Best Dressed Homeless in the World!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Feb 23, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004

Not a bad deal, sounds practical and effecient to me, of course the designer that got ripped off might not be too happy, although the labels were removed. Imagine seeing your $5000 suit on the homeless of Seoul!

Now would "The Donald" want to know that he looked like the homeless in Seoul? :p
  2. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well that's cool finaly somebody getting to use these fake thing (normally they get burned)

And now the homeless won't feel as homeless ;)
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    seems like an excellent use of confiscated government items... i wonder if the US does anything like that here? would be an interesting program to start
  4. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i think it is a good idea. it is better than throwing them away or what ever they will do with them. its kind of like free aid for the homeless!
  5. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    yep definitely better then the stuff getting burnt :D
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    When I was volunteering with the homeless in Detroit, we once got a big stack of Coogi jeans and sweaters that were fakes confiscated. Yeah, I got a kick out of dressing up our homeless individuals too. :D
  7. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Giving those clothes to the homeless shows they've really got Seoul!

Please....I had to...
  8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

how long will it take till these clothes end up at the black market again?
  9. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    I don't think the idea is to long-term help these homeless people by giving them a pair of jeans. It's more of a "what the heck else are we going to do with them?" sort of thing. Plus, who is going to buy "designer" jeans from a homeless person? And what homeless person is going to seek out a black-market "designer" jeans distributor?
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    definitly better than letting the clothes go to waste, good idea of putting something to use
  11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Perhaps...but to be honest, most homeless people wear clothes until they aren't really suitable for wearing, by them or anyone else, and then change clothes at a shelter or clothes closet. At least that's my limited experience. It's hard to carry a lot of things around, unless you are in a really nice shelter, which lets you store stuff.
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It's a good use of confiscated property. Since they were fakes, they would have flaws and not be like the real thing. So I don't think it should bother the Hollywood Elite. A way to improve self esteem with the homeless.
  13. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005

You'd be surprised at how good fakes are. The fake bags from Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China, for example, aren't your average Tijuana specials. They're very hard to discern from the real thing. Has anyone seen the fake Callaway golf clubs from China? Take a real good luck. Swing the driver even. They're almost identical to the real ones made here.

Further, no consumer who buys fake clothing or accessories gets burned; the fakes are not marketed as real stuff. They're marketed as fakes, priced substantially cheaper than reals. The ones who get cheated are the trademark owners, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of the real stuff when people buy the fake stuff instead.

On the other hand, most people who buy fake stuff were never in the market for real stuff anyway. If you can afford and covet a 2000 dollar italian suit, you probably value the retail experience and authenticity of the real thing. If not, then you were never really in the market for the 2000 suit anyway.

so 1. the fakes seem very real to most people 2.they're priced as fakes, not as reals 3. people who buy fakes would never have bought reals anyway, so trademark owners aren't really burned