Best desktop fish?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Im talking about the real kind, not a screensaver or anything! Though, it will sit next to my computer. :p

Im thinking a betta fish, in a bowl with some nice water borne plant. Ideas? It seems like their pretty low maintenance little critters... Anybody have experience with them? How do they tolerate temp. differences? It can get pretty hot in my room (no A/C after the last electric bill!)

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    We had a betta fish for a while -- then we were moving and the dog climbed into the front seat and stepped into the bowl and onto the fish.

He (the fish) went kinda neurologic after that -- died a couple of days later.

Anyway, easy to care for (if you're dog isn't stepping on it), low maintenance fish. I can't imagine the temp. difference in your room is going to impact the temperature of the water that significantly? This link says to maintain a temp. of 65-75 F, but other stuff I've read says to maintain at 80 F.
  3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    Another vote for Bettas , they are really low maintainance, small tank is actually better for them ie under a gallon...
    dont mix with other fish...

Gold fish are good too, not the feeder variaty but the fancy have to clean tank pretty often though .
  4. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

How often does the [rather small] tank get dirty with bettas?

Also, it easily gets ~80º+ in my room during the second half of the summer (like I said, after I see the electric bill for the first half :eek: ) so if the water were to reach ~90º I may have an upside down betta fish...