Best Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdaddy121, Aug 2, 2006.

1. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I am getting my fully loaded white macbook tomorrow and I want to get some great speakers as well. So tell me.....what are the best computer speakers out there....according to sound, according to looks, and according to good bang for your buck.

2. iMacFan78 macrumors regular

iMacFan78

JBL Creature II
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks II

I own the JBL Creature IIs, and I must say that they are amazing speakers. The sound is great, they have an amazing price, and they look really cool. I hear that the Soundsticks are even better in terms of sound quality.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Up to 250....tops....

I already had the Harmon Kardon and gave them to my parents so I want something different. I like the JBL creatures but are they enough? I really loved the Bose Companion 3's but they don't match the white macbook well and they are pretty expensive for what they are....computer speakers.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I have a 5.1 Panasonic Stereo System, and I was wondering what it took to get my MBP hooked up to that. It has Audio in line I think, but it also has Red/Why/Yellow/ In... Which way would be best, and what would be required?

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've got a pair of the Altec Lansing AC45.1 PowerCube Speakers they are brilliant, i can highly recommend them :cool:

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

In the lower end of the price range I'd be going for Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s, but they aren't white if that is important.

9. nsknike macrumors regular

I have logitech z-5500 and they are amazing. I'm sure you can get them on ebay for less than $250.

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Any answers to my question about getting a MBP hooked up to a Stereo System?

11. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Attach it to your line in.

For the above poster good speakers would be:
    Klipsch promedia 2.1
    Logitech z2300/z4
    HK Soundsticks

or 5.1 go for the z5500.

I'm personally selling my z5500 though and getting 2 monitor speakers with a amplifier. Should be about $400/$500, but can be cheaper(or more expensive offcourse) depending on the speakers/amp.

If you really want a cool combo, I would advice a stereo amp and 2 of these fella's:
    [​IMG]
    They truly sound great, and I love their look (they are quiet big though). Too bad they are too expensive for me...

12. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone, I will check them out today, I'm heading that way in an hour

13. BeefUK macrumors member

Have a look at this:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/

I'm gonna be buying a MB or MBP as soon as merom is released, but I already have some 5.1 speakers which I want to keep.
    This firewave from griifin seems to me to be the only way to link a 5.1 system with an apple laptop.

Maybe there are other solutions elsewhere???

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have these speakers and I LOVE THEM- highly, highly recommended! :)

15. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I thought the MBP has a optical out? Well you can use a 5.1 set with your MBP analog line out, but since it doesn't provide 5.1, dd, dts, you can only simulate it. Your better off with a 2.1 set then I guess.

16. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

THats pretty sweet!

17. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Depends on how you define "best". First, do you want a subwoofer or not (2.1 system, 2.0, 4.1, 5.1?). Sub's give better bass response, but generally distort the original sound and also have a very "seperated" feel since you can tell that the bass is coming from your feet while the mid and treble is coming from in front of you.

I ended up with a 2.0 system as they are generally much more balanced and provide better sound for music listening.