best console/games for when your mates are around that are just so fun!

Discussion in 'Games' started by student_trap, May 11, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey guys,

Please share your stories of good times with X console and X games with your mates, and if possible, give me little help with my question below:

I want to buy a console (or more games for what i have already) so that when i have mates round, we can all pick it up and play a game of whatever, (without having to learn intricate controls), which is entertaining and a great laugh!

I remember fondly playing goldeneye or mariokart64, or quake 3 aren/virtua tennis/football on my DC years ago, and am looking for games for similar fun times. I have a nintendo 64, Dreamcast and PS2.

The importance is that the games are fun and with a short leaning curve...long time use is not going to happen, just games that are good to play when your lashed!

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't think you can beat the classics.

Super Nintendo - Mariok Kart and NBA Jam, Mortal Combat
    Nintendo 64/Cube - MarioKart, Golden Eye, Super Smash Bros and Mario part.

3. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Guitar Hero on PS2. Two guitar controllers let you trade licks, so to speak.

The next version is reported to permit one player to do guitar and the 2nd player can choose the bass line. One of the tunes is YYZ.

This is loads of fun.

Mario Party 7 on GC

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say the one that supports more players. Smash Bros Melee is great if you're all about the same skill at it (n00b, pro, whatever), frustrating otherwise.
    Mario Party. Don't knock it. Possibly the most immersive and fun multiplayer game ever.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've had some of the most multiplayer fun with Xbox and Halo 1 and 2.

This of course depends on the games everyone likes. I'm not a fan of Super Smash Bros so that didn't work for me. I like Mario Party but not many of my friends did, so it all depends.

Being able to hook up a second/third/fourth Xbox to get 8/12/16 players is also great... I've had no problems finding enough people for 6-8 player team games! :)

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Super Monkey Ball are probably the best group games. I've never play SSBM (I know I know - to my defense my wifes not big on fighting games) but I hear it terrible good fun multiplayer.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oh yes, Mario Kart is excellent. I also really like Fuzion Frenzy, which is the Xbox equivelent of Mario Party.

The fact that the Halo games have co-op is also great when you just have one other person to play with.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, the handicap mode on SSBM is great for playing with those at a different skill level. I've even lost a few battles considering handicaps and all.

I also like super mario strikers.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

TS2/TS3 are great ones (I'd say TS2 would be the better one, though)

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Didn't know that Burnout2 had a crash mode. :eek:

I love Burnout 3 and 4's crash modes though. :D

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, Auto handicap is brilliant. Gonna put my hands up and say I enjoy beating Caroline in Smash Bros Melee. Only she got annoyed. so we tried the handicap. It's no fair! or just too fair, perhaps. 1 star me against 9 star her.
    What I meant was the controls. Auto-handicap on if you don't know the controls you're screwed (attack)... gettit? ... sorry.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

SNES....Mortal Kombat 2......fininshing all of my friends...HAHA....good times.

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Agrees. Though Mortal Kombat 3 on the Mega Drive was mine :)

Rival Schools too. But thats only a 2 player :(

16. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

Bomberman (GC, PS1)

Tons of fun, and easy enough that everyone can play.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ahh Rival Schools, king of fighters, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury, World/history fighters(anybody remember this one? with the character that throw roses at you oh and this next fella one of his moves was the DDT)....all great.

Bless

18. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Dance Dance Revolution series on PS2. Crazy little party game, always ending up all laughing and you can actually burn a lot of calories playing it. It's definately simple (but somehow addictive, you always want to get those A scores) and is fun.

19. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Well played! My friends used to play this back in college...there's no simpler game as far as learning curve that is more fun.

Trapping your friends behind bombs and watching that split second while they explode, only to find out that you've been trapped in by someone else in the meantime...nothing funner than that!

20. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

hi guys, just replying to say that i bought a gamecube on a whim last sunday, it just seemed like such a good deal, what do you think? I picked up (all brand new):

Gamecube in pearl white
    Mario Smash Football
    Sonic Riders
    Ice Age 2
    Memory card

all for £85!!! i then bought (second hand) 2 more controllers and mario kart for about £25.

Anyway, bringing this thread back on topic... the mario smash football is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun its actually ridiculous. The cube is beginning to resemble my old Dreamcast in that it isn't the most popular/powerful, but its games are just so dam fun!

21. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I did the same thing on impulse in March-- bought a silver GC, 4 controllers and

Mario Kart
    Smash Bros
    Metroid and Resident Evil 4 (for after the kids go to bed)
    since I've picked up windwaker and Donkey Konga

unbelievably fun and dirt cheap

22. cubist macrumors 68020

On Playstation/PS2, Crash Team Racing. It's a playstation game but plays fine on PS2, and it's the closest thing you can get to Mario Karts on Sony hardware.

23. turbopants macrumors regular

Gotta agree with the Bomberman suggestion, just great fun. As well as NBA Jam, Mario Kart, and Mario Party. Good times. :D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just a shame in term of fun Mario Kart !> Crash Team Racing.

Anywho. Bomberman DS is a great multiplayer game. Always have a 5-6 player on that. the shouty-bomb mode is a lot of fun :D

Can I recommend Worms Armageddon or World Party? Insanely great multiplayer games.