Best Display? Apple or Dell

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LukasD, Oct 12, 2006.

1. LukasD macrumors newbie

Now I realise I'm only a new poster and may have mentioned the evil "D" word very early on but I still have to ask:

Should I buy a Dell 24" disply or the Apple 20"?

I work as a photographer and can't quite afford an Eizo or LaCie display but am looking to use an external display with either a Macbook Pro or Macbook (just waiting until the Core 2's).

The chosen display will be calibrated using a eye-one device for photoshop and other apps.

Let me know what you think (and have experienced).

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

To be honest. I'd go with the Dell.

There have been a lot of Dell Vs. Apple monitor arguements :rolleyes: on here and Dell seems to be the winner. Picture quality is great and the price is much, much better than the Apple displays. They are hugely over priced for what you get, IMO! Also, with the Dell, you get an extra 4" and who doesn't want 4 more inches. :p ;)

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've now got both 23" ACD and the 24" Dell, and even in that comparison between the same screen sizes I say go with the Dell. The Apple is a little prettier (oh all right, a LOT prettier if you're looking at it from the back) but it's a more flexible product which doesn't give away anything in image quality, and it costs less.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Dell most def, you just get soo much more for your money and its cheaper than the ACDs.

5. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I agree, the Dell does give you a bit more bang for the buck. You will not be missing too much in foregoing the Apple display.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Dell. No decision at all. Dell 24'' vs. a ACD 20'' for same price? Um, Dell please.

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I don't know where you are, but here in the UK at least, the 'cheap' Eizo displays have just had a big drop in price. The 24" s2410w is now a similar price to the Apple 23", so maybe the 21" Eizo is on the cards for your budget.

David

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

do all you newbies freaking feel the need to bash all non-apple stuff in order for you to feel you freaking fit in this forum? GOSH, pathetic.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Oh stuff it man. Sheesh. Go on your merry way and get over yourself.

And for the record. I'm buying a 23" display unless someone can recommend a non-dell display that is widescreen and has as good a picture quality. Sorry, no more dell for me. They make crap products and their displays are horrid looking. I don't want to be looking straight on the monitor to get the correct colors and with a dell that is what you pretty much ahve to do.

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

do you have something to say in your first paragraph other than "i have nothing to say, but i dont like you, so shut up"

and for your monitor choice, i respect the choice you made, and as long as you are happy with it, it's all good. but if you cannot appreciate something (which is really not your fault, if you have no feel for it) that a LOT other people appreciate, it's only your loss.

I have a dell 1907, it looks beautiful... i wish i had gotten the bigger one tho.

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, looking at this thread from my ACD 30" it's hard not to say sod the extra screen size and get the Apple. I've had many Dell monitors over the years, and while the screens themselves have been perfect they don't exactly make one's computer a nice place to be. If you spend a lot of time infront of a computer, like I do, you really start to appreciate Apple's industrial design.

If you could afford the 23" ACD I'd say go for it... but four inches is a lot and it may well be that there are practical benefits for you in having a bigger screen. 20" isn't that big these days.

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

The first paragraph was your attitude at the whole "newbies feeling they need to bash a non-apple brand to feel 'in'" Who gives a rip? It's a message board on the internet. Does it really matter? No.

I've been looking at Samsung monitors... they appear to be significantly better than Dell from the discussions I've had. May I suggest looking at them instead of Dell.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Apple ACD = IPS panel
    Dell = PVA panel

IPS = wide viewing angle.

I like IPS.

IPS also costs more.

Me speek broken inglish.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I bought the 23" Apple Cinema Display and wish I had gotten the 30" ;)

It's a really gorgeous screen (not talking about aesthetics here) and I fully appreciate it. I wouldn't allow myself near a Dell after this one.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

lol. :rolleyes: :p

16. asencif macrumors 6502

So the Dell's are not good when viewing from an angle at all then? Also, I see that the 2407FPW is on sale at 679.15. Have any of you who have this monitor bought a Small Business coupon from ebay and applied it to this? Can you put it on top of the already discounted price? I'm actually debating heavily on which monitor to buy as well.

17. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

IPS is one of the reasons I'm going with the 23" display over PVA on the Dell. It's color representation is better at angles.. face it, you won't always be starring directly dead center on your screen. You also say you're working on photos... may I humbly suggest a screen 23" or smaller that is a IPS display. You'll thank yourself later.

18. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I love the Apple Displays. However, for both cost reasons and a funtionality reason, I had to go with the Dell. The Dell allows a DVI input, a VGA input, and composite inputs. This allows me to easily toggle between my Powerbook, a crappy windows laptop I need for GPS applications and an Xbox- all one screen.

Still wish I could afford the 30" . The acreage just trumps it all.

19. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I have both two 20 inch monitors, one dell one apple.
    Very similar tech specs.... but the one major difference is the backlight used.
    I have had nothing but trouble getting a good brightness balance with the dell. even with color spyders. Day to day for email etc no problem but its blows for acurate color for video or my girl friends photography

20. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I suggest you read this thread before you make a decision. I goes into more detail the differences between the technologies inside the displays. And I believe the LaCie displays are rebranded NECs.

21. asencif macrumors 6502

That's a great thread. Very informative, although I have been told by others that it's a higher degree count away from the center of the screen than stated on the thread before the distortion is seen. Not sure how badly this will affect Final Cut Pro usage. I'm thinking of going with the 23'inch ACD, however have to make sure they give me one with the updated specs.

22. Zeke macrumors 6502

No one seems to know about the Samsung 244t. Much better display than both the Apple and the Dell. Great for photo editing. Plus, you don't have to see "Dell" every day.

23. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

24. asencif macrumors 6502

Looks great except is the height adjustable?....Looks kind of high

25. Zeke macrumors 6502

Yes, height is adjustable. I have mine all the way to the top and find it very nice. Great display!