Best deals on RAM???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nospleen, Feb 10, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just purchased a dual gig powermac. Where is the best place, price wise, to get the memory. Also, what is the exact kind I need? I looked at 1800memory, but there are so many apple powermac types listed there, I am afraid I am going to buy the wrong one. Tks.

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: Best deals on RAM???

There are two Dual 1 GHz Powermacs. You probably have the MDD version., so search for that when @ 1800memory. There are other places that have quality memory at good prices like Crucial and RamJet-although I've only tried Crucial.

P.S. Although it probably isn't a choice in your mind, whatever you do-DO NOT GET WINBOND MEMORY!!! I got some free when I purchased my MDD Dual 1 GHz, and it caused daily kernel panics. Thanks to the people of MacRumors, I discovered it was a ram problem. So whatever you do, don?t get Winbond. :)

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i would check out www.ramseeker.com. they compare prices from a bunch of online resellers to get the best price. watch that site every few days, and if you think the price is low enough, go for it.

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

http://dealram.com and http://www.pricewatch.com can usually track down good deals on ram. they offer the cheapest options i've seen around. just make sure that you check a few places to see what the price range should be. there are lots of places that will charge you about $20-$30 above market value, so if you only check one place, you may get jacked.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Re: Re: Best deals on RAM???

What does the mdd stand for? Also, I read your sig. That is the exact powermac I purchased. I am waiting for it to arrive. Are you happy with yours? How is the speed? I am switching from a 867 PB by the way. Tks.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You might also want to try http://www.buymemory.com - McDonald and Assoc. I've been buying from them for years and they've never given me anything but the best prices and memory that never has a problem.

If you call, you can tell them what type of machine you have and they'll tell you what you want to get. There's always something nice about talking to a real person, especially someone who know's what they're talking about.

D

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

For further clarification as to what memory your computer uses, download and refer to this freeware program:

Mactracker

9. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I get my memory from www.crucial.com

They offer free next day delivery, and are the cheapest I've seen...