Best Controller for Nintendo Emulators

Discussion in 'Games' started by playaj82, Jul 25, 2006.

1. playaj82 macrumors regular

playaj82

I love to play the old console games on my Mac (NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB controller that doesn't have 8000 buttons, and that works well with the emulators and OS X.

2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Logitech has a dual-analog + directional pad something-or-other that's fantastic for the NES and SNES. Not so much for the Genesis, as you need six face buttons for some games. Actually, all Logitech controllers basically rule.

For that, nothing beats the Sidewinder game pad. Unfortunately, it's a gameport-only pad. :(

3. playaj82 thread starter macrumors regular

playaj82

Do you know if the emulators support any particular game pad, or do all the logitech models typically work?

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You can actually purchase a SNES -> USB adapter so that you can plug in your SNES controller and have it work. Works fine under OSX too! I purchased mines off of Lik-Sang. Its awesome for NES and SNES games, and most other consoles too, including MAME.

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

6. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ironically I reckon the best emulator/2D controller available is (forget the exact name) Logitech PS1/look alike controller. I use it for testing my games which are quite SNES-like and it's very good, thankfully 2D doesn't need the analogue sticks which are of horrendous quality.

Why? The PS1 controller is based on the SNES controller, so it's logical really. Though certainly not the comfiest it's got all the function.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

A DS running DS2Key :cool: Don't think it'l work for OS X though :s

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

An Xbox 360 controller.

Analog sticks on the orginal Zelda! XD

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have one of these. It's awesome, but not very portable, as the cable for the SNES controller is long enough, but then you have to add the USB cable too.
    Also, to get it working in SNES9x, I needed to use Gamepad Companion, which is a shareware (I think, maybe freeware) preference pane, and can map buttons. It'll even do the mouse and trackpad if you want, as it can use any HID device.