have upgraded the grfx card:
    G3 B&W 400 MHz: ATi Rage 128 >> Voodoo 5 5500 >> ATi Radeon 9200
    G4 Sawtooth 500 MHz: ATi Rage 128 Pro >> ATi Radeon Mac edition >> ATi Radeon 8500
    G4 Cube 450 MHz: ATi Rage Pro >> nVidia GeForce 2 MX
    G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz: ATi Radeon 9000 Pro >> ATi Radeon 9800 Pro
    G5 Dual 1.8 GHz: ATi Radeon 9800 Pro >> nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

I am generally pleased with all upgrades. :)

All the ATi Retail cards have a TV out and support those fantastic 3D override settings. nVidia cards have nothing.
    IMHO, ATi have the better cards & driver support for Mac, except for the performance in Doom 3.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

ATI is my choice. They offer better mobile configurations and they have DVD decoding throughout the line.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

ATI. For reasons stated above. Also my impression is that ATI is somewhat interested in actually supporting Apple, whereas nVidia grudgingly says, "Yeah, OK, have some of our cards, now go away and stop bothering us. And write the darned drivers yourself."

Oh, and nVidia has obnoxious advertising, though I never really see ATI advertising at all...they better wise up with some obnoxious advertising of their own, or else they'll lose out. Obnoxious advertising does work after all. (Windows, right?) Or does it? I mean, how many people have seen the nVidia ad in UT2004 and immediately said, "Oh bother, I'm going to have to rip out my cruddy ATI card and replace it with a shiny new overpriced nVidia card, so I can play this game the way it was 'meant' to be played!"? Anyone?

--Eric

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I actually knew a moron like that. He had a Radeon 9800 (non-Pro). He then saw THAT obnoxious ad, and went out and bought a GeForce 5700 LE. Then he saw the performance plummet, and thought he has a virus, and went and bought a new Dell computer.
    [​IMG]

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Ack. That makes me very sad. (But you see, I guess I was right, obnoxious ads do work...on morons anyway....)

--Eric

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

ATI all the way ----

Of course that's blind patriotism talking. Let's help Canada's balance of trade, yeah!

Make up a bit for the $4 Billion stolen from our forest industry and $1B from our cattlemen. Oh $#^$ me I've gone all political on a 4 line posting. Sorry.

18. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Lots of ATI fans in here ;) I vote nVidia everytime and i'm sure apple/nvidia are working on better drivers for the Tiger releases..

I had ATI h/w inside the G5 and suffered the dreaded black screen of death after every cold start or power failure.. kinda sucked and totally put me off ATI. nvidia - plugged it in had great gameplay results and i'll never look back!

nVidia get my vote :D

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to offer a biased vote for ATI, simply because I've never used nVidia :rolleyes:

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I am not a graphics freak, so as long as the card can play movies and not blow my system up, I am fine...

BTW, I have an nVidia card...;)

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

By the way, let's make this into a proper poll :)