Best Display for Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mddharma, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2005
    Hagerstown, Md
    Ok, I currently have a Ti 15" powerbook, but WILL SOON be buying a new 12" powerbook (as SOON as they update the line). I was going to purchase I thought a new 17" Apple LCD Display, but found out that the companies that were quoting the price had none in stock.

So... I have two options. One being purchasing an apple studio display on ebay, or just go out and purchase a new 19" LCD display.

My question for discussion would be: 1) would you consider buying a used LCD monitor off of ebay? 2) What new 19" LCD would you recommend in the $450 price range?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :)
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    No! No warranty, no guarantee of condition.
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Search the forum you find heaps and heaps of recommendations for the Dell 20" wide screen, can't remember the name but some one will post it.
  4. jamie85 macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    I've heard good reviews about the Dell 1905FP 19", which is going for around ~$300 on eBay. Froogle gives as the lowest at $383 .

Or you could spend $250 more and get an (open box) Apple 20". :D
  5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I'd recommend buying a Dell 2005FPW, 20" widescreen LCD (1680x1050) just like the Apple ACD. Should cost around $400-500 currently depending on coupons, sometimes dipping under $400 at the right time with the right coupons.
  6. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Depends on how much screen realestate you want/need.

Apple displays are a bit overprices, but if you want "the looks" its what you are looking for.

I have a Viewsonic 17" which im really happy with.

Be sure to get a display that supports dvi try a few before you decide, but the market is full with very good LCD for a really low price atm
  7. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2005
    Hagerstown, Md
    I am looking for a 19" I think, and I do not have to have widescreen. Also, I think I want to stay away from dell. Just personal problems with some of their stuff in the past at work, and I hate the idea of helping Michael out. :eek:

Now that is not to say I am saying never on the Dell. What model Viewsonic?
  8. Euan macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2005
    You may be waiting a while.
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Dell's LCDs are cheaper and better than Apple's anyway. Apple and Dell also both get them from LG (when it comes to Dell's widescreens.....not sure about the rest).