Best Config for Powerbook G4 1.33

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by liketom, Sep 16, 2004.

1. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    doing some benchmarks i started to think what the best config was to get my powerbook doing some overtime that it should be .
    my current config-
    Powerbook G4 @ 1.33 GHz
    512mb PC2700 ( 2 x 256 mb)
    60 GB 4200 rpm HDD (stock)
    Panther 10.3.5
    1152 x 762 Screen res

running iLife 04, Final Cut Express 2.0.

So .. upgrades!!! well i could get 2 x 512mb sticks but price is putting me off Apple UK store £210 each! so that would be £420 for a 1GB rig (is the performance really worth £420 ?) or i could splash out for a 1GB stick @£490 each ! 2 GB for £980 !!!!

Next would be a faster HDD even a 5400 rpm model will add performance to the Powerbook and you will be looking at around £70-140 for a drive. again this is cheaper then RAM but it will void my warranty, i have heard that fitting is a bit tricky .

So what have you Powerbook owners done to get more bounce per ounce out of your Powerbook - If any one has found any CHEAP alternative's please let me know.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The best thing you can do is buy the 1.5ghz machine. The processor can never be upgraded in the Powerbooks, so it should come first.

Next, RAM. Don't buy from Apple! Crucial and others have the same quality RAM for half the price in some cases. Buy 1x512MB from Apple, and then get another 512MB or 1GB stick from another retailer. 1GB total is preferable for OS X, 1.5GB if you're doing video... or more :D

Hard drive: If you're going to do Final Cut Express, you should look into an external hard drive if possible. For the money, they are faster and have more storage. Look for a Firewire 800 7200RPM drive of at least 120GB. LaCie has some good ones. If you're going to be capturing from a DV cam on the road, then you might want to consider getting the 5400rpm drive from Apple. If not, then go external.

Just FYI, the Powerbooks have a 1280x854 resolution :)
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Don't buy Apple memory. Hell, don't buy any memory after Infineon's little admisison to the courts of law... but seriously, will sort you out for relatively cheap sticks. You need either this one, or this one. The more expensive 512 stick is CL2.5, which you don't need; Powerbooks use CL3 on the soldered memory so you gain nothing.

Hm, you didn't upgrade the HD. Basically, you need to ask yourself if you're happy getting your hands dirty and voididng your warraty. Personally, I wouldn't risk it...
  4. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    thanks for you advice just bought 2 x 512 mb sticks , like you idea about external HDD whats the best make to go with ? lacie ? 160 Gb +